dunfermline v dundee

As a neutral I find it quite bizarre how both sets of fans see the penalty decisions. In my book both were soft, with the second a good tackle and never a penalty. Even if my team had got that decision I could never turn round and say “stonewaller”

How is the first one soft? It’s a twenty yard cross with nobody in front of him and he controls it with his hand. Despite “Mikey” Stewart banging on about the “new rules”, that’s a penalty any season you choose.

I don’t think the second one was a penalty, but it’s not at all clear cut.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

How is the first one soft? It’s a twenty yard cross with nobody in front of him and he controls it with his hand. Despite “Mikey” Stewart banging on about the “new rules”, that’s a penalty any season you choose.

This.

It's bonkers, mental, through the looking glass here people, that there's any kind of debate here.

It's as clear a penalty as you'll see.   

The whole "unnatural position" thing refers to when the ball gets blasted towards the defender from two yards, not when it's gently floated from over twenty.

Seriously, it's incredible that anyone sees this as an issue of any description.

2 hours ago, Dele said:

. Dunfermline did seem to enjoy a wee Swan dive at times. 

The only clear dive of the whole game came from Cammy Kerr. 

2 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

First half absolutely, Forster was stinking (although clearly not the only one.) He improved in the second half though and finished the game looking comfortable. 

The referee helped him out massively by giving him some bizarre fouls tbf. He's shocking. 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

he takes man then ball.

No he doesn't? 

If nothing else I think last night was one of the better championship games that have been covered. 

Choose two OK teams in a game which will have an alright atmosphere with a decent attendance and it shows up the game really well, who'd have thought? Dundee have a ruthless first four games. 

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

😂

I assume this is a fishing effort as only a dribbling simpleton would post that with any seriousness at all. 

Anyway, that was a weird game. Dunfermline should have been out of sight at half time, but Ryan Dow's inability to deal with a shite cross despite having an eternity to watch it coming over gave us a lifeline we didn't deserve. A change in formation second half, subbies and Dunfermline shiting the bed somewhat changed things, and we could have possibly snatched a totally undeserved win. The first penalty is a pen, no doubt - Dow simply made a complete c**t of it. The second one was risible however and I'd be utterly seething about it had it been the other way round. 

Michael Stewart's co-commentary was a fucking shambles. He must have moaned about the pens for almost the entire second half. Indeed the whole programme was a clusterfuck, with that annoying as f**k weegie woman playing football cliche bingo, right up until the interview with Nisbet at the end when the boy tries to sneak the sponsors backdrop into shot. Truly tinpot stuff. 

ETA: On the basis of that game Dunfermline should be comfortably top 4. On the basis of our second half performance, so should we. 

Definitely not serious.

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

The only clear dive of the whole game came from Cammy Kerr. 

Sure, if you want to ignore Dow and Coley first half and then your right back going down, pretending to be injured rolling about and realising it was a Dundee ball then getting up and sprinting back into position. 

Your striker done this, too. We had to put the ball out for him to get back to his feet and walk away with nothing wrong with him. 

I don't blame you for trying to break the game up and waste time, you were on the back foot and needed every second you could garner at that point. 

Dundee had one header on target from open play. They took until about 70 minutes to put a decent move together. We completely outplayed them until we tired but some credit must go to McPake for changing it. Even then I thought the two wingers were largely meh.

McGowan looked good on the ball and other than that I was disappointed with how poor they looked. Really lacking in the quality needed to win the league. Still time yet and I sure they will get better. We really should have seen them off 4 or 5 nil if we were ruthless enough.

2nd was a pen IMO.

Even if he didn't take his legs, you can't have 2 defenders bounce a striker off one another like a pinball machine. It was a clear foul.

I liked the boy Nisbets energy, he is really quick and it looks like Crawford got his tactics (like his signings) spot on to work against our 3 at the back. He did not however have any plan b to change things when we did. If Dunfermline get fitter to last the 90, they will for sure be at the right end of the table, unless of course they were only showing up for the big team and the cameras. 😏

Dundee had one header on target from open play. They took until about 70 minutes to put a decent move together. We completely outplayed them until we tired but some credit must go to McPake for changing it. Even then I thought the two wingers were largely meh.
McGowan looked good on the ball and other than that I was disappointed with how poor they looked. Really lacking in the quality needed to win the league. Still time yet and I sure they will get better. We really should have seen them off 4 or 5 nil if we were ruthless enough.
Agreed. We played poor and still managed a point away from home in first game of season.
You should of put the game out of sight but instead let us into the game. Ashcroft with a good closeline on Todd could of changed the game also , ( no way the defender way over was covering ).

Need to take this and move on but yeah decent start especially as we have one of the worst keepers in the league to deal with and a right back that is way out his depth.

Plenty for mcpake to think about and hopefully add more players that is needed I feel

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Penalties aside I thought the ref was very inconsistent. He lost the plot after the second pen. Booking for Coley was a joke and Forster was all over our players all night. On googling him it seems like he missed a stonewall penalty for Livingston against Dundee and on the Rangers board they’re saying he’s a lodge member and a killie fan. 

Im going to put 2+2 together and say he’s a massive billy boy bigot biased towards proddies.

And your point is ?

Dundee had one header on target from open play. They took until about 70 minutes to put a decent move together.

Their build-up play before the first penalty was a neat wee move.

Dunfermline were excellent in the first half. Can’t help but get the impression that they won’t sustain that sort of performance for very long. Certainly need to be fitter and it’ll be interesting to see them against other sides as the season progresses. We’ve came away with a draw in a game we were largely abysmal.

Got to say, I’m worried about our full backs being used as wingbacks and our centre half’s (McGhee aside) being required to cover the space in behind - they looked incredibly uncomfortable. Meekings couldn’t wait to get off the pitch and he was bossed physically.

Positives - Fin Robertson is class. Johnson will score goals. McDaid and Todd looked a threat and still Jamie Ness to return. Still need at least three new players in.

I’m also not understanding the notion that Nisbet was trying to be ‘cute’ with his shot that hit the bar at 2-0. It was a brilliant piece of improvisation, and he was seriously unlucky not to have scored.

I’m also not understanding the notion that Nisbet was trying to be ‘cute’ with his shot that hit the bar at 2-0. It was a brilliant piece of improvisation, and he was seriously unlucky not to have scored.

Aye. He didn’t do it to try and look clever, it was the only way he could get a decent shot away. Tho the easier effort would possibly to pick coley out. That said, the way he’s been finishing I don’t think anyone could complain if he never passes the ball again.

For 2nd penalty it is a tackle from behind from Ashcroft and while he got the ball he still went through Johnson and by the rules it is a free kick/penalty. The full back also barges then pushes Johnson, the ref could also have given the penalty for this. Whatever, penalty was the correct call.

2 minutes ago, DieDee said:

For 2nd penalty it is a tackle from behind from Ashcroft and while he got the ball he still went through Johnson and by the rules it is a free kick/penalty. The full back also barges then pushes Johnson, the ref could also have given the penalty for this. Whatever, penalty was the correct call.

Yeah. Swipes the forwards trailing leg to get the tackle in and as you say he was being barged off the ball in a goal scoring position.  Ref was very patient with the keeper angrily throwing the ball away and one defender clearly grabbing the refs arm. 

Have to say I think Ashcroft was a bit reