Africa Cup of Nations 2019

38 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

what a winner that was by mahrez

Fantastic free kick I agree.

Tunisia was cheated in their loss, the ref initially and correctly awarded a penalty for handball.

VAR then intervened and the ref ended going over to his screen and wrongly overturned the original correct award.  VAR is a joke.

39 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

what a winner that was by mahrez

Fantastic free kick. Lot of bottle to do that in the last minute. 

Interesting ploy by Nigeria having a player to lie down behind the wall.

10 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

VAR then intervened and the ref ended going over to his screen and wrongly overturned the original correct award.  VAR is a joke.

aye,i think its been very poorly introduced to football.i like the rugby league thing where the ref says hes going to VAR but also says what what hes inclined to give,any doubts in the VAR and the original decision is the one that stands.ive probably articulated that really badly

Guest Moomintroll
aye,i think its been very poorly introduced to football.i like the rugby league thing where the ref says hes going to VAR but also says what what hes inclined to give,any doubts in the VAR and the original decision is the one that stands.ive probably articulated that really badly
It is similar to what happens in cricket with a disputed catch, Umpire will give a soft signal of out or not out & if there is any doubt then they will go with the original soft signal as the decision.

Didn't see the incident in this game, but what happened to VAR only being used for a "clear and obvious error"? Is that not in the rules somewhere, and doesn't that mean if after viewing the incident, if its not clear and obvious that it is a goal/penalty/red card, then the ref shouldn't give it, and not necessarily just stick to their original decision?