Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2019/20

16 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

League match 5 for both teams. Musselburgh Athletic made the short (5 mile) journey to meet Tranent Juniors. The home side were sitting comfortably in 2nd place in the Premier League, knowing a win would take them to the top of the league. A draw/win for The Burgh would keep them away from the bottom 3.

After the good cup tie win of last week, Musselburgh kept the same starting line up for the 2nd time in succession. A glorious day and a big crowd at Forester Park saw the match kick off at 14:31.

First shot of the match, in four minutes, fell to the home side. Ball was played out of the Burgh goal area and Sean Murphy (Skip) hit the ball from 20 yards, just over the bar.

For the opening 12 minutes, lots of strong but fair tackles were going in. Unfairly though, Michael Moffat was awarded a yellow card at that point. He and a Tranent player both went up for a 50/50 ball. Michael Moffat stood standing after the challenge, but the home side player fell to the ground and the referee deemed a foul, when play should have continued.

A minute later and Tranent were on the attack. Shaun Rutherford hit a s25 yarder, but it hit the back of Kyle Lander. In the follow up move, Lander got the ball again but the flag was up for offside.

Back in play and in 15 minutes Mathu King and Shaun Rutherford went in for a tackle, with Mathu King staying on the ground. As play carried on, Rutherford immediately shouted for the ref to stop the match. After treatment to a leg injury, Mathu King went off for further treatment before resuming play. His first touch saw Mathu King hobbling and in 19 minutes, the Musselburgh captain could not continue and was replaced by Darren Downie.

With 23 minutes on the clock, some Burgh fans in the shed were shouting for a foul for their team. However, play moved on and towards the Burgh goals; where after a pass back, Kyle Lander hit a bullet shot into the back of the net, which gave Paul Grant no chance and 1-0 to Tranent.

Two minutes later; Grant Nelson had a corner for Tranent. Ball was put out for another corner, this time taken by Rutherford. Ball came to Ian Black whose shot brought out a good save from Burgh’s Paul Grant.

Burgh had an attack up the right wing on 28 minutes. Ball then crossed over to the left hand side, where Nathan Evans picked it up and moved towards the penalty area. Nathan Evans had a chance to shoot, but continued his run, which allowed the Tranent defence time to tackle and clear the danger. Time and again in different matches, Burgh have done this; try to take extra steps when the better option would be to shoot for goal!

With 10 minutes till half time, another chance came Nathan Evans way. His shot was met by an outstretched Adams, who cleared ball for a throw-in. In the next move Jackie Myles had a shot, just inside the Tranent goal area. The ball went wide and Jackie Myles fell down and claimed a penalty but the ref was having none of that.

Ian Black became the first Tranent player in the book, on 43 minutes for a foul on Jack Gillan. A minute later, the Tranent midfielder was on the deck, shouting for a foul and again the ref ignored the call.

Into injury time and from the left side of pitch, Black floated in the ball which was headed wide by centre half, Dean Whitson. Great chance for a second goal. Soon after the ref blew his whistle.

Half time: Tranent Juniors 1-0 Musselburgh Athletic.

Second half kicked off at 15:32. Bradley Whyte brought down Black just outside the box with 50 minutes gone. After just been spoken to a couple of minutes earlier, Bradley Whyte would consider himself fortunate not to receive a booking. Rutherford took a poor free kick and Burgh sighed a breathe of relief.

Up Musselburgh went, with Jackie Myles passing to Nathan Evans. The striker squared the ball over the Tranent six yard box, but there were no takers and the ball trundled out for a throw in.

Jackie Myles won a midfield tussle with Stephen MacDonald in the middle of the park. As Jackie Myles turned, ball was played to Nathan Evans and his shot flew past Adams and out for a Tranent goal kick.

Into the last half hour of match and a bye kick for Tranent is controlled by Darren Downie who played the ball out to Michael Moffat. As he looked up, Michael Moffat put ball into the Tranent Box. Both Nathan Evans and Darren Downie were unmarked and both up for the header. Somehow Nathan Evans got to the ball, but his header went wide of the post.

Whilst Tranent were dominant in the first half, Musselburgh were more than matching the home team in the second. This was reflected on 65 minutes when the best chance of half came to Musselburgh. Darren Downie smashed the ball from the edge of box, but an equally good save by Ally Adams.

A minute later and Stephen MacDonald, who had a quiet match, came off for Tranent. Jamie Devlin replaced the big centre forward. On 68 minutes, Andrew Jones should have put Tranent further ahead. However, Jones hesitated in front of goals, which allowed Tom Clare time to clear the ball. Back came Tranent and this time Jones did have a shot, but Paul Grant produced the save.

