dunfermline v dundee

Good game to watch from the neutral perspective. Dundee got lucky with at least one of the pens.
Dunfermline fans, where was Kyle Turner? Injured or just not fancied?

Turner was suspended. He’ll be back into the squad, if not straight in the starting XI, next week. Hard to pick who’d have to drop out but I wouldn’t have enjoyed seeing him in this game tonight.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have to wonder how far into the season itll be before Crawford realises that his team wont be able to keep up a high early tempo, and that it utterly fucks them for the final half hour.

Exact same as the St Mirren game I seen them in, blow the team away early on, legs go, minds go, throw away the lead. They escaped with it against St Mirren, and were lucky to get a point by the end in this one.

The two penalties were horrendous decisions, but theres a bigger worry in there.

I think we can get fitter and will hopefully bring in one or two more experienced players soon as we are playing Celtic so should get cash from that.

Add Kyle Turner and Joe Thomson and an experienced winger to that side and we could be top four. Very impressed with Nisbet, he’s not just a goal scorer and I’m surprised nobody in the top league took a chance on him. The first penalty award, which was a pen, absolutely changed the game. Dundee hardly created one chance from open play even when we sat back. On another day 3-0 half time.

Considering last season I’m really happy with how things have turned around. The best football we’ve played since we got in the playoffs.

That first half was really enjoyable. We looked sharp, determined and well-organised. Helped of course by the fact that Dundee were appalling in the first half, with Kerr, Forster and Marshall looking horribly out of their depths. Forster especially looks like a total diddy but I’d expect a lot better from Kerr and Marshall, the system with 3 at the back really didn’t suit them.

Really impressed by our intensity in the first half in particular, we’ve obviously worked hard on quick breakaways and we have potential to bag quite a few from goals like our first one tonight alone. We allowed Dundee to press us for a while in that second half though, and coming away with a point in the end was a bit of a relief, which seems disappointing to say after being 2-0 up, regardless of contentious penalty decisions.

On the first viewing I thought the first penalty was a terrible decision with the second being a bit less arguable, but I feel the opposite after watching them both back. Really poor decision for the second penalty.

Penalties aside I thought the ref was very inconsistent. He lost the plot after the second pen. Booking for Coley was a joke and Forster was all over our players all night. On googling him it seems like he missed a stonewall penalty for Livingston against Dundee and on the Rangers board they’re saying he’s a lodge member and a killie fan. 

Im going to put 2+2 together and say he’s a massive billy boy bigot biased towards proddies.

Penalties aside I thought the ref was very inconsistent. He lost the plot after the second pen. Booking for Coley was a joke and Forster was all over our players all night. On googling him it seems like he missed a stonewall penalty for Livingston against Dundee and on the Rangers board they’re saying he’s a lodge member and a killie fan. 
Im going to put 2+2 together and say he’s a massive billy boy bigot biased towards proddies.
Same old pars draws will cost you lot a top 4 place again

Rovers fans told us that '' Nesbit only scores goals''.  Only scoring goals is fine by me.

Stevie has clearly done a wonder job on the rest of his game though. Looked tremendous holding the ball up, running channels and generally looking like a fucking brilliant CF.

2 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Rovers fans told us that '' Nesbit only scores goals''.  Only scoring goals is fine by me.

Stevie has clearly done a wonder job on the rest of his game though. Looked tremendous holding the ball up, running channels and generally looking like a fucking brilliant CF.

We played Raith in the play offs last season and in all honesty I wasn't impressed by him.

I thought he looked a real threat tonight though.  

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

We played Raith in the play offs last season and in all honesty I wasn't impressed by him.

I thought he looked a real threat tonight though.  

I'd been going on about him for a bit on the Dundee thread hoping that we would pick him up this season. Pars beat us to it and I think he's going to be a great signing for them, we're lucky he only netted one tonight.

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I'd been going on about him for a bit on the Dundee thread hoping that we would pick him up this season. Pars beat us to it and I think he's going to be a great signing for them, we're lucky he only netted one tonight.

Yep he was excellent tonight, especially first half.

Great performance first half, only criticism you could have is we should have been a bit more clinical and have 3 or 4.

Dundee came out more positive in the 2nd, we sat back far too much but in all honestly we've been robbed of 2 points by that c**t of a ref.

All told a lot of positives to take from that and hopefully we can have more performances like that, knowing us we'll go out and get scudded by Queens next wee and be back to square 1 though.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have to wonder how far into the season itll be before Crawford realises that his team wont be able to keep up a high early tempo, and that it utterly fucks them for the final half hour.

Exact same as the St Mirren game I seen them in, blow the team away early on, legs go, minds go, throw away the lead. They escaped with it against St Mirren, and were lucky to get a point by the end in this one.

The two penalties were horrendous decisions, but theres a bigger worry in there.

It's a fair point but it's also something Crawford has addressed quite openly. So many of our players have come in from League One, u20s, u23s that it's going to be a period of adjustment. We've got Kyle Turner, the standout player in the Betfred games for us, to come back and he's another former part-timer. Last night for example..

Aaron Comrie -mainly reserves last year, Euan Murray - League One , Lee Ashcroft, Lewis Martin: Paul Paton (c), Ryan Dow - part time last season, Tom Beadling - missed most of last season, Josh Coley u23s, (Matthew Todd 60 u20s): Kevin Nisbet, League One, Lewis McCann us20s (Josh Edwards 69) League One. 

