Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2019/20

Musselburgh’s fifth match of the season saw them make the short journey to meet Preston Athletic at the Pennypit. In 2018-19, first fixture of season, saw Musselburgh come away with a 3-0 win, at the same venue, in the Qualifying cup.

From last week’s win against Peebles, with Conor Thomson unavailable, the only change to the Burgh line up was a surprising start, at right back for player/assistant manager Scott McNaughton.

Before the official kick off time of 2.30pm, the home side were in lead without a Musselburgh player touching the ball. Preston started match, with a pass out to the right hand side of park. The full back and captain, Pennycuik played a high ball over the Burgh defence. Ball was collected by Archibald who went round the keeper Paul Grant and stroked ball into the net. Preston 1 - 0 up.

It could have been two nil a couple of minutes later. Burgh lost possession from a throw in. The loose ball was played up the park and Edmond was one on one with Paul Grant. The centre forward looked to go round the keeper, but Paul Grant just managed to get a touch and ball was cleared.

On nine minutes, Pennycuik went by Bradley Whyte, then squared the ball. Jono McManus half cleared the danger, but right winger Grotlin got the ball. His shot was saved by Paul Grant. A couple of minutes later Burgh had a chance but FIndlay saved, with ball out for a corner.

Fifteen minutes on the clock and Preston were again on the attack. Grotlin had a shot, which was checked by Edmond whose own shot brought out another save by Paul Grant. Two minutes later and a crunching tackle by Turkington, brought down Burgh’s Jackie Myles. The away side manager Kevin McDonald was unhappy that the referee did not even speak to the no.8. This resulted in the ref coming over to the dug out for a quiet word. From the terracing, it looked a booking offence.

Preston had a free kick in their half, on 20 minutes. Pennycuik took it, driving the ball across field to Archibald. A couple of passes later the ball was played along 6-yard line and past both posts. Grotlin retrieved ball and played it back. Paul Grant blocked, only as far as Edmond. His shot from a couple of yards made it 2 - 0 to Preston.

Burgh were back in the match within a couple of minutes. Bradley Whyte was down left hand side of Preston box. As ball came in, it was cleared. Bradley Whyte went to retrieve it and Pennycuik brought him down from behind. Nathan Evans scored from the spot to reduce deficit to 2 - 1.

Preston were having far too much of the ball and the Burgh defence was getting breached too often. A normally unflabbable Jono McManus was not having his best game, but it looked as if he was having to do too much by himself.

The Musselburgh bench recognised this and made the first substitute was made in 31 minutes. Liam Reid replaced Tom Clare in centre of  defence. Five minutes later, Jackie Myles had a chance, but his shot was weak and straight to the keeper Findlay.

The temperature of the match rose, both on the park and in the air. With seven minutes till half time, even the referee was arguing about one of his decisions with a Musselburgh supporter. A throw in to Preston was played to Grotlin. His shot from the edge of the box just went over the bar.

Half time Preston 1 - 0 Musselburgh.

Musselburgh started the second half far better than the first. In the first minute Daniel McBay had a header on target but safely held by Findlay. Then from defence, play involving Jono McManus and Bradley Whyte saw an attempt by Darren Downie blocked. Ball came back to Jackie Myles, but his shot went over the bar.

Scott McNaughton took a corner on 49 minutes and as it came over; Darren Downie’s shot was tipped over the bar. Four minutes later, Jack Gillan came on for Scott McNaughton. Match was being played at a fast tempo. On the half way line, Jack Gillon passed back to Bradley Whyte. As ball moved upfield, Jackie Myles played to Nathan Evans. The shot should have been hit then, but Nathan Evans wanted another touch and the chance slipped by.

On 59 minutes, with Jardine already on for Grotlin, Preston’s second sub saw Williams replace Bathgate. From defence into attack the ball came to Nathan Evans who headed the ball down. Again, the shot should have been spontaneous, but Nathan Evans moved to his right and his shot hit the perimeter fencing.