On 71 minutes Musselburgh had a throw in on the left hand side of pitch. Bradley Donaldson, speaking to his defensive line stated that Tranent had not even started the second half yet! At that point Conor Thomson came into the box and was brought down. Penalty to Musselburgh and Donaldson’s valiant attempt to change the ref’s decision did not work.

Conor Thomson took the spot and ball placed into the corner of net. Tranent now knew they were in for a match as the score levelled at 1-1.

Just after the kick off, following the penalty, Bradley Whyte was shown a yellow, following a tackle on Grant Nelson. On 74 minutes, three minutes after Burgh levelled, Tranent players and fans shouted for a penalty, following a coming-to in the box between Michael Moffat and Jamie Devlin, but the referee played on.

Soon after, Bradley Whyte got injured following a tackle by Kyle Lander. The referee let play continue; then two minutes later, Rutherford was shown the yellow card for a challenge on Darren Downie, just as the home fans thought the ref had blown for an offside decision against Nathan Evans. At that point the referee held up play to allow Bradley Whyte to receive treatment.

Eleven minutes remained as both teams brought on subs; Black off for the home side, with Shaun Hill coming on. For Burgh Gary Cherrie replaced Jack Gillan.

Into the last five minutes and Musselburgh broke up from defence. Nathan Evans ran passed Bradley Donaldson on the left hand side of pitch. Nathan Evans moved inside and try to square the ball to Darren Downie. Dean Whitson intercepted the pass with his knee and danger cleared for the home side.

Four minutes remaining and the referee booked Conor Thomson, for what was an incident before the last attack by Burgh. The away team were going to rue that decision, as in the next move Conor Thomson was again penalised for a challenge. Within 30 seconds, Conor Thomson got two yellows, which meant an early shower for him.

From the free kick, taken by Shaun Hill, beside the Tranent dugout, the ball was hit into the Burgh goalmouth. Bradley Donaldson failed to connect with a back header. But as the ball landed, Kyle Lander was there and got his second goal of the match, and in his debut to boot! Jubilation for the home fans, players and bench as all the coaching team were on the pitch dancing about!

In order to try and salvage a point, Tom Clare was replaced by Daniel McBay. Tranent also played their last sub, with Lewis Hawkins on for Rutherford.

Into injury time and Grant Nelson went down injured. As he got up, Nelson was booked; again, must have been for an earlier infringement. Four minutes of added time, saw Musselburgh given a thrown in, close to the 18 yard box. As most of the Burgh players were pushed up, Tranent got the ball and a great run made by Andrew Jones. Michael Moffat made a last man tackle, on the edge of the box and before the ref could even go to his pocket, Michael Moffat was heading to the dressing room - knowing the red card was on the way.

Free kick came to nothing and after that the ref blew the whistle.

Full time: Tranent Juniors 2-1 Musselburgh.

Those involved with the home side would not be wrong in thinking that Tranent dominated the first half and could easily have gone in three up.
The second half Musselburgh competed far better and should have come away with at least a draw. Kyle Lander had a dream debut for Tranent, scoring both their goals. On the evidence of 90 minutes, you wonder what Newtongrange were thinking of, by letting the transfer go through! However, even with the two goals, my man of the match was the centre half, Dean Whitson, who was immense in defence for the home side.

For Musselburgh, after an edgy first 45; they played a lot better in a game that was harsh for them to lose. However, the away team contributed to their own demise on two accounts.

After receiving his first yellow, Conor Thomson had no need to go into the tackle which produced the yellow. I was unsighted at the time, but as play was on half way line, Conor Thomson should have avoided close contact.

Then, when the free kick was taken, even down to 10 men, it did not look like the defence (all Burgh players) were ready. Ball came to Donaldson and even though he missed the ball, there was no challenge. Then Lander should not be allowed to get his smash and grab goal!

Easy in hindsight; but best option at that point would have been to put either Liam Reid or Brian Martin on before the free kick was taken. Not sure who the Burgh man of match has gone to, but I would have given it to either Jackie Myles or Bradley Whyte.

Decent report CJ, don’t think mussy deserved more than a draw though! Considering we should have had the game put to bed first half we had 3 one on ones second half. The tackle from the right back was a shocking tackle and one that could have caused serious injury to Jamie Devlin. Having said that he is a class player and one you will no doubt miss over the coming weeks, he is one of the best right backs I have seen. The other player who stuck out was the young holding midfielder left sided player. The big question i would be asking myself if I was a mussy fan, why are they at the bottom 3 of the league on that showing!! 

First half it looked a non contest but second half you controlled most of the game, and looked a very decent team. Continue playing like that and you will be fine this year. 

One negative apart from running out of pies (mines was beautiful)!! The big centre half was poor, the younger of the 2. Not sure if he’s just stepped up from your 20’s but he’s out his depth at this level.   

