What if we cut out loan deals for a season?

10 minutes ago, Monkey socks said:

Would there be better opportunity to develop players?

would the standard of product on display improve/ decline?

would we still be subjected to the same level dross each week?

Discuss

Haven’t answered any of those specific questions but a club could have an oversized squad and ping out decent players with the hope of them improving and added bonus of assisting in defeating your rivals. 

Edited by crispy

Guest Moomintroll
Discuss
Bugger that, can't wait to welcome the cream of Inter Milans prospects to the theatre of pies this season.

51 minutes ago, Monkey socks said:

Discuss

More opportunities but not better. 

If by product you mean football, yes. 

No dross. It's an entertaining league. 

Killie are getting players from Man City,Chelsea and Inter Milan on loan so I am happy. 

I can understand that right enough, but I’ve never been a fan of the loan system.
I’m not a fan of transfer windows either, where clubs lose players who’ve been decent for a few months then they’re gone.

I can understand that right enough, but I’ve never been a fan of the loan system.
I’m not a fan of transfer windows either, where clubs lose players who’ve been decent for a few months then they’re gone.

You preferred the old system where clubs could sign players anytime they liked?

Yes, ban loans forever, but only if accompanying the rule with one than restricts squad size to 18.

I'm serious.

If not accompanied by such a requirement, loans should continue, as the lesser of evils when pitched against nonsense like Colt sides.

If loaning a player to another club however, the lending club should absolutely be denied the right to not face that player in a match.  The way things are, is yet another means of further favouring those who already enjoy advantages.

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, ban loans forever, but only if accompanying the rule with one than restricts squad size to 18.

What a fucking dreadful idea that is.

I hope I'm picking it up wrong that you're suggesting a squad size that includes no reserves or loan players?

St Johnstone lost a right winger this Summer to injury for 12 months, the registration window had closed. Does that mean we'd have to go the entire season with just 17 players? 

Under those rules would probably have had to cut the likes of Liam Gordon and Callum Hendry completely out the 18, two young players who have since come in and impressed to the point of being considering first team players next season.

As I say, I hope I've picked you up wrong.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What a fucking dreadful idea that is.

I hope I'm picking it up wrong that you're suggesting a squad size that includes no reserves or loan players?

St Johnstone lost a right winger this Summer to injury for 12 months, the registration window had closed. Does that mean we'd have to go the entire season with just 17 players? 

Under those rules would probably have had to cut the likes of Liam Gordon and Callum Hendry completely out the 18, two young players who have since come in and impressed to the point of being considering first team players next season.

As I say, I hope I've picked you up wrong.

Nah, you've not picked me up wrong, or even wrongly.

To be honest, my figure of 18 was a bit arbitrary.  The number could be slightly different, and we could even allow some flexibility in terms of injury.

However, the principle of restricting squad size is very important, if we'd rather limit the scale of advantage enjoyed by relatively wealthy clubs.

As is so often the case though, you're only capable of viewing this in narrow 'my club here and now' terms.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Nah, you've not picked me up wrong, or even wrongly.

To be honest, my figure of 18 was a bit arbitrary.  The number could be slightly different, and we could even allow some flexibility in terms of injury.

However, the principle of restricting squad size is very important, if we'd rather limit the scale of advantage enjoyed by relatively wealthy clubs.

As is so often the case though, you're only capable of viewing this in narrow 'my club here and now' terms.

Why wouldnt I view it in terms of my own club? 

You just seem so utterly obsessed by the Old Firm you're trying to concoct ways to hinder them, without even considering the fact that restricting squad sizes, and loans, would be far more harmful to teams with a lower budget. Celtic/Rangers could easily, easily, afford 18 players of first team quality to cover every position. Can Kilmarnock/Motherwell/St Johnstone?

Injuries would absolutely f**k every other team in the league.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Guest JTS98

I'm a borderline lunatic and nobody agrees with anything I ever say about football, but I'd only allow top-flight clubs a maximum of four players in and out of their first-team squad per season. Promoting from the youths etc is different.

Football would be better off if we lost the fetishisation of transfers.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why wouldnt I view it in terms of my own club? 

You just seem so utterly obsessed by the Old Firm you're trying to concoct ways to hinder them, without even considering the fact that restricting squad sizes, and loans, would be far more harmful to teams with a lower budget. Celtic/Rangers could easily, easily, afford 18 players of first team quality. Can Kilmarnock/Motherwell/St Johnstone?

Injuries would absolutely f**k every other team in the league.

Again a typically limited and narrow outlook. 

It would be hugely in St Johnstone's interests if the OF  were unable to have such large squads.  You can't see that though.

I've looked at our squad and narrowed it to 18.

We'd have gone a spell with a 17yo in goal with no sub keeper, had no full back cover all season, and 5 players under 22 who featured wouldnt have played a single minute.

A great plan IMO, should definitely help us close the gap to teams above us.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've looked at our squad and narrowed it to 18.

We'd have gone a spell with a 17yo in goal with no sub keeper, had no full back cover all season, and 5 players under 22 who featured wouldnt have played a single minute.

A great plan IMO, should definitely help us close the gap to teams above us.

Ah, I see that you're ignoring completely what I said about the figure of eighteen being debatable, as well as the bit about some allowances for injury.

That's not as weird however, as your apparent belief that only the club you like would be affected.  

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Ah, I see that you're ignoring completely what I said about the figure of eighteen being debatable, as well as the bit about some allowances for injury.

That's not as weird however, as your apparent belief that only the club you like would be affected.  

I'm using us as an example, because I know the most about our situation.

Changing it to 25 would make no difference. None. Celtic and Rangers came 5th and 7th in terms of "players used" last season and both gave dross youth game time at the end which bumped those numbers up. Not one club used under 25, yet the majority of bottom six clubs had some form of struggle with injuries at some point. Livingston had no strikers and relied on a CM to fill in, for example.

St Mirren relied on loan players to improve their quality and stay up, under your rules theyd have gone down with a whimper, being unable to sign anyone decent in January. 

14 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Hearts wouldn't have been able to field a team of 11 at points last season if squad sizes were restricted to 18...

AyE bUt It WoUlD WeAKeN CeLtIC aND RaNGeRs.

Thinking anything other than how fantastic that would be makes you a narrow minded imbecile apparently