90’s Britpop bands better than Oasis or Blur

Spyro

Not a massive oasis fan to be honest with you but I do love sad song and a couple others.

I was a massive stereophonics fan growing up in the 90s, along with

Travis

Reef

Charlatans

The Verve

James

I just found it very very hard to like Liam as an artist, Noel was what was good about Oasis but over the years he’s became more irritating.

Soul Asylum run away train was my ultimate 90s song..... I know they ain’t British just thought I’d share it lol

• 1 month later...

Oasis' first album - very, very good. Rest - shite.

Blur - never made a truly remarkable album tbh but have a good catalogue.

Pulp, Suede better than both. Manic Street Preachers probably better than the lot, but would you count them as Britpop?

• 3 months later...

Blur's Popscene and For Tomorrow were both fantastic singles. The post-shoegaze Boo Radleys probably released the best album in Wake Up. But this really was a time when mediocrity ruled the waves. I mean Shed Seven, come on. Oh and by the way Oasis were the shitehawks who well and truly killed off any notion of counterculture that the UK had. The day McGee signed them was the day Creation ceased to be relevant. Bring it on.

2 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

McGee signed them was the day Creation ceased to be relevant. Bring it on.

McGee killed off any sort of counterculture by absolutely shafting Slowdive; completely derived them of any support and fed them to the wolves of the UK press who at the time were choking on Britpop cock. He's a fucking arsehole. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/mar/30/the-unlikely-renaissance-of-slowdive-shoegaze-became-the-genre-of-ridicule

Edited by SweeperDee

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

McGee killed off any sort of counterculture by absolutely shafting Slowdive; completely derived them of any support and fed them to the wolves of the UK press who at the time were choking on Britpop cock. He's a fucking arsehole. 

I would agree that that was one of Mcgee's many mistakes. Pygmalion is by far and away Slowdive's best album but was pretty far ahead of it's time and completely ignored. Had that record come out on Warp a couple of years later it would have found its audience. NME gave it 1/10 on release but they were always a poor man's Melody Maker back in the day anyway.

Just now, Jimi Shandrix said:

I would agree that that was one of Mcgee's many mistakes. Pygmalion is by far and away Slowdive's best album but was pretty far ahead of it's time and completely ignored. Had that record come out on Warp a couple of years later it would have found its audience. NME gave it 1/10 on release but they were always a poor man's Melody Maker back in the day anyway.

I'm a sucker for Souvlaki but I'd agree Pygmalion is pretty underappreciated. If you read up about how vitriolic the press were to Slowdive you wouldn't believe it. Really, really nasty. Glad they've got the recognition (albeit still not enough) after the fact.