90’s Britpop bands better than Oasis or Blur

Spyro

Agreed there were loads of bands better than oasis in the 90’s.

However their gig at Loch Lomond is still the best gig I’ve ever been to. Because it’s about so much more than the music.

1996. I was 23. Euro 96 had thankfully confirmed that football was not coming home. I was about to go to magaluf for two weeks with my mates. But not before we all jumped on a bus for Loch Lomond to see The Bootleg Beatles, Cast, Black Grape, Ocean Colour Scene, Oasis and Liam and Noel.

It was just the perfect gig at the perfect time. That night we were all rock n roll stars and it was fuckin awesome.

• 3 months later...

I hate the term "britpop" cos as someone said it was a media thing to drum up sales.

Music is subjective obviously but given Noel & Liam still have success the are doing something right.

This raised a smile too

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 12:13, coprolite said:

The likes of Dodgy, Kula Shaker, Republican, Reef etc must be a joke surely? 

Absence of Boo Radleys is criminal. 

Mainly cos I don't know the boo radleys other than the happy bouncy tunes you heard on the radio.

So i thought that opinion was mad.

I also would like to add I fuckin' love Reef and Kula Shaker.

Music is great.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I hate the term "britpop" cos as someone said it was a media thing to drum up sales.

Music is subjective obviously but given Noel & Liam still have success the are doing something right.

This raised a smile too

Mainly cos I don't know the boo radleys other than the happy bouncy tunes you heard on the radio.

So i thought that opinion was mad.

I also would like to add I fuckin' love Reef and Kula Shaker.

Music is great.

I feel less judgemental than I did when I posted originally, so each to their own. 

i think 'Wake Up Boo' would probably be the reason folk think of them as Britpop.  But Giant Steps in 1993 was a phenomanal album.

I moved to Glasgow in 1994 and was living round the corner from King Tuts. Used to be in there a couple nights a week(it felt like) watching bands from 94-99.   There was a great run of gigs at Tuts circa 1995 when (I think) Shed 7 headlined and Supergrass supported...few weeks later Supergrass headlined with Bluetones supported...then few weeks later Bluetones headlined and I think Heavy Stereo supported...

I did see Oasis at the old cathouse in Glasgow(anyone ever go to that down by the Clyde?) in December 1993.  They were supporting Verve and as Verve were givign the first couple of hundred folka  free flexi single we got down mega early, Oasis first band on...i thought they were alright, my mate loved them and bought a t-shirt. The band on after them, Acetone, I liked better!

I was also at that Oasis gig.

Was it not the Barfly ?

Oasis were bottom of the bill. Liam walked on in jogging bottoms and a scruffy jumper. Looked an absolute shambles but went down really well.

Acetone were excellent. Their lead singer committed suicide a few years later I think before they made it big.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:33, G-MAN said:

I was also at that Oasis gig.

Was it not the Barfly ?

Oasis were bottom of the bill. Liam walked on in jogging bottoms and a scruffy jumper. Looked an absolute shambles but went down really well.

Acetone were excellent. Their lead singer committed suicide a few years later I think before they made it big.

no was definitely the old Cathouse..it was on Brown Street I think?...  Only saw two gigs there I think...that Verve gig with Oasis supporting, then when Oasis toured again June 1994 for their first UK headline tour they played the Old cathouse again.   Also saw them supporting the Boo Radleys at The Tramway in April 94 as part of Glasgow Sound City.

Barfly didnt open til a  few years later...think it was 13th note club and then Barfly...could be wrong though.

But yeah I always remember the jogging bottoms bit too!  Also I had this vague recollection of Oasis doign a cover of 'You Sexy Thing' by Hot Chocolate. I thought I'd dreamt it but it turns out Liam used to change the lyrics and sing it on one of their songs (Cloudburst maybe?) .

Saw them at T in the Park in 94, and then the Loch Lomond gig in 96 and then that was it for me with Oasis until Bencassim in 2003...

On 27/06/2019 at 15:08, Boostin' Kev said:

Always thought that Britpop era was a poor man's Madchester, that was a great time for white UK indie music. 

This.

Growing up with basically gang warfare and football hooliganism during the 80s, then evolving into the dance music scene and Madchester coupled with copious amounts of ecstasy was an amazing time to be young.

On 29/06/2019 at 11:53, Guest Pampered Adolescent said:

Marie du Santiago is Chief Executive of the University of Sunderland's Student Union. Haven't a scooby what the bassist is doing.

Johnny X, I believe is still active in the UK music scene.

When the original list of the 96 BBC high earners was published (>GBP 250K), Laverne was the only one I had met.

Also, interesting in that Cerys still has her South Wales accent, whereas Laverne's has significantly changed.....

Cheers

PA

Johnny X, or wor Lauren's brother Pete as he's also known, still does some music stuff. He was also teaching for a good few years.

Think he's doing a PHD now so will be spending most of his time on that.

Lauren's dad and my mum are cousins. I really liked her dad but only met Lauren on a few occasions when we were down visiting family in South Shields because by that point the kids were doing their thing as Kenickie. I did go to a weird family christening when Lauren's aunt adopted a child. Sat at the kitchen table with Lauren and her then boyfriend Malcolm Middleton. Middleton sat and said nothing to anybody else in the house. Lauren spoke to a few folk.

Lauren's dad was a really genuinely nice guy. He was in a band called The Gas Board in the 60s (he was in a few bands over the years but The Gas Board also featured Bryan Ferry at one point). There are newspaper cuttings online of the night her dad's band supported Jimmy Hendrix (at the Cellar in South Shields if I remember correctly)

From that era the two albums that I've never stopped listening to would be The Verve's A Northern Soul and The Stone Roses' Second Coming. Life's An Ocean and also Tightrope are the two tracks that stir up the most memories. Loved Oasis from the second I saw the video to Supersonic on The Chart Show but by the second album they'd gone a bit naff. Didn't stop me from thinking I was Liam for many years though! 

Still enjoy The Charlatans and Suede stand the test of time well too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't listen to any of these bands until about 20 years after Britpop, but my take on things is that Pulp had by far the highest peak- His N Hers and Different Class are close to perfect albums- but Blur win in terms of longevity and putting out 5 or 6 great albums over a decade. Oasis bar a few singles were entirely mediocre.

On 29/11/2019 at 23:50, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I didn't listen to any of these bands until about 20 years after Britpop, but my take on things is that Pulp had by far the highest peak- His N Hers and Different Class are close to perfect albums- but Blur win in terms of longevity and putting out 5 or 6 great albums over a decade. Oasis bar a few singles were entirely mediocre.

Different Class is definitely one of the more aptly named albums out there.

James had nothing to do with Britpop. They were big before it and sort of fading during it. You may as well throw in Teenage Fanclub. 

And I am pretty sure the Super Furries and Feeder were much more post Britpop bands. 

All the OP seems to be is an alphabetical list of bands who had singles out around 96. Its not really "here is this band, here is why they were a better Britpop band than x and y". 

So much as Britpop existed it was supposed to be music that referenced daily lives in Britain and if possible in a British accent with an influence from the Kinks/The Wire and so on as distinct from the C86 inspired low key stuff, Shoegaze etc indie music that had gone before. It emerged from\was influenced by the Inspirals, Stone Roses, Charlatans etc baggy sound (including Blurs first album).

How Cast and the The Blue Tones are better than Blur and Oasis is beyond me. 

Edited by dorlomin