Back up the pitch went Preston. Jono McManus passed back to Paul Grant, who too casually played the ball to Bradley Whyte. The ball was intercepted, but luckily for Musselburgh the attempt went way over the bar. Williams was then spoken to by the referee on a challenge on Jackie Myles, who seemed to be a bit of a target for the Preston boys. It was amazing that with 65 minutes gone, not one player from either side had been booked. 

Jono McManus played a good few runs from defence into attack. The best one was on 67 minutes. Jono McManus ran forty yards and his shot from the 18-yard line skimmed off the bar and back into play. On 68 minutes, final substitutions saw Preston’s Waugh on for Archbold with Liam Gregory coming on for Mathu King. Calamity five minutes later for Musselburgh. The away side had been on the attach when ball was cleared. Declan O’Kane got ball in his own half. Maybe it was the wind, but the yardage calculation was all wrong, as Declan O’Kane’s  pass back was woefully short! Edmond collected ball; Ran by Paul Grant and put Preston 3-1 up.

From kick off, Findlay made a good save from Darren Downie, placing the ball over bar for a corner. On 77 minutes, came the first yellow card. Musselburgh’s, Liam Reid was booked for a heavy challenge on Jardine. Preston did not make anything from the free kick. Instead, ball was played toJack Gillan; up to Nathan Evans and then Liam Gregory. The cross into the box was closed down by a Preston defender, but as it trundled towards the goals, Darren Downie got the last touch and Burgh pulled a goal back.

On 81 minutes, yet another foul on Jackie Myles and another player not booked by the ref. From the kick, ball passed to Darren Downie., whose  shot went across the front of the goals. An outstretched Nathan Evans could not get the touch he needed to level the scoring.

Into injury time and another shot by Musselburgh was blocked. Up came Preston and a wee skirmish saw Edmond put Bradley Whyte on the deck and retaliation saw Edmond being pushed. Bradley Whyte was lucky not to be shown the yellow card; same perhaps for the Preston player. Last play of the match saw Turkington go into the book for a found on Declan O’Kane.

Final score was 3 - 2 to Preston whose players and supporters were delighted with the result. Not so happy would be the Burgh players or management team. The defence certainly needed shoring up after a bad start to the match, with Musselburgh never being able to make catch up!

Edited by Casey Jones

Tonight sees the start of the East of Scotland Under 20s league campaign.

Musselburgh Athletic travel to meet Midlothian rivals Newtongrange Star U20s at New Victoria Park.

Match kicks off at 7:30pm and it is £3 / £1 to get in!

Looking forward to seeing how this young team do - Musselburgh only have one player remaining from last year's squad.

50 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Tonight sees the start of the East of Scotland Under 20s league campaign.

Musselburgh Athletic travel to meet Midlothian rivals Newtongrange Star U20s at New Victoria Park.

Match kicks off at 7:30pm and it is £3 / £1 to get in!

Looking forward to seeing how this young team do - Musselburgh only have one player remaining from last year's squad.

Is it normal to charge admission for 20’s games

3 hours ago, cookieboy said:

Is it normal to charge admission for 20’s games

Not normally!  HoB charged £2 last season. I think Nitten charged  £3 last season too,  but that was it - no other club charged a fee.

I see your pal stating a donation at Blackburn tonight. I don't think there should be a charge but maybe clubs wish to cover some of their overheads?

Will still go tonight as I think if clubs wish to start up U20s teams, it is right they should be supported. Last year Musselburgh went and played a match near Motherwell. A crowd of 8 turned up - all supporting Musselburgh. Thought it was a shame no local support turned up.

Musselburgh probably averaged 50 fans for home matches. 

A month after senior EoS teams started off season 2019, tonight was the turn of the Under20s to commence battle. 

