Jason King

Since Dunipace moved onto the Senior game the West region has been plodding along with 63 clubs which obviously in a 4x16 setup means there is a league which is a team short -

so to cut a long story short, if the East can attract four new clubs into a crumbling structure why cant the West seemingly attract clubs into the strongest Junior league in the country? Are there no ammies or sports clubs out there who fancy there chances of taking their club further in Scottish football?

Aside from that chancer who keeps claiming that Baillieston will be back "next season" there doesn't seem to be any chatter about anyone taking an interest in going West so should the West Region be actively looking for new members for next season or should they allow the leagues to run at 63?

There was rumours of Stonehouse Violet being revived by an ammie team in the area but hasn't came to anything yet. Also complicated by fact Royal Albert now use Violet's old ground which would take a beating with two clubs playing on it.

1 hour ago, Jason King said:

Since Dunipace moved onto the Senior game the West region has been plodding along with 63 clubs which obviously in a 4x16 setup means there is a league which is a team short -

so to cut a long story short, if the East can attract four new clubs into a crumbling structure why cant the West seemingly attract clubs into the strongest Junior league in the country? Are there no ammies or sports clubs out there who fancy there chances of taking their club further in Scottish football?

Aside from that chancer who keeps claiming that Baillieston will be back "next season" there doesn't seem to be any chatter about anyone taking an interest in going West so should the West Region be actively looking for new members for next season or should they allow the leagues to run at 63?

It’s not a “crumbling structure”.

It’s been in existence since 1886 and will continue to be many years from now.

Are there no ammies or sports clubs out there who fancy there chances of taking their club further in Scottish football?

Would travel be a concern since the move to regionwide divisions?

BSC Glasgow wanted to put a ‘reserve’ side in the West junior setup a few years back. They were knocked back, which is funny considering the East Juniors have now admitted 3 ‘reserve’ teams in linlithgow, Bo’ness & Sauchie and a boys club with no fan base in Syngenta who are ground sharing with an EoS team. Remember Clydebank were told they couldn’t use a Junior ground as a groundshare if they left the juniors...

18 minutes ago, Referee021 said:

YMMV but for me 30 or so clubs leaving over the last 3 years would tend to suggest that the East Region is indeed crumbling.

25 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

BSC Glasgow wanted to put a ‘reserve’ side in the West junior setup a few years back. They were knocked back, which is funny considering the East Juniors have now admitted 3 ‘reserve’ teams in linlithgow, Bo’ness & Sauchie and a boys club with no fan base in Syngenta who are ground sharing with an EoS team. Remember Clydebank were told they couldn’t use a Junior ground as a groundshare if they left the juniors...

Tom Johnston hates us though.

I know of a club who approached to join but decided against due to a variety of factors. There have been 2 new clubs admitted in the last 7 years with 2 leaving in that time.

Honest question how many amateur clubs have got grounds that are enclosed along with their changing rooms? I can’t think of many tbh but my knowledge of the grade isn’t great.

Since the changes to the Central/Ayrshire setup 16 years ago - Dunipace and Stonehouse have left the Juniors and Clydebank, Gartcairn, Girvan and Rossvale have become Junior teams.

Have we reached peak Junior for the modern age? Why would a club like Bonnyton join the SoS instead of the Junior setup - what made that a more attractive proposition? 

Just pondering what the West Region are doing in their attempts to market the game and broaden the base.

I know of a club who approached to join but decided against due to a variety of factors. There have been 2 new clubs admitted in the last 7 years with 2 leaving in that time.

Honest question how many amateur clubs have got grounds that are enclosed along with their changing rooms? I can’t think of many tbh but my knowledge of the grade isn’t great.
Glenhead Park is home of Drumchapel
ammies & is enclosed as far as I can see. Clydebank used it between 2004-2008.

I believe Dalziel Park used by Colville Park & Dalziel HSFP is enclosed also but I may be wrong on that.

The current East of Scotland Junior Football Association has existed from 1896, not 1886. The structure itself has went through many major changes since then, particularly 1922 and 2002.

EOS Junior Football Association sole purpose would have been to organise EOS cup which at the time was open to teams all the way up to Dundee (and surrounding area). Teams north of the Tay didn't last long though,(maybe to far to travel?)possibly ten years? Fife teams entered to 1919/20 season.
Yip the big change was 1922 when the ESJFA brought all leagues under their control in the Lothians and Borders.

Glenhead Park is home of Drumchapel
ammies & is enclosed as far as I can see. Clydebank used it between 2004-2008.

I believe Dalziel Park used by Colville Park & Dalziel HSFP is enclosed also but I may be wrong on that.

Glenhead was one I thought of. Is Colville’s ground next to the rugby club? Haven’t been out there for a while and think it might need some minor changes.

Im not sure there are many more clubs out there who want to join junior football in the west as they will need to make ground improvements and if they don’t own them they might not be allowed to make the changes. That is what happened to the club I know were interested.

5 hours ago, Jason King said:

Since the changes to the Central/Ayrshire setup 16 years ago - Dunipace and Stonehouse have left the Juniors and Clydebank, Gartcairn, Girvan and Rossvale have become Junior teams.

Have we reached peak Junior for the modern age? Why would a club like Bonnyton join the SoS instead of the Junior setup - what made that a more attractive proposition? 

Just pondering what the West Region are doing in their attempts to market the game and broaden the base.

The ability to work towards licensing and Scottish cup participation along with the prospect of competing to enter the Lowland League. Ability to run an u20’s side and seamless transition between the two teams.

I have felt for a very long time that Junior Football is several decades past its sell by date. It was good in its time but now a back stream to the real world of football. In respect to Benburb I would love them to join the pyramid outside the Junior Football. With Govan re-populating there is scope for decent standard non league teams to participate in meaningful fixtures. This could be achieved if they got them selves out of the Juniors and aspired to better things.