90’s Britpop bands better than Oasis or Blur

Spyro

i think 'Wake Up Boo' would probably be the reason folk think of them as Britpop.  But Giant Steps in 1993 was a phenomanal album.
I moved to Glasgow in 1994 and was living round the corner from King Tuts. Used to be in there a couple nights a week(it felt like) watching bands from 94-99.   There was a great run of gigs at Tuts circa 1995 when (I think) Shed 7 headlined and Supergrass supported...few weeks later Supergrass headlined with Bluetones supported...then few weeks later Bluetones headlined and I think Heavy Stereo supported...
I did see Oasis at the old cathouse in Glasgow(anyone ever go to that down by the Clyde?) in December 1993.  They were supporting Verve and as Verve were givign the first couple of hundred folka  free flexi single we got down mega early, Oasis first band on...i thought they were alright, my mate loved them and bought a t-shirt. The band on after them, Acetone, I liked better!
Giant Steps and C'mon Kids were very different albums, but both so brilliant. Very underrated band.

Anyway, the best band of the 90s was clearly Suede. Until Bernard Butler left/was kicked out at least. Dog Man Star remains my favourite album of all time.

There's some amount of absolute shite in that list. Blur and Oasis made albums that were absolutely massive and had an impact that it's unlikely any band will ever have again (especially Oasis).

Reef Republica Seahorses Kula Shaker Lightning Seeds Shed Seven Space Catatonia Dodgy

Some decent singles but mainly pish

Embrace

This suggestion deserves a Chinese style music re-education camp.

The Manics weren't Britpop. Pulp were better than Blur or Oasis but everyone with a brain knows that. Ash had one great album that they never matched. Suede too inconsistent.

I've just been made aware of this thread and the fact that the Manic's have been labelled "pop". I do not lie, I am outraged by this. 

Only an absolute fucking idiot would label the Manic Street Preachers as pop. Fucking idiot. They have crossed genre's and set a standard for what was  to come for so long. Sure, they've got numerous massive hits but do any of you know Roses in the Hospital? A relatively unknown classic. 

Sure, IYTTTYCWBN was an absolute classic and one of my personal favourites but they are so SO much more than their chart hits. Fucking Ruel Street for anyone who disagrees.

On 22/06/2019 at 05:53, Spyro said:

Ash

The Bluetones

The Beautiful South

Cast

Catatonia

The Charlatans 

Dodgy

Elastica

Embrace

Feeder

Garbage

James

Kula Shaker

The Lightening Seeds

Manic Street Preachers

Mansun

Ocean Club Scene

Placebo

Pulp

Reef

Republica

The Seahorses

Shed Seven

Space

Suede

Supergrass

Super Furry Animals

PARKLIFE

Guest Pampered Adolescent

Two for myself, possibly not mentioned yet, and slightly late to the scene, would be Kenickie and Catatonia.

Kenickie were simply three Wearside teenage girls fooling around with an older sibling on drums, no-one taking themselves/the situation seriously. Sadly, in my view, there was a pompousness/seriousness with Britpop at times, and these girls (and guy) rose above this.

I first saw Catatonia at the Heineken Free Festival, Leeds, 1995. On a tiny stage, they were hugely impressive.

Shouts out to those above whom have mentioned Gene and Echobelly; respect for this.

Finally, for embdy who would recall Menswe@r, the opening lines of:

"Bobby boy is full of bravado/His girlfriend looks like Brigette Bardot/

He got drunk and crashed his car/He is such a superstar".

is quite genius. 

Regarding the big list, I wouldn't consider Placebo nor Garbage as Britpop on geographical reasons, though mostly I concur.

Cheers

PA

Ash
The Bluetones
The Beautiful South
Cast
Catatonia
The Charlatans 
Dodgy
Elastica
Embrace
Feeder
Garbage
James
Kula Shaker
The Lightening Seeds
Manic Street Preachers
Mansun
Ocean Club Scene
Placebo
Pulp
Reef
Republica
The Seahorses
Shed Seven
Space
Suede
Supergrass
Super Furry Animals

I think you just really dislike Oasis and Blur with some of these shouts. The Charlatans, Manics and Ocean colour Scene are the only reasonable shouts there IMO. I had never heard of Feeder until 2000 ish when Buck Rogers came out either, I’d imagine most people wouldn’t know them as a 90’s band.

Guest Pampered Adolescent
5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Man I completely forgot about Kenickie, wonder what happened to the ones apart from Lauren Laverne?

Marie du Santiago is Chief Executive of the University of Sunderland's Student Union. Haven't a scooby what the bassist is doing.

Johnny X, I believe is still active in the UK music scene.

When the original list of the 96 BBC high earners was published (>GBP 250K), Laverne was the only one I had met.

Also, interesting in that Cerys still has her South Wales accent, whereas Laverne's has significantly changed.....

Cheers

PA

17 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I've just been made aware of this thread and the fact that the Manic's have been labelled "pop". I do not lie, I am outraged by this. 

Only an absolute fucking idiot would label the Manic Street Preachers as pop. Fucking idiot. They have crossed genre's and set a standard for what was  to come for so long. Sure, they've got numerous massive hits but do any of you know Roses in the Hospital? A relatively unknown classic. 

Sure, IYTTTYCWBN was an absolute classic and one of my personal favourites but they are so SO much more than their chart hits. Fucking Ruel Street for anyone who disagrees.

I think of MSPs as pop, and there's nothing to be defensive about in the use of the term - pop is a broad church, and encompasses so much more than just chart music.

Wouldn't call them britpop, though.

9 hours ago, Yoss said:

I think of MSPs as pop, and there's nothing to be defensive about in the use of the term - pop is a broad church, and encompasses so much more than just chart music.

Wouldn't call them britpop, though.

I'd agree. I think britpop made them as big as they became because it opened floor. I totally understand why folk throw them in there as a result. But they ain't britpop.