Coincidence or not?  Exactly one year ago (24 Aug 18), Musselburgh Athletic U20s met Newtongrange U20s at Pinkie, in a cup tie, which Burgh won 12-0. No point in surmising if it would be a similar result tonight given the massive changes in both teams.

Match at New Victoria Park kicked off at 7:31pm. Within two minutes, Musselburgh U20s were 1-0 up. Ciaran Young flicked the ball in front of Lewis Latimer who easily slotted the ball in the net for a great start for the away side. 

Nitten U20s were next on the attack and it took a couple of good tackles from Devan Craighead to stem the flow. But, In 9 minutes, Nitten equalised. Fraser Muchray, Burgh’s trialist keeper got a hand to No.7’s shot, but couldn’t save ball going into the net, and it was 1-1.

20 minutes played; DeeJ Nichol had a chance but his shot saved by the Nitten ‘keeper. But, Ciaran Young followed up and hit ball into net for a 2-1 lead to Burgh. Four minutes later; Burgh were looking strong. DeeJ hit a great pass from the left wing, where Cami Laidlaw was waiting. He hit a good cross goal shot and ball was in the net.

By 30 minutes, the 5th goal of match went in, this time from Nitten’s centre forward. The home side could have gone in level at half time if Fraser Muchray did not make a good save to turn the ball round for a corner.

In 1st 10 minutes of the second half, Nitten had a couple of chances but one shot, blocked by Kieran Lugton and a header out by Matti Scotland kept Burgh in the lead. The equaliser came in 76 minutes - didn’t get. Nitten goal scorer. 

Were Burgh about to lose a match they were coasting at one point? Any doubts evaporated in 84 minutes. A goalmouth scramble saw Khasi win the duel as he put the ball in the net; and the final score was Newtongrange U20s 3  - 4 Musselburgh Ath U20s.

Musselburgh had the best of the first half with Nitten edging the second half performance. Overall, Burgh deserved the victory. The note-taker’s man of the match was Burgh’s centre half Matti Scotland.

Three points and a great start to 2019-20.

Players and supporters from the Honest Toun make the trip into the Kingdom of Fife to meet Crossgates. Fourth league match of season with Burgh looking for their 2nd win.

Last time both teams met was at Olivebank on 17 November 17 in a 2nd round cup tie which Burgh won 4-3 on penalties.

On that day, Gary Cherrie started the match with John McManus, Declan O’Kane, Conor Thomson and Mathu King on the bench. How many of these five will be in the starting line up today?

Will write up my notes of match, later, as that result today is still a bit raw, and I want to give a fair reflection from my notes as I normally do.

First though; one of my pet hates is when the away team is getting beat; a way to get round it is to blame the officials!! ...the ref is a homer etc!

Let me say, I think ref got a number of things wrong;

i.  like giving a penalty, when it should have been a free kick ( luckily, after speaking to linesman he changed his mind);

ii.   like when giving a straight red, when it looked to be a fifty-fifty challenge in the air and if the player did get injured, then it was an accident! 

However, fans need to think a bit! We got beat because Crossgates were the better team.

7 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Will write up my notes of match, later, as that result today is still a bit raw, and I want to give a fair reflection from my notes as I normally do.

First though; one of my pet hates is when the away team is getting beat; a way to get round it is to blame the officials!! ...the ref is a homer etc!

i.  like giving a penalty, when it should have been a free kick ( luckily, after speaking to linesman he changed his mind);

ii.   like when giving a straight red, when it looked to be a fifty-fifty challenge in the air and if the player did get injured, then it was an accident! 

However, fans need to think a bit! We got beat because Crossgates were the better team.

Crossgates are a very decent team, played them 3 times last year, twice at home and once in the Kingdom. The game away we were well and truly beat, and the semi final at home they were 2 up before we got a 50/50 pen decision in our favour. They have had a poor start this season but they will beat plenty of teams at home. They have a striker up top who was very good. Looking forward to the derby in a few weeks. I’m sure it will be a good game, mussy have a good record against Tranent. 