21 minutes ago, BigTboy said:

Decent report CJ, don’t think mussy deserved more than a draw though! Considering we should have had the game put to bed first half we had 3 one on ones second half. The tackle from the right back was a shocking tackle and one that could have caused serious injury to Jamie Devlin. Having said that he is a class player and one you will no doubt miss over the coming weeks, he is one of the best right backs I have seen. The other player who stuck out was the young holding midfielder left sided player. The big question i would be asking myself if I was a mussy fan, why are they at the bottom 3 of the league on that showing!! 

First half it looked a non contest but second half you controlled most of the game, and looked a very decent team. Continue playing like that and you will be fine this year. 

One negative apart from running out of pies (mines was beautiful)!! The big centre half was poor, the younger of the 2. Not sure if he’s just stepped up from your 20’s but he’s out his depth at this level.   

Can't really argue with anything you said. I was surprised that a number of Tranent supporters were saying that a draw would have been the fairest of results.

If I was a Tranent supporter I would have been gutted if we hadn't got the three points. As I eluded to in my summing up and as you mention in your comments, if Tranent had got 3 goals in the first half, games a goner for us! But having went in only 1-0 down, and getting the equaliser then we were back in the match. We then had a chance, about 5 minutes to go to get what could have been the winner - but for Dean making a great interception.That is where my winning thought came in - no more than that!

Again I agree with Michael's tackle. Luckily your guy, Andrew Jones(?) got straight back up, so tackle perhaps not as bad as first looked! We will miss Michael - great player, who just came back from injury along with our left back - Jordan. For me - up there with the best right/left back duo in the league.

Three last points.

I agree with you on the centre half; sometimes I think that managers/coaches see things that supporters don't. Perhaps that is why I am not a manager, but also doesn't say that the manager is always right!

We are in the bottom three because our performances have merited it. With the pool we have, we should be higher up the league, but our first six performances didn't back that up! Last two matches we are back to playing the way we should. If I was the boss, I would make two changes, but I am not going to quantify this on P&B.

Finally - pie-gate as someone tried to call it! - There must be at least half of every crowd that go to a match that want a pie or a sausage roll?! Was told that one hundred pies went quickly; now either the club did not think that more than 200 would turn up (which I doubt), or that Tranent supporters look after their figures (not like me) so don't eat that many pies, and the majority of them were bought by the away fans!

Going back to what I said earlier - this is why I like P&B - I notes are only my reflection of a match and i write them up after each Musselburgh match. o am no reporter, but I think a Musselburgh fan who gives a fair reflection of what I see. You disagreed with some of it, and that is fine as it is all about opinion. I said for the Dunbar, Preston and mostly for the Crossgates matches that the winning team deserved the 3 points. If Burgh are poor - hopefully that comes through in my notes.

Cheers BigT

29 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Can't really argue with anything you said. I was surprised that a number of Tranent supporters were saying that a draw would have been the fairest of results.

If I was a Tranent supporter I would have been gutted if we hadn't got the three points. As I eluded to in my summing up and as you mention in your comments, if Tranent had got 3 goals in the first half, games a goner for us! But having went in only 1-0 down, and getting the equaliser then we were back in the match. We then had a chance, about 5 minutes to go to get what could have been the winner - but for Dean making a great interception.That is where my winning thought came in - no more than that!

Again I agree with Michael's tackle. Luckily your guy, Andrew Jones(?) got straight back up, so tackle perhaps not as bad as first looked! We will miss Michael - great player, who just came back from injury along with our left back - Jordan. For me - up there with the best right/left back duo in the league.

Three last points.

I agree with you on the centre half; sometimes I think that managers/coaches see things that supporters don't. Perhaps that is why I am not a manager, but also doesn't say that the manager is always right!

We are in the bottom three because our performances have merited it. With the pool we have, we should be higher up the league, but our first six performances didn't back that up! Last two matches we are back to playing the way we should. If I was the boss, I would make two changes, but I am not going to quantify this on P&B.

Finally - pie-gate as someone tried to call it! - There must be at least half of every crowd that go to a match that want a pie or a sausage roll?! Was told that one hundred pies went quickly; now either the club did not think that more than 200 would turn up (which I doubt), or that Tranent supporters look after their figures (not like me) so don't eat that many pies, and the majority of them were bought by the away fans!

Going back to what I said earlier - this is why I like P&B - I notes are only my reflection of a match and i write them up after each Musselburgh match. o am no reporter, but I think a Musselburgh fan who gives a fair reflection of what I see. You disagreed with some of it, and that is fine as it is all about opinion. I said for the Dunbar, Preston and mostly for the Crossgates matches that the winning team deserved the 3 points. If Burgh are poor - hopefully that comes through in my notes.

