Politics

I believe Dermot Desmond has made at least one large donation to the Conservative Party in the past. So I presume he is a Tory. I have never voted Tory. So it's doubtful his political views reflect mine. But it really has no effect on me as a supporter and I have no interest in protesting about it. 

Edited by The Chief

I wouldn't know where to start with our largest shareholder (Desmond) however he is not a majority shareholder. He is probably the opposite the majority of our support in terms of political views. This nearly came to a head when we were trying to get the club to pay the living wage showed and it showed how much of a reptile him and the board are. In the end they reluctantly agreed  to pay them the set amount but refused to endorse actual scheme. 

The two simply shouldn't be mixed. Even as a 'Yes' and SNP supporter I was uncomfortable with football fans using games as a chance to show their support for the Independence campaign etc.
As for the question my presumption would be that our chairman is probably a unionist so I wouldn't let that influence me at all.

Guest JTS98

A football club is a football club.

People who romanticise the notion of football clubs as some kind of force for expressing a political voice (in a free society) tend to be utter morons with not too much going on in their lives, in my experience.

And this extends to the owners and directors as well as players and coaches etc. I could not give a single f**k about what the political views of anybody involved at Hearts are. It's of no relevance to me.

If you want to express a political voice - and I don't mean this in a glib way - join some kind of political movement or organisation. Do something to actually advance the cause that you support rather than just being a pathetic toe-in-the-water p***k who waves some shitey banner or flag or chants some moronic chant or song at a football match among other bevvied-up plastic soldiers.

This holds for causes I agree and disagree with. It's got no place at the fitba. If you think it does, you're probably an arsehole.

Edited by JTS98

1 hour ago, frankthetank22 said:

Football, politics and religion shouldn't have anything to do with each other. 

I can't understand those who try to mix them, or introduce one into a discussion about the other.

This isn't really a sensible position to hold, but there is a politics forum on the general nonsense thread, so I don't want to get too into it.

Football and religion are largely about social identity and community, with the belief developed secondarily (in religion, not fitba). They're also very similar in terms of symbolism and purpose of ritual, so it's no coincidence that they should be bedfellows. Celtic, for example,  were founded by clergy as a charity concern to support the poor Irish (who were all catholic) and are an expression of Glasgow's Irish catholic community. It is also an expression of faith in action, which is where religion meets politics.

Religion and politics should absolutely mix. Jesus was, amongst other things, a political activist. Martin Luther King was another man whose religion informed his politics. 

11 minutes ago, velo army said:

This isn't really a sensible position to hold, but there is a politics forum on the general nonsense thread, so I don't want to get too into it.

Football and religion are largely about social identity and community, with the belief developed secondarily (in religion, not fitba). They're also very similar in terms of symbolism and purpose of ritual, so it's no coincidence that they should be bedfellows. Celtic, for example,  were founded by clergy as a charity concern to support the poor Irish (who were all catholic) and are an expression of Glasgow's Irish catholic community. It is also an expression of faith in action, which is where religion meets politics.

Religion and politics should absolutely mix. Jesus was, amongst other things, a political activist. Martin Luther King was another man whose religion informed his politics. 

Agree with this.

It's fashionable to now follow the line that sport and politics shouldn't mix. FIFA and UEFA are particularly keen to get this message across as it makes the game easier to market for sponsorship money. What they fail give recognition to is that the very reason that football has become the successful global game it is today is that the game and clubs have always been fiercely linked to supporters' identity be that ethnic, political or religious. 

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Of course, if we let the vast majority of religions have any say over politics, homosexuality would be illegal.  

Religion can lead peoples morals, but it has absolutely no place in politics. 

Religion is politics. It is the method that the intellectual ruling class used to define laws and morality before our modern methods of law and order were possible.

Guest Moomintroll

I have no idea how Billy or Phyllis vote & I don't care, might have a sneaky suspicion about Cathy's political leanings though.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

You reckon? Barcelona vs Real Madrid is all the more exciting because of the politics involved. Same with Napoli vs any northern Italian teams etc.

I’ve never once sat down in front of the TV to watch El Classico and thought to myself “god the politics make this game so much better”.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Actually, Jesus was fictional. 

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

I’ve never once sat down in front of the TV to watch El Classico and thought to myself “god the politics make this game so much better”.

You don't think the Franco years add at least something in terms of needle? It goes way beyond to the two biggest teams in the country for me.