16 minutes ago, BigTboy said:

Crossgates are a very decent team, played them 3 times last year, twice at home and once in the Kingdom. The game away we were well and truly beat, and the semi final at home they were 2 up before we got a 50/50 pen decision in our favour. They have had a poor start this season but they will beat plenty of teams at home. They have a striker up top who was very good. Looking forward to the derby in a few weeks. I’m sure it will be a good game, mussy have a good record against Tranent. 

Looking forward to it! 👍

I go to each match thinking Musselburgh will win. It will be same on 7 September, though, on today’s performance we’d get beat.

I was at the match as a neutral.

i. Wasn’t a penalty and wasn’t given as one. Was pretty tight.

ii. I thought it was a stonewaller - no. 6 had lost the plot and completely lead with the arm. He was a red waiting to happen all day.

Crossgates should have scored 2 or 3 more. Liked the look of the Burgh keeper and left back for a young lad had some potential.

Number m2, 8 and 6 were miles off the pace.

42 minutes ago, raith-radgie said:

I was at the match as a neutral.

i. Wasn’t a penalty and wasn’t given as one. Was pretty tight.

ii. I thought it was a stonewaller - no. 6 had lost the plot and completely lead with the arm. He was a red waiting to happen all day.

Crossgates should have scored 2 or 3 more. Liked the look of the Burgh keeper and left back for a young lad had some potential.

Number m2, 8 and 6 were miles off the pace.

I agree but, if ref hadn’t spoken to linesman - and only reason he did was because our bench was going ballistic at the linesman, then penalty would have stood!

i didn’t think it was a stonewalled, nor did I think he lead with his arm. I saw it as both going for the - could be wrong? Just because someone is ‘losing’ the plot doesn’t make it right for the guy to be sent off if not required. Surprised the Crossgates defender didn’t get a yellow for pushing our guy to the ground; but then the ref should have booked our player for a later off the ball incident. 

Crossgates better team. I will leave it at that. Yip good keeper and no. 3 has more than potential, but not playing in his natural position. He is a midfielder, who we are missing at the moment!

No. 2 was trialist. Thought he had a good game in most, but not sure about recent history of playing. Don’t agree with your thought on no.8. No.6 ? However, that doesn’t matter and that is why it’s good to talk about football, as most of it is subjective! 

14 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

How's young McBay doing for you guys? Played a bit with him over the last few years and always thought he was a good young player.

Daniel is a good player. One of four Under20s from last season who were signed up by Musselburgh Athletic. He won the players player and the management player of the year awards for 2018-19. 

Has started the last three matches for Burgh and was voted the supporters club player of the match in the first on. 

Was subbed at half time yesterday, but it was a match to forget for all the players!

After a couple of weeks playing cup competitions, it was back to league business. This week, Musselburgh crossed over the bridge to take on Crossgates who were at the foot of the table, having lost their opening two matches. Musselburgh were a few places higher, having won one match and losing the other two.

There were four changes from last weekend. Tom Clare, Mathu King, Scott McNaughton and Jackie Myles all dropped to the bench. In came Jack Gillon, Gary Cherrie, Liam Gregory and a trialist who stood alongside today’s captain, Jono McManus in central defence.

Musselburgh seemed to start the brighter of the two teams in the first five or so minutes although there was not much activity in front of goal. It was Crossgates who created the first attempt on goal, but a poor header by centre forward, Lawrie, ended that chance.

Crossgates were again on the attack, with a one-two between Templeton and Lawrie. The tall midfielder, then passed ball out to McAteer on the left wing. His cross was met by a volley from Lawrie, which went wide of the post.

First goal of the match came in fifteen minutes. Ball was kicked out of the Burgh box and Daniel McBay ran to keep the ball in play. However, all that happened was that ball fell to a Crossgates player. A minute later, after an exchange of tackles, McAteer who was standing at the edge of the box, hit a looping shot high into the net. Crossgates led 1-0.