Cheers BigT

It’s was Devlin who was brought down, it was the same player who was brought down from the same player for a pen, again I thought it was a stonewaller  

I was the first to say to the boys around me in the shed afterwards we got out of jail! On the second half performance if mussy had got the draw no complaints whatsoever IMO. What I would say at home this year our second half performances have been poor, Whitehill was example of that, St Andrew’s last week. However I think Saturday was more to do with mussy being really good. 

Good luck my man, I’m sure by the next time we meet Musselburgh won’t be in the bottom 3. I want all EL to do well, shows on Saturday with the crowd that’s what it’s all about, great crowd, great banter - nah pies lol. That is poor, god knows what the TJ’s committee was thinking.  

27 minutes ago, BigTboy said:

It’s was Devlin who was brought down, it was the same player who was brought down from the same player for a pen, again I thought it was a stonewaller  

I was the first to say to the boys around me in the shed afterwards we got out of jail! On the second half performance if mussy had got the draw no complaints whatsoever IMO. What I would say at home this year our second half performances have been poor, Whitehill was example of that, St Andrew’s last week. However I think Saturday was more to do with mussy being really good. 

Good luck my man, I’m sure by the next time we meet Musselburgh won’t be in the bottom 3. I want all EL to do well, shows on Saturday with the crowd that’s what it’s all about, great crowd, great banter - nah pies lol. That is poor, god knows what the TJ’s committee was thinking.  

if the last man challenge at the end was Devlin - then I will change my notes and thank you. I thought Andrew Jones picked the ball up from defence and assumed it was him that got tackled. I was up at the Tranent 18 yard line at the time - sometimes its hard to see all that happens - especially when watching and writing at same time.

Same for me with East Lothian teams and hoped at least that Haddington may have joined us - good that Dunbar did!

I think we will be fine over the period, but we have to keep the performances up; particularly as our next two league matches, I think, are against Linlithgow and Bo'ness.

Just back from Musselburgh Athletic U20s v Penicuik U20s. Will write down my notes of match later.

I was surprised and disappointed to see Liam Reid play as I thought he would have played tomorrow, given it was a cup tie.

I was positive at start of season as it looked as if we had strength in ‘covering’ positions and a few good trialists on view, though not all could sign. Manager will never please all players with a big pool, but cup ties could give him a chance to field fringe players, who do not start most matches. 

Brian Martin signed this week, so hopefully he will start match - fitness permitting.  Great opportunity for Liam Reid to join him to see how well they play together. This year the centre half position has been a bit of a miss match! Fact Liam played tonight probably puts a kybosh on that thought!

id also give the new goalie a chance, again to see how he does in a competitive match! Who’d be a keeper if you were not the no.1 At least if you give a keeper a cup competition to play in, it keeps his interest in tow!

Midfield, we could have Cherrie, McBay, Gregory and O’Kane in as a totally different 4 from last week. Mathu King fit - he’d be in, alongside Downie who came on as sub last week. Last season, they scored over 50 between them. Not happening so much this season, but they don’t appear to be on together much these weeks. I’d keep Jordan and Michael in, so that would be only 3 from last week still in with eight coming in. Not sure that would weaken our team too much as all good players.

wouldn't be my best starting line up, but you have to give players match time to see how they are playing. Training can’t give you that!!

Now just need to wait 16 hours to see the real line up!

Got two notes of matches to write up tomorrow so some comments from today.

From last night post, got four out of five right for defence. Only difference was Tom Clare still in, with Liam Reid on bench.

Have to say some players you take to - others some time too!

Jordan’s first match at home to Bo’ness could have got him man of match  - an assured performance. Fact that Tom Clare played and Liam Reid didn’t says an awful lot. Manager either doesn’t trust Liam or just thinks that Tom is streets ahead. But, if you look at his demeanour, even though Kevin likes him as a player, it doesn’t show on part.

Only 1 out of 4 of my midfielders got picked, though Liam Gregory must be injured or away as not in pool. Declan came back following suspension, but still no place for either Gary Cherrie / Daniel McBay. Still don’t get why fringe players don’t gat a chance in a cup match and after watching the win, the Under 20s would have won against Mid Annandale. An ideal chance for both Gary and Daniel to get a full match and attempt to show why they should be in the team. Perhaps speaks volumes that a guy that came on for last 30 minutes, was voted player of the match!

Mathu King still suffering from injury so forward line picked itself.

3. Thoughts.

Seemed a token gesture that the three subs came on in the first place. 

Although we won 5-0, it was not a good match to watch, particularly 1st half. Something is different from second half of last season and all nine matches so far for this season.

i have a vested interest in the Under 20s, as I watched the team play all season. Four came up to main team, yet if we had all players fit, only 1 person would start regularly. I think a different 2 should start each week!

Football is all about opinion, sometimes you are right / others not. I think I am right! But I ain’t a manager!

Second half was everything I'd want it to be this afternoon Brian, took care of a side that offered a bit more than we could've maybe thought.

