Mark Field MP

ForzaDundee

Reagan (sic?) from that Shelagh Fogarty LBC clip the other day seems to have many an alias on this forum.

Peaceful protest does not validate manhandling, in any form, from anyone, on anyone, at anytime. Colonel Bob had a total meltdown on BBCR4 today trying to justify these actions; 'You can't touch her here, you can't touch her there, so the only place to get her is to grab her by the neck' (i'm paraphrasing, very very slightly here). 

So why did Mark Field MP feel the need to manhandle a peaceful protestor? Because of his sense of entitlement. He could have stopped at anytime and opened up some kind of dialog, but instead his 'instinct' (his word) got the better of him. His 'instinct' is to use force over reason, it's a horrifying trait of the right-wing conservative and extremely unbecoming of an elected public representative. 

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Did he not grab her by the back of the neck?

I appreciate you answering my questions but your point about him enjoying it is a bit silly really.

And what about the point about the possibility that she's armed in some way?

Not originally he didn't. By the throat, up against a pillar. And my point about him enjoying it a wee bit too much is every bit as sensible as any made about her possibly carrying a RL-83 under her cocktail dress.

Edited by JamieThomas

9 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

A police officer removing a person from a similar situation in the same manner would have been disciplined, potentially to the extent of being charged with common assault, and if found guilty, losing their job.

Fucking lol

10 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

A police officer removing a person from a similar situation in the same manner would have been disciplined, potentially to the extent of being charged with common assault, and if found guilty, losing their job.

You must be living on another planet. 

At this stage you don't really need to make a moral judgement on anything. Just do this:
  1. Go on twitter
  2. Are the worst people in the world defending X?
  3. X was wrong
That's a helluva slippery slope you'll be on if that's how you weigh things up though.

Social media poisons debate. Extreme sides are quickly taken and nuance thrown out the window.

Pandarillla spoiling for an argument again?
Too many folk go through life by waiting to see where the cool folk are on an issue and then deciding.

Every now and then I find myself against the 'p&b' majority but I think that might be to do with getting older. Who knows.

Your indignation (or that of fucking tibbermoresaint at the start of this thread) is certainly not going to influence my decision either way (although certain posters opinions do).

Firstly, grabbing someone around the neck is not an appropriate way of dealing with a peaceful but vocal protester.
Secondly, if she WAS armed we would be talking about a dead MP right now because nothing he did suggested he was either restraining her properly or making a concerted effort to seek weapons on her. If I thought someone was armed and about to attack, I wouldn't be performing a power move on them like that. I'd be frantically trying to grab both their arms and pinning them down until reinforcements come.
This is a straightforward case of a man trying to put a much smaller woman in her place.

It's the way he grabs her and pushes her into the pillar at the start, the rest of it is a non event. 

I don't necessarily disagree too much with these two posts as the worst of the incident is straight away but what I would say is that he was stopping her in her tracks.

If a peaceful protestor was stationary and making a protest then that would be more unreasonable but she's trying to get to the stage and he's trying to prevent that. He's reacting.

That's the bit where I think he's been a bit too aggressive but considering the circumstances I'm (naively) surprised by the level of outrage.

You can't accuse him of conjecture and then exactly the same thing.
There's a huge difference between trying to speculate on his feelings when this incident is occurring and turning it around politically.

Do folk believe the reaction on here would be the same if this was a right wing unionist protestor trying to interrupt a Nicola sturgeon speech?

You have to remove that element of the background completely.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Fucking lol

39 minutes ago, beefybake said:

You must be living on another planet. 

You seriously think if a police officer had been sitting at an event and was filmed acting in the same manner as Field at Mansion House would not have faced any disciplinary action? The outcome of such a  procedure is debatable, but it would have been deemed in the public interest for the officer to face  an internal hearing. 

In any case, that debate is going off topic in relation to the politicians actions.

People sceptical that the police would take any action at all if an officer acted like this are forgetting the victim is a middle class white woman and therefore superficially entitled to some level of fair treatment.