Politics

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I only started supporting Motherwell when they became fan owned because I'm a massive Trot

A trip to the chemist will sort that out.

Oh, sorry, I thought that said you'd massive trots...

I believe Dermot Desmond has made at least one large donation to the Conservative Party in the past. So I presume he is a Tory. I have never voted Tory. So it's doubtful his political views reflect mine. But it really has no effect on me as a supporter and I have no interest in protesting about it. 

To be fair to him

He's a tax dodging foreign billionaire so it would be mammoth ingratitude not to support a party that fights so hard to protect people like him

I see football as something closer to religion than politics. 

Since religion has basically became obsolete, people still enjoy the community aspect of doing something weekly and integrating with other people they would not normally speak to. 

As an Accies fan there are probably equal number of people that support independence as oppose it.  (From people I've spoken to slightly more in opposition)

Politically there is an even wider range of views mainly supportive of Scotlands 3 largest political parties. (SNP, LAB & CON)

Hamilton East voted (2017 General Election):-

SNP - 16,444 (32.6%)

CON - 16,178 (32.1%)

LAB - 16,084 (31.9%)

If Accies were to become political in any direction they would lose like 66% of the support because of how diverse it is. 

That is something I would not want to happen as we have a low enough support as it is. 

8 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

I see football as something closer to religion than politics. 

Since religion has basically became obsolete, people still enjoy the community aspect of doing something weekly and integrating with other people they would not normally speak to. 

As an Accies fan there are probably equal number of people that support independence as oppose it.  (From people I've spoken to slightly more in opposition)

Politically there is an even wider range of views mainly supportive of Scotlands 3 largest political parties. (SNP, LAB & CON)

Hamilton East voted (2017 General Election):-

SNP - 16,444 (32.6%)

CON - 16,178 (32.1%)

LAB - 16,084 (31.9%)

If Accies were to become political in any direction they would lose like 66% of the support because of how diverse it is. 

That is something I would not want to happen as we have a low enough support as it is. 

There were Accies fans who tried to align the fan base to the Yes Campaign who were told to Foxtrot Oscar as supporting us is bad enough without bringing Politics into it lol.

I know folk who are rabid Yessers,staunch Unionists,Communist Party and For Britain supporters in our fan base never mind Labour or Tories.It matters not a jot as long as they leave their personal opinions at the turnstile and get behind the team.

Still not met a Lib.Den supporter though at NDP.

The sooner football becomes less about politics and religion and more about disco lights the better in my opinion.
If politics and religion was barred from football, Celtic and their ugly twin would have a very small songbook.

Think this thread has gone off on a slight tangent.

Surely there is a clear difference between the owner's politics and the identity of the club.

I have absolutely no interest in Stewart Milne's politics and it wouldn't stop me supporting Aberdeen if he has posters of Hitler on his wall.

If he tried to create an image of the club that reflected his views and be the club for those views to be aired, explicitly or implicitly (yes glasgow, I'm looking at you), then clearly that would influence my view on the club itself and at the very least I'd want that owner removed if the views were abhorrent.

On 23/06/2019 at 14:39, gannonball said:

Well now you bring it up yes politics makes the Glasgow Derby more of a spectacle than it should be. Quality wise its not exactly brilliant.

You get rivalries like Liverpool Everton which are generally friendly and well attended but aren't a patch on the likes of Galatasaray/Fenerbache for me, which again is political.

The Istanbul Derby is  a conventional "Our side of the city versus their side of the city" derby with the added twist that "their side" is on a different continent.

18 hours ago, NaeVay said:

I follow Hamilton Accies because I am a massive supporter of the mafia and organised crime. 

Many a true word spoken in jest.

Edited by Jacksgranda
grandma

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The Istanbul Derby is  a conventional "Our side of the city versus their side of the city" derby with the added twist that "their side" is on a different continent.

I heard it was to do with class divide as well, must admit though i am not really clued up on this one.

Guest Moomintroll
I heard it was to do with class divide as well, must admit though i am not really clued up on this one.
Yeah not too clued up myself but I always thought Galatasaray were the posh establishment boys while Fener were the working class underdog. Don't really pay enough attention to be totally sure in fairness.

On 23/06/2019 at 16:09, Moomintroll said:
On 23/06/2019 at 12:50, gannonball said:
You don't think the Franco years add at least something in terms of needle? It goes way beyond to the two biggest teams in the country for me.

Yes quite, methinks Dindy might want to read a few books on Catalunyan history here, the fall out from the Civil War still permeates this rivalry to the current day. Most Castillians hate Catalunyans & vice versa with a conflict that is far more recent than our own underpinning it.

Shocked to find someone with Celtic leanings wants to bring politics into the life of other football fans.

Guest Moomintroll
Shocked to find someone with Celtic leanings wants to bring politics into the life of other football fans.
Celtic leanings my arse, dislike them both equally, unlike a lot of people football has nothing to do with the rest of my life.

Just now, Moomintroll said:
3 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Celtic leanings my arse, dislike them both equally, unlike a lot of people football has nothing to do with the rest of my life.

Mmmm I’m not so sure mate I can see the mask slipping.