Players rested or not fit today but we're through.   Comfortably through.   No complaints from here.

4 hours ago, RobM said:

Second half was everything I'd want it to be this afternoon Brian, took care of a side that offered a bit more than we could've maybe thought.

Players rested or not fit today but we're through.   Comfortably through.   No complaints from here.

No mention of first half Rob?

Some really good play in first 45. Michael Moffat had a couple of nice runs up right wing. But most of the rest wasn’t good.

In second half great goal by Darren, even better by Bradley!

Daniel scored two good goals and showed what it’s like by being direct.

you say players rested and not fit. What are your views on not giving fringe players match time, at least in cup ties.

Two middle aged men watching the same match but with different views of what we saw!

Friday Night Football

League match 4 for Musselburgh and Penicuik U20s at Pinkie. Both teams had won 2 and lost 1 match, with Penicuik just above on goal difference. Strange start to the match as the referee ordered the Musselburgh bench to go over to the other side of pitch beside the Penicuik bench. First time that has happened at Pinkie!

Match kicked off at 19:46. For the first five minutes, Burgh started off the better side. After 4 minutes, Declan Paterson put a good cross into the Penicuik box, but no forward running through to collect. A couple of minutes later Jack Crombie’s shot just went past the Penicuik post.

First goal came in 9 minutes when referee signalled for a penalty. He deemed that Penicuik defender Tickle brought down Liam Reid. Penicuik bench not happy with decision, but Tickle given a yellow card. Ciaran Young stepped forward and sent the keeper the wrong way as his shot hit to the right hand side of net. Musselburgh 1-0 Penicuik.

Lead only lasted eight minutes; this time, a penalty to Penicuik, with Matty Scotland penalised for a foul. Owen Winnik hit the ball down the middle and match was all square at 1-1.

Penicuik now had the upper hand in the match and on took the lead.  From a corner, ball came into the box and Owen Winnik got to the ball. He turned and hit the ball,  which appeared to come off Matty Scotland and past the Burgh keeper, Orr. However, Penicuik Twitter, deemed it was Winnik’s goal, so we will go with that.

Thirty minutes gone; 2-1 to Penicuik.

The equaliser came in 36 minutes with Shaun Taylor hitting a strong finish. Musselburgh finished the stronger team when the half time whistle went.

Half time; as teams went into their huddles, score was 2-2.

Second half kicked off at 20:41. Although there was a lot of action in the first 15 minutes, neither keeper was really brought into action. On 56 minutes, Burgh’s first sub with Devon Craighead on for Declan Paterson. Three minutes later and Owen Winnik got his hat-trick as he went round Blair Orr and put ball in the net. 

In a five minute spell from 70 minutes, Burgh had 3 chances, but 2 were nowhere near the goals and Arron Matheson’s long range effort went straight to keeper.

With six minutes left, there was a collision between the Penicuik substitute (think it was Jack Solway)  and the Burgh keeper. Blair Orr slide in to get the ball but Solway came in a tad late. Result was both players required treatment. Orr was able to continue but after 5 minutes, Solway had to go off injured. There was a bit of an altercation in the dugout between a coach from either side. Penicuik boy seems to get excited about the fact he didn’t say a thing about the incident with the Burgh coach keeping on agreeing with him! A bit painful to watch! As the other coaching staff came back to the dugout, the Penicuik guys seemed to suggest that Blair Orr kicked out and Solway. From my view point, Solway went in late, and actually came off worse. Hope the player recovers soon.

Burgh’s equaliser came from Khasim Mdalasini with around 5 minutes remaining of the match.

Last couple of minutes and Tyler O’Neill beat the Burgh right back Aaron Mathieson and his shot went just wide of post. Then Penicuk’s Grant Doyle had an attempt on goal which brought a good save by Blair Orr.

Final whistle:  Musselburgh U20 3-3 Penicuik U20

First half was better than the second. Burgh took control in the early stage of match, then for long spells, Penicuik were the stronger team, with Burgh regaining control in last few minutes. Second half was much more scrappy affair. Both teams equipped themselves well with a draw probably the fair outcome.

i could not decide on who was Burgh’s best player, but a supporter standing nearby had his say! He thought that an industrious performance in midfield and also in defence when Burgh were in an attacking position from either a free kick or corner. So  Ethan Wynn’s the Burgh player of match.

Looked a fair number of Penicuik supporters at Pinkie, to give an attendance of 109. Since start of set up from 2018-19; highest crowd at Pinkie; perhaps second best crowd Burgh U20 have played in all competitions. From memory, though can’t confirm, highest crowd was away to Hill of Beath U20, early last season.

Edited by Casey Jones

This weekend saw a return to cup football as Mid Annandale were visitors to Olivebank for a 2nd round South Region Challenge Cup tie.