We have scored a lot of early goals but Crawford does a lot of homework on teams and has spotted and sets us up to exploit other teams' weaknesses. Hardly groundbreaking but quite a change from our previous regime.

So yes, definitely a worry that we gas a bit but given we've thrown together a team of kids and part timers I don't think Pars fans can have too many complaints about our current direction.

Raith fans spent most of last season raving about his all round play.

Dunfermline fans can certainly feel more positive about last night than we can. Thought it was an interesting approach from both managers. We clearly set out to play the way we played against Caley whilst Dunfermline just focused on our style of play and looked to counter that. Their style worked and they absolutely battered us. Stroke of fortune to go in only 1 goal down but idiocy from Ryan Dow allowed us to do so.

Second half, we adopted the secondary formation we've been using all pre season and Dunfermline didn't have a plan b. At the end of the game, only 1 team looked like scoring. Daylight robbery from us considering the first half, but Dunfermline tired and they tired out quicker than I expected. I think Crawford's subs were poor, Dow was ripping us time and time again and Cole wasn't far behind him. Nullified their threat when he took them off.

Todd and McDaid meanwhile for us brought us right back into proceedings.

I was thinking last night about player's I'm concerned about in the Dee line-up and there is proving to be quite a few. Marshall looks very limited, Forster looks really slow and a bit of a bomb scare when it's not in the air and Cammy was horrendous at right back, but special mention to Jack Hamilton, whom I've tried my hardest to warm to but is just woefully out of his depth as a goalkeeper regardless of the level.

Some positives to take though:

Dunfermline is a team that'll dish out a few tidings this season. Cliche - but East End Park is one of the hardest places to go in this division and pick up 3 points. They are arguably the form team at the moment based on the League Cup, and we walked away with a fortuitous point without ever getting out of second gear.

Definitely not the worst point, but lessons need to be learned or we'll quickly find our league title push becoming a play-off push.

That first half was more enjoyable than anything we watched last season. Really excellent performance where we really went at Dundee with pace, directness and no shortage of quality. We could, and maybe should have been further ahead, but 2-0 at half time and I'd have been confident we'd go on to win.
The first penalty changed things and I said to my pals that my worry was that we'd tire later on after producing such energy earlier. That seemed to happen and Nisbet, who again was superb, began to become more isolated.
For the first penalty, with the rules as they are, I see why it's given. We should be doing better in trying to clear though.
I didn't have a good view of the second, but watched it back and it's a brilliant tackle by Ashcroft. He recovers the situation so well so quite galling it was given.
The ref though gave some bizarre decisions both ways outwith that; not his best day.
Credit to Dundee, their HT subs had an impact and McGowan became more influential after the break.
For us, Nisbet and Dow stood out IMO, and I thought Lewis McCann played as well as I've seen him.
A shame we didn't get the win, and things to work on, but overall it was a decent game and a lot of positive stuff from the Pars.

6 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

😂

I assume this is a fishing effort as only a dribbling simpleton would post that with any seriousness at all. 

Anyway, that was a weird game. Dunfermline should have been out of sight at half time, but Ryan Dow's inability to deal with a shite cross despite having an eternity to watch it coming over gave us a lifeline we didn't deserve. A change in formation second half, subbies and Dunfermline shiting the bed somewhat changed things, and we could have possibly snatched a totally undeserved win. The first penalty is a pen, no doubt - Dow simply made a complete c**t of it. The second one was risible however and I'd be utterly seething about it had it been the other way round. 

Michael Stewart's co-commentary was a fucking shambles. He must have moaned about the pens for almost the entire second half. Indeed the whole programme was a clusterfuck, with that annoying as f**k weegie woman playing football cliche bingo, right up until the interview with Nisbet at the end when the boy tries to sneak the sponsors backdrop into shot. Truly tinpot stuff. 

ETA: On the basis of that game Dunfermline should be comfortably top 4. On the basis of our second half performance, so should we. 

Edited by Day of the Lords

Mixed feelings after that. First half we were absolutely brilliant. If Nisbet wasn’t trying to be clever with that finish that came off the bar, we would have been 3 up. We had plenty of decent chances barring that one to be potentially 3 or 4 up. Again, stupid defensive errors cost us. Dow was surprisingly the one that gave it away and not a defender.

On the defence, we look so much better than last season. I thought every one of them played well. Murray and Comrie stood out for me.

The worrying thing for us is these 2nd half performances. We looked absolutely fucked around the 60th minute which gave Dundee all the freedom they wanted to pass the ball about. Can’t remember us having any chances 2nd half apart from Nisbet’s effort from outside the box that flashed just wide.

I’ve always been of the opinion that the ref shouldn’t matter as long as you stick to your own game plan and make sure you do your bit right to win the game, but I cannot deny how poor he was. A totally lethargic performance and the linesmen weren’t much better. The second penalty was anything but and it cost us 3 points in the end.

We move on now and take the positives in to the next game.

11 hours ago, overthetop said:

Disgraceful refereeing two horrible errors.

The first penalty decision was not, in any universe, in any era, remotely horrible.  It couldn't not have been a penalty. 

The second one was a controversial decision.