Politics

1 hour ago, ForzaDundee said:

The rivalry is between the cities of Liverpool and Manchester. However this is a rivalry mostly based on sporting competitiveness and geographical proximity, it is somewhat a manufactured rivalry. Man Utd's true rivalry is Leeds United which traces all the way back to the Civil war of Lancashire vs Yorkshire War of the Roses then the competition of both cities during the Industrial Revolution. 

The Houses/ Duchies of Lancaster and York =/= Yorkshire and Lancashire 

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

When it comes to distribution of resources in football, most Celtic fans are wildly right wing.

I would say care to explain that but you will just go round and round in circles again and bore the tits off me.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I would say care to explain that but you will just go round and round in circles again and bore the tits off me.

The evidence litters any CL thread.

The whole persecuted left-wing thing is a fictitious nonsense.

3 hours ago, HibsFan said:

I think the idea of politics not influencing football in any way is an idealistic one.

When people say "politics and sport don't mix", what I feel like they often really mean is "I don't like politics being brought in sport, even though it inevitably happens".

For what it's worth, I view the Hibs support's general political stance (left wing, fairly positive about Scottish independence, support of peaceful Irish republican movement) as a happy coincidence for me, who happens to likewise believe in those things. I don't think it's a require of supporting Hibs, but maybe we are a club who attracts a certain type of person.

Oh, there's no doubt about that...

6 hours ago, velo army said:

A. Celtic, for example,  were founded by clergy as a charity concern to support the poor Irish (who were all catholic) and are an expression of Glasgow's Irish catholic community. It is also an expression of faith in action, which is where religion meets politics.

Religion and politics should absolutely mix. B. Jesus was, amongst other things, a political activist. Martin Luther King was another man whose religion informed his politics. 

A. A major factor behind the establishment of Celtic as a club was fear among the Catholic clergy that Presbyterian hunger relief programmes could result in some of their flock 'jumping the dyke'.  Thus self-interest was the real motivation rather than compassion for the needy.

B. Jesus as a political activist?  Nah.  'Render unto Caesar' is hardly cutting-edge political thinking.

For me?  Happy to be a Tory-voting Unionist AND a Rangers fan not BECAUSE.

As an Aberdeen fan, we tend to come from a large area of north east Scotland up to Orkney and Shetland, where our main local industries are traditionally farming and fishing and more recently oil and tourism. Politically there's a mix of lib dem, Tory and snp. Some are strong supporters if independence others believe we should remain uk. There are people who voted brexit and others remain. This makes us a reasonably diverse bunch. If there is anything, other than a love for the famous Aberdeen, that unites us, it's how much we fucking hate rangers (and that horrific tribute act that appeared after their demise) and those Celtic c***s too. Stand free.

Someone started a Communist Caley fans account on Twitter a few years ago, presumably to mix discussion of dialectical materialism with whether we should play Brad Mckay at right back or centre half.

What the **** is this thread doing on here!!??!!

There are several forums I can post on if I want to discuss this type of thing. Some of them are even linked to football clubs. Some of them are apparently sub-sections on here.

I've been on here a week & picked-up a yellow card for using a common and relatively innocuous term. 

No place for this scheidt on here... and I'm a f******  H** (If a get a red card for the starred-out H-word, I'm emigrating!)

Edited by Victor von Doom
typo

Where does this stop though?

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to look at the politics of clubs and support one that doesn’t go against everything you believe in.

Lazio for example, are staunchly right wing, and hero worship fascists, I think it’s very simplistic to say that shouldn’t effect your choice to support such a club.

Letting your choice of football club influence how you vote is obviously moronic, but making sure you aren’t supporting right wing morons is a perfectly sensible precaution to take.

Perth and Kinross is staunch right wing m8

Guest Moomintroll
There are several forums I can post on if I want to discuss this type of thing. Some of them are even linked to football clubs. Some of them are apparently sub-sections on here.
I've been on here a week & picked-up a yellow card for using a common and relatively innocuous term. 
No place for this scheidt on here... and I'm a f******  H** (If a get a red card for the starred-out H-word, I'm emigrating!)
Calma calma.

5 hours ago, MJC said:

Politics are politics

Football is football

They do not go together and anyone who brings politics into football or football into politics is a fucking arsehole who I have nothing but contempt for 

When the Ivory Coast qualified for the World Cup in 2006, as the players celebrated Didier Drogba picked up a microphone and pleaded with the nation to take inspiration from their achievement by ending a civil war that had been raging in the country for 5 years. A week later the war had ended. A perfect example of how football can be good for politics.

Politics has done a lot of positive things for football, too, with clubs backing campaigns such as Show Racism the Red Card, mental health awareness, rainbow shoelaces etc

44 minutes ago, Victor von Doom said:

It's ok Hon, we're all friends here

26 minutes ago, Victor von Doom said:

P&B is generally good at dealing with unsavoury language and, in the most part, the mods deal with it admirably.  It is certainly light-years ahead of, say, FF in showing intolerance of homophobic, racist and misanthropic terms of abuse.  P&B is also excellent in holding no truck for those who show bias against the likes of the differently-abled and those who identify as transgender.

The general tone of the forum is one of acceptance and tolerance.

BUT we do have a significant number of air-headed diddy idiots who think that screeching '***' is acceptable.  For the most part they live on the margins of society and/or are social inadequates.

I have no doubt that that P&B's excellent moderating policies will be updated soon to deal with it.

Guest Moomintroll
P&B is generally good at dealing with unsavoury language and, in the most part, the mods deal with it admirably.  It is certainly light-years ahead of, say, FF in showing intolerance of homophobic, racist and misanthropic terms of abuse.  P&B is also excellent in holding no truck for those who show bias against the likes of the differently-abled and those who identify as transgender.
The general tone of the forum is one of acceptance and tolerance.
BUT we do have a significant number of air-headed diddy idiots who think that screeching '***' is acceptable.  For the most part they live on the margins of society and/or are social inadequates.
I have no doubt that that P&B's excellent moderating policies will be updated soon to deal with it.
Calm down Kincy lad , I'm still in a huff.