Mid Annandale have played six South of Scotland league matches, with two wins/draws/losses for a total of eight points. Musselburgh played one less in the premier league with three points from only one win.

Musselburgh made four changes to last week’s loss at Tranent. Michael Robertson got his debut in goals; Brian Martin returned to defence after injury, Declan Kane back in midfield following a two match suspension and Darren Downie replaced the injured Mathu King. The other three players giving way were Paul Grant, Johnny McManus and Jack Gillan.

In recent times, you would have thought that Conor Thomson would be captain. But a surprise in proceedings saw Bradley Whyte given the captain’s arm band.

On Ladies day at Olivebank, the match kicked off at 14:32. Musselburgh had the bulk of possession in first 10 minutes and nearest the home side came to scoring was, following a good run and cross by Michael Moffat, Conor attempted an acrobatic shot, which never came off.

Mid Annandale’s first shot came in 13 minutes, but Michael Robinson saved the centre forward’s attempt. Up came Musselburgh, with Bradley Whyte’s speculating shot from the wing, coming off the top of the cross bar.

It was mostly one way football for next 30 minutes, with a few shots, but none of any merit. Then, in the final minute of the half, Burgh were awarded a corner kick. In came the cross from Conor Thomson and Jackie Myles headed ball into net.

Half time: Musselburgh 1-0 Mid Annandale

The home side kicked off second half at 15:32. A couple of minutes later the Mid Annandale no.7 was fouled and free kick awarded. However, the same player was then talked to referee for mouthing off. After 50 minutes, did not see incident, the away side’s no. 15 was helped off the field with either an ankle/leg injury and replaced by no.13 (sorry but no team sheet available).

With 53 minutes on clock, very close to an equaliser. Michael Robinson was away from his goals and only a header off the line by Declan O’Kane saved Burgh’s blushes!

Second goal of match came in 56 minutes. Bradley Whyte’s shot produced a great save by the Annandale keeper. From what looked like a training procedure, as Conor Thomson’s corner came in, Darren Downie was at far side of goals and drove the ball into the net. Great goal. Musselburgh 2-0 Mid Annandale.

Third goal came three minutes later, The away no. 9 had an attempt at goal, but his efforts broke a branch off of a tree at edge of ground! Burgh made their way up the field and ball came towards the captain. After one bounce, Bradley Whyte hit a beauty of a shot from outside box. It was in the next before the Annandale keeper could react. Burgh led 3-0.

On the hour Burgh’s Liam Reid, Gary Cherrie and Daniel McBay replaced Tom Clare, Michael Moffat and Jackie Myles.

Ten minutes later and Burgh’s 4th goal. At edge of box, ball is controlled by Daniel McBay, who then hit a great shot into the middle of the net. Same player got another goal on 80 minutes. At close range, Daniel McBay hit ball past keeper for a 5-0 lead.

In final minute, Declan O’Kane deserved a goal, only stopped by a good save by the keeper.

Final score: Musselburgh 5-0 Mid Annandale.

From the subsequent 3rd round cup draw; Musselburgh travel to North Lanarkshire to meet Lowland league side Caledonian Braves on 12 October.

The first half was a hard watch. As the Musselburgh players went to congratulate Jackie Myles, one of the player’s indicated a similar thought with playing in such a match.

Three cracking goals in the 2nd half, with Daniel McBay stating, with his two goals, to his manager that he should play in next week’s match; another cup tie, away to Inverkeithing.

Perhaps a reflection of how the match went, the man of match award went to a player who was on the pitch for only 30 minutes. Take a bow Daniel McBay; in what was Daniel’s second award of the season.

Tough matches for Musselburgh U20s keep coming! Fourth match in a row at Pinkie sees a local derby as Preston Athletic U20s are the visitors for League cup 1st round! 

Both teams won 2 and drawn 1 in league so should be another close tie! 

Friday night at 7.45pm

A lovely night for watching football. This League Cup tie between Musselburgh U20s and Preston Athletic U20s kicked off at 7.45. There was  a surprise in the line up as Daniel Nichol partnered Kieran Lugton in central defence. While Daniel is one of the best players for Burgh, his height would indicate that, that may not be his best position on the park. We would need to see if that call was correct.

The first few minutes of the match saw Musselburgh on the back foot and it was no surprise in 14 minutes when they went behind. Preston’s no.16 took a corner and as it came into the six yard box, an unmarked no.14 made no mistake with his header, to put the away side 1-0 up.

From the kick off, Burgh lost possession and once again Preston were on the attack. Kieran Lugton cleared the ball from the penalty box but two moves later, the no.16 hit the ball from distance past a static Blair Orr and Burgh were two down. Three minutes later and Burgh were nearly losing by three. Cameron Laidlaw ‘s pass back to Aaron Matheson was too strong and clearance by Daniel Nichol kept the score at 2-0 to Preston.

