Super Furry Animals
Ocean Club Scene?

Guest Moomintroll
Longpigs
Sleeper
Mansun
The Divine Comedy

Shed Seven were the bestest though.
Neil Hannon is an absolute musical genius, Shed Seven were the most underrated indie band of the 90s.

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
5 hours ago, Spyro said:
Ash
The Bluetones
The Beautiful South
Cast
Catatonia
The Charlatans 
Dodgy
Elastica
Embrace
Feeder
Garbage
James
Kula Shaker
The Lightening Seeds
Manic Street Preachers
Mansun
Ocean Club Scene
Placebo
Pulp
Reef
Republica
The Seahorses
Shed Seven
Space
Suede
Supergrass
Super Furry Animals

Ocean Club Scene?

It was the Yacht Rock side project.

Echobelly and Superstar were light years ahead of Blur and Oasis in the songwriting stakes; in addition, the former easily had the best looking front person of all the Britpop bands.

everett-true-interviews-echobelly-pt-1-3

I'd add The Verve to that list and also Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.

When the whole Blur vs Oasis thing was being hyped up by the media in the mid 90's, I definitely liked Blur better but neither were as great as Super Furry Animals.

ETA - I just noticed Radiohead aren't on that list, was that intentional?

7 hours ago, Spyro said:

Ash

The Bluetones

The Beautiful South

Cast

Catatonia

The Charlatans 

Dodgy

Elastica

Embrace

Feeder

Garbage

James

Kula Shaker

The Lightening Seeds

Manic Street Preachers

Mansun

Ocean Club Scene

Placebo

Pulp

Reef

Republica

The Seahorses

Shed Seven

Space

Suede

Supergrass

Super Furry Animals

I had absolutely no idea that Feeder were from the Britpop era until this post!

Pretty sure they're playing in Glasgow soon too.

Were Garbage not American and about at the same time as the Smashing Pumpkins? I know the lead singer was Scottish but I've always thought of them as a 'murican band (tbh im about to wiki their early years so might be in for a shock)

Garbage are American, Manson aside, yeah. There's a few others there I wouldn't count as Britpop either, just British bands who happened to be active in the 90s.

Still though, it's not until someone lays it all out like that that you realise what grim times they were.

3 hours ago, jofis said:

Echobelly and Superstar were light years ahead of Blur and Oasis in the songwriting stakes; in addition, the former easily had the best looking front person of all the Britpop bands.

everett-true-interviews-echobelly-pt-1-3

This person isn't Jarvis Cocker, so your statement is inaccurate. 

1 hour ago, 50/50 Winner said:

I'd add The Verve to that list and also Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.

When the whole Blur vs Oasis thing was being hyped up by the media in the mid 90's, I definitely liked Blur better but neither were as great as Super Furry Animals.

ETA - I just noticed Radiohead aren't on that list, was that intentional?

I love Sonnet and Lucky Man but really tried and failed to like the rest of The Verve...even Richard Ashcroft had one decent song. Will need to learn who that other band are

And I honestly can’t remember why Radiohead isn’t there, vaguely remember a massive debate about it, and The Bends is one of my all-time favs... I probably just forgot to write it down after arguing it’s case for 20 mins, or we decided they were NOT ‘Britpop’

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I had absolutely no idea that Feeder were from the Britpop era until this post!

If you like them now, wait until you find their early stuff... so I’ve been told

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Were Garbage not American

Shirley Manson is from down the road, and their style is more British so that’s how they got in... after another massive argument 😂

My personal favourites are one of the ‘P’s’, although debatable whether Placebo should be there

Edited by Spyro

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

Garbage are American, Manson aside, yeah. There's a few others there I wouldn't count as Britpop either, just British bands who happened to be active in the 90s.

Still though, it's not until someone lays it all out like that that you realise what grim times they were.

It depends what mood I’m in, atm I’d agree, got a bit of dance on...

I think the idea was that they had to have released a decent album between 94-97, from what I remember

🤢☠️

11 hours ago, Spyro said:

Ash

The Bluetones

The Beautiful South

Cast

Catatonia

The Charlatans 

Dodgy

Elastica

Embrace

Feeder

Garbage

James

Kula Shaker

The Lightening Seeds

Manic Street Preachers

Mansun

Ocean Club Scene

Placebo

Pulp

Reef

Republica

The Seahorses

Shed Seven

Space

Suede

Supergrass

Super Furry Animals

I was 20 years old in 1995 and Britpop really felt like it was mine. I had the floppy hair, the Adidas Gazelles and the Burberry shirt. I disavowed it a few years later though, sold all my CDs at Grouchos and stopped dressing like a fud. 

The Super Furries are about the only band mentioned above that I would still listen to.

i remember being pretty embarrassed at work when the Blur v Oasis chart battle happened as both singles were shite and my middle aged colleagues ripped the pish.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Sleeper were a fantastic band. First 2 albums are great. It's easy to overlook them. In part I'd argue that they were caught up with bands that they had little in common with and were far more than just another britpop band. I'd also argue that as hot as Louise Wener was/is, her image took some of the attention off their music.

Shame really. What I've heard of the new stuff doesnt really grab me but for much of their first 3 albums they made absolutely fantastic indie pop.

31 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Sleeper were a fantastic band. First 2 albums are great. It's easy to overlook them. In part I'd argue that they were caught up with bands that they had little in common with and were far more than just another britpop band. I'd also argue that as hot as Louise Wener was/is, her image took some of the attention off their music.

Shame really. What I've heard of the new stuff doesnt really grab me but for much of their first 3 albums they made absolutely fantastic indie pop.

I’ve been getting told about Sleeper all day from different people, apparently right up my street. Don’t know how they passed me by but I will definitely be giving them a listen over the next few days. Cheers 👍

Possibly just me, but while most of the non Oasis/Blur names in the thread were good 'singles' bands, hardly any of them made any all-killer-no-filler albums around the period. Mansun, Divine Comedy, MSP, Gene, The Verve and Pulp got closest IMO, but you could argue not all of them even count as Britpop per se.....