Five minutes later and another goal to the home side. Ball was out on the left wing. As it swung over, Aitken’s shot flew past Paul Grant. Crossgates now 2-0 up.

By now Crossgates were on the ascendancy and Musselburgh did not seem to have any answers. It looked as if it was to get worse on 31 minutes. Liam Gregory brought down a Crossgates player on the edge of the box. As the whistle blew, the referee pointed to the spot. It was only when the Burgh assistant manager, Scott McNaughton, shouted at the linesman that the tackle was outside the box, that the referee went over to speak to his official. Following this, the decision was reversed and a free kick given. No yellow card awarded.

Templeton took the free kick and the trialist kicked it out for a corner. Ball came to the no.7 Sawers, but his shot skied over the bar.

Half time Crossgates 2 - 0 Musselburgh.

Jackie Myles replaced Daniel McBay at the start of the 2nd half. The first touch by Jackie Myles, resulted in the referee having a word as he blew for a foul.

The best effort in the early exchanges of the second half, fell to Musselburgh. On 55 minutes, the ball was played through the middle of the park. Declan O’Kane’s shot from 20 yards had to be tipped over the bar by the Crossgates goalie, Henderson.

Fast moving football saw the home side in attack and Paul Grant made a diving save from Sawers’ shot. Straight back up the field went Musselburgh. Bradley Whyte past a couple of Crossgates defenders, taking the ball into the goal area, but the pass was too soft and trickled into the hands of Henderson.

Soon after Musselburgh were again on the attack. Nathan Evans had the option of passing forward to Darren Downie. Instead Nathan Evans shot from outside the box and Henderson had to make the save. Liam Gregory ran onto the re-bound and crossed the ball high into the goal area. There was a scramble for the ball but Crossgates cleared the danger.

First Crossgates sub saw Templeton replaced by McDonald on 61 minutes. Three minutes later Moffat (the Crossgates midfielder, who seemed to be running the show) got the ball in the Burgh box. A great chance to make it 3-0, but Paul Grant saved and hopefully kept Musselburgh in the match.

The Burgh trialist was the first to receive a yellow card for a tackle at the edge of his box on 66 minutes. Couple of minutes later and Jono McManus should also have received a yellow for an infringement after the ball was away from him. From the free kick, ball was touched to Lawrie and his shot just went over the bar.

In 73 minutes, Musselburgh were awarded an indirect free kick in the Crossgates goal area as Henderson picked up the ball from a pass back. Instead of battering the free kick, ball was played back to Declan O’Kane. By the time the shot came, the defenders had narrowed the angles and put ball out for a throw in.

Just inside the Burgh half, Declan O’Kane went up for, what looked like a 50-50 challenge. However, the Crossgates player came tumbling down. To the surprise of all connected with Musselburgh the ref produced a red card. There was a bit of a melee afterwords with Declan O’Kane pushed to the ground. Incident quickly over and Musselburgh were down to 10 men for the last 15 minutes.

In 79 minutes, Musselburgh gave themselves a lifeline, with a dipping header, in the box, from the trialist which brought the score back to 2 - 1.

Burgh brought Mathu King on for Darren Downie with six minutes remaining in a last ditch effort to get the equaliser. Henderson was then next in the ref’s book; a yellow card for time wasting.

Not to be for Musselburgh and after around five minutes of injury time, the final whistle went. Crossgates won the match 2-1.

By virtue of a ‘better’ negative goal difference than a couple of other sides - Musselburgh do not find themselves in the bottom three; with only 3 points from 4 matches.

Crossgates win takes them off the foot of the table.

Edited by Casey Jones

Disappointing performance from us and from my perspective the referee didn't have a good day but that's not to take anything away from Crossgates, deserve a lot of credit for the way they've come out of abeyance.