Kieran Lugton made two penalty box clearances in quick succession. The first, when the left winger crossed the ball; then when the Preston centre forward tried to put his side 3-0 up. Then on 31 minutes, Preston had a corner. As the ball came into six-yard box, no Burgh player went for it; and the away side no.10 was inches away from putting the ball in the net.

Preston had the ball in the net on 33 minutes, following a free kick, which Orr saved. However, the referee deemed the approaching forward was offside. Two minutes later, Khasim Mdalasini was brought down by the Preston no.4, who was booked for his troubles.

Just before half time Preston  attacked down their right wing. The ball was played in to the penalty area and no.6 hit the ball between Aaron Matheson  and Kieran Lugton. Before Blair Orr moved ball was in the net. 

Half time: Musselburgh Athletic U20s  3 - 0 Preston Athletic U20s.

Aaron Matheson and Shaun Taylor were subbed at half time with Matty Scotland and Garry Ewing on. The first meaningful shot of match for Burgh came in 49 minutes. Daniel Nichol shot from the edge of the box and ball went just passed the post. On 55 minutes Gary Ewing brought down the Preston no.6 in the box and received a yellow for his actions. Up stepped the centre forward and although Blair Orr got a touch to the ball, he could not stop Preston increasing their lead to 4-0.

Musselburgh should have got a goal back on 70 minutes. A corner came in and how Kieran did not score will be a mystery that will never be resolved! The home side came close again with 78 minutes played. The ball came was crossed in and Devan Craighead attempt on goal, brought a save by the Preston goalkeeper. As the ball was played upfield, Blair Orr then made a save from the incoming no.14

Burgh were awarded a corner on 82 minutes. Daniel Nichol crossed the ball and an outstretched Matty Scotland prodded the ball into the net to reduce the deficit to 4-1. A late attempt by Jay Murray went over the bar.

Full time: Musselburgh U20s 1 - 4 Preston U20s

Certainly not vintage Musselburgh, who were completely outplayed in the first half. They battled better in the second half but Preston were worthy winners and progressed to the 2nd round of the league cup.

Note taker did not have a man of match. However, the supporter of the match went to Amy Scott. She picked up an injury at training in mid week, but showed the trouper that she is by hobbling up to Pinkie to watch the match and although  it was sore to do, Amy still managed to tweet all 5 goals! 

A trip over to the Kingdom this afternoon to play Inverkeithing in the Alex Jack cup.

This is Hillfield Swifts first quarter final tie, so they will be up for it!!

Musselburgh looking for their first competitive away win this season

MTB

Edited by Casey Jones

Quarter final of The Alex Jack cup and a visit to Inverkeithing to meet Hillfield Swifts. The Swifts are 2nd in Conference B, with Musselburgh sitting 14th in the Premier League

Burgh made two changes to last week’s team. Paul Grant returned as keeper, in place of Michael Robinson and Jono McManus back as centre half with Tom Clare dropped to the bench.

On a glorious sunny day, Musselburgh kicked off at 14:33. First chance fell to Hillfield, who were awarded a free kick. The no.8, Hamilton’s attempt flew over the bar.

On seven minutes Brian Martin looked as if he took a sore one, as his scream was apparently heard in the coastal town of Burntisland. Luckily after 30 seconds of worry, the warrior got up and resumed play.

Burgh drew first blood on 17 minutes. A long ball upfield by Brian Martin should have been controlled by Rowbotham. However, the Swifts keeper fumbled it and an in-running Nathan Evans followed up, ran past the keeper and ball hit the net. Burgh led 1-0.

The lead only lasted three minutes. From a by-kick, Burgh tried to play out from the back, but lost possession. From the right wing the ball came into the box and the left winger, Grant Smith hit an acrobatic shot which pinged into the net and the home side levelled at 1-1.

On 26 minutes Musselburgh had a free kick in their own half. Brian Martin hit ball towards Michael Moffat, but the ball did not have the legs to hit its target. Again, a Hillfield player was unable to control the ball. Jackie Myles got in and passed to Nathan Evans who quickly hit ball out wide to Michael Moffat. A bit of wizardry was about to happen. First Michael Moffat took ball and himself past the left back, Liddell, then Bernard. Just to the right of the post, Michael Moffat curled the ball round three defenders and the goalkeeper into the corner of the net. What a player and what a goal! Burgh now 2-1 up.

Two minutes later, Musselburgh increased the lead. From a corner, the unmarked captain, Jono McManus ran to the near post, let the ball bounce and then smacked it into the net.

Half time: Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 1-3 Musselburgh Athletic

Early play in the second half failed to set the heartbeat racing! On 62 minutes the Swifts had a couple of chances. First, Strang was on the ball and passed to Smith. His low cross into the Burgh box was too quick for Kinnaird to latch onto and the ball was cleared. Smith then put another cross into the box, but Paul Grant commanded his six yard box to divert any danger.

