dunfermline v dundee

Dundee will struggle with those two central defenders and Hamilton flapping about. Watched "Finniesta" (sigh) closely - totally anonymous in the first half when McCann nullified him very well, had more of the ball in the second half but was dropping very deep and so didn't do as much going forward. Early days mind you but I'd have expected him to get the better of a centre forward playing deep and Paul Paton. They should be top 4 though, but will need more squad depth if they are to challenge Dundee Utd for the title.

As to the game itself, I thought the first was a penalty (and rank stupidity - even if he successfully chested it down it's still an awful place to try and play from) but the second didn't look like one even from the far end. Thought the referee was conned a few times into giving some soft free kicks (especially to Forster, and it looked like the only way he was going to get the better of Nesbit tonight) and generally didn't handle things well. Plus la change. I think we're going to see a lot of this from us this season - coming out the traps and tiring - but one thing's for sure, it won't be as boring as last season was.

Finally, just watched back most of the TV Coverage this morning. Why do the BBC insist on having two footballers doing the links etc. rather than a professional broadcaster with a pro? A few people were talking about Leanne Crichton during the game on here and I didn't twig til I watched it back and she talked about playing in front of 30,000 fans that she was the Glasgow City and Scotland midfielder rather than one of those reporters that Sportsound have on Open All Mikes. Have her as a pundit, sure, but this looked like her first presenting gig, even if it wasn't.

Both penalties, while definitely contentious, were justified I feel. The first one is completely fair imo as with the new rule change, Dow's hand being extended so far from his body in what looked to be an attempt to take the ball down looked pretty clearly like an attempt to make his body bigger. The second is harder to defend, but with two Pars defenders squashing Johnson already, Ashcroft's little nick at the ball that appeared to catch Johnson on the way out of the challenge looked bad enough for a penalty.

The first is not worth debating. Clearly a penalty and I’ll say it again if his arm isn’t there the ball goes straight to Marshall to roll it along the 6 yard line. I’m sorry but you get a penalty when one of the opposition deliberately handles the ball floated at him from the other side of the pitch.
Having rewatched the BBC highlights it’s pretty clear the second one is a penalty too. Sandwiched between 2 defenders, shoved hard from the right side defender who then goes through Johnson’s legs, catching his left one, then manages to hook the ball out. Somebody asked what’s the defender meant to do - let him score? Yes well that’s what they have to do sometimes otherwise it’s a penalty.

I got the ball.
I booted my foot through the striker's legs to get it so it's definitely not a penalty.
What pish is being talked.
Anywhere else in the pitch they're both fouls and nobody bats an eye about it. IMG_20190803_175941.jpeg

Honestly, I feel Dundee were probably going to score an equaliser anyway as they'd found their feet and we were tiring badly. Would be less sore for the home fans if it was thanks to a well-worked goal or a thunder b*****d, rather than a soft as shite penalty.

Anyway, moaning about it won't change anything and the ref will keep getting games despite his cock up. Hopefully we learn from the game and get 3 points at Queens.

Just now, Dele said:

I know it's your in house station but I'm fucking howlin' at they "highlights" shots blocked 40 yards out and crosses horrendously over hit. You're in for a long season if that's a highlight. 

I feel bad complaining about it but stuff like that happens every week. I'm not sure whether they do it to pad out the package or because someone honestly believes they're highlights.

My biggest pet peeve is normally the fact they include the kick-off but I'm praying this has finally been dropped.

Suspension carried over from his time at Stranraer

Good game to watch from the neutral perspective. Dundee got lucky with at least one of the pens.
Dunfermline fans, where was Kyle Turner? Injured or just not fancied?

Law XII says that only a tackle from behind which endangers the player is a foul there is no way that Ashcroft endangers anyone in that move and it's an excellent but of defending. As for Comrie on the strikers other side the striker has a grip of his shirt so you can give anything for that coming together

Like others have said first one is a stone waller, no debate needed. The second one though I think is a brilliant piece of defending.

The game itself I thought we were brilliant. What a difference it makes to see a team creating chances and most importantly finishing them, Nisbet scored more at East end this season than anyone last season I believe? Pleasing, he'll be a massive player for us and it's imperative we keep him fit.

Conceding a goal just before half time is a big blow and you could see the effect it had on our players, Dundee game out if the blocks second half. Apart from the 2 penalty's thought Dundee created next to nothing and if they don't make a few more signings will be nowhere near united come the end of the season, Byrne non existent.

All in all a pleasing performance despite the controversy and can't wait for my first trip to Dumfries next week.