On 68 minutes Darren Downie was replaced by last week’s player of the match, Daniel McBay. A minute later, a yellow card was handed out for a foul, which Michael Moffat claimed the player had dived. From the free kick, Anderson headed over the bar. Play was then held up for a short time as Bernard went down; wriggling in agony. Although the physio came on, no treatment was given. Where Bernard was holding himself when he got up, the assumption was that no extra time would be played in the evening!

On 75 minutes, Musselburgh were awarded a free kick at the edge of the Swifts goal area. Conor Thomson curled his attempt round the wall and past the outstretched Rowbotham.

With 11 minutes remaining Tom Clare came on for Darren Downie. Having used up all their subs, the home side was reduced to 10 men for the final five minutes as Hamilton went off injured. Just before 90 minutes, Daniel McBay played a great through ball and Nathan Evans had the ball in the net; but the referee blew for offside.

Final Score: Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 1-4 Musselburgh Athletic.

After four away losses, Musselburgh finally got their first away win of the season, in what was a comfortable victory. Musselburgh will meet Edinburgh United  in the semi final of the Alex Jack cup. United had a tremendous 4-0 win over Premier League side Sauchie. Match is scheduled for 19 October at Olivebank.

Edited by Casey Jones

Monday 23 September  was Musselburgh U20s fifth league match of the season, the fourth of which was at home. Conversely, Stirling University U20s were just starting off their league campaign. Match kicked off and within 20 seconds, Burgh found themselves 1-0 down. As play moved up the Stirling left wing, the ball was crossed into the box and Penker was there to put the ball into the net. Match was played up-tempo, but for the majority of the first 20 minutes, Musselburgh were on the back foot, with Liam Reid making a couple of good blocks/tackles to keep the score as was.

Around the half hour mark, the Stirling University right back was helped off the park with an injured ankle – ice bag handed over from the Musselburgh bench to keep the swelling down. With 35 minutes played, Stirling were on the attack with the left winger hitting the ball over the bar from 20 yards. A minute later and Declan Paterson blocked a shot by the centre forward (Penker), ball out for a corner. The first attempted header was blocked. However, the left winger got to the ball first. From a tight angle, he beat the Burgh keeper Ross McCrae. After 36 minutes; Musselburgh 0-2 Stirling University.

Burgh came into a good spell of play in 41 minutes. First, Khasim Mdalasini had an attempt blocked and then had a shot blocked and out for a corner. Into injury time and Burgh’s best chance of the match. Daniel Nichol played ball out wide to Ciaran Young, who passed to Khasim Mdalasini. His attempted shot/pass went to close to the University keeper.

Half time: Musselburgh Athletic U20 0 – 2 Stirling University U20

Five minutes into the second half and Stirling should have increased their lead. The ball came into the Musselburgh penalty area. Penker stood to the left of the post and an easy chance became a horrible miss as the ball was skied and out of the park.

Musselburgh’s first sub came in 53 minutes with Jay Murray off and replaced by Kyle McFadden.

Three bits of good defensive play came at the same time. First, Liam Reid did a bit of keepie uppie whilst clearing defence. Then Ethan Wynne cleared the ball off the line following a good shot. Finally as ball came high into the penalty area, a belter of a header from Matty Scotland once again cleared the decks!

With around 17 minutes left, a foul on Khasim Mdalasini should have had the referee blow for a free kick. However, play was kept going and Khasim Mdalasini put a good cross into the box; where Kyle McFadden hit his shot wide. By this time Musselburgh were having the best spell of the match, though the Stirling keeper had not been tested with a decent shot.

Another near miss saw Stirling sub, no.15 almost in an identical position, as the centre forward, but shot with his wrong foot. Instead of the ball in the net, the no.15 chose to aim for the corner flag. Into the last couple of minutes of normal time and Burgh were pushing up trying to get a goal, but were dispossessed of the ball. With Stirling on a counter attack, Garry Ewing chased back and made a good tackle to regain the ball.

Into injury time and the best goal of the match. Another Stirling substitute, Ben Davidson let fly from 30 yards. The ball battered off the back stanchion and into play. Initially it looked as it must have come of the bar/post, but the Stirling players were already celebrating. Fantastic piece of skill by Ben!

Full time: Musselburgh Athletic U20 0 – 3 Stirling University U20

Musselburgh pushed Stirling University hard, particularly in the second half. However, the University keeper rarely had anything to worry about. This was a much better performance for the young Musselburgh team, when compared to last weekend’s match.

The note taker’s man of the match was Liam Reid. The jury is out as to why he does not get a regular start in the main team. The keeper, Ross McCrae also equipped himself well with his performance.

Sequence of goals; 0-1; 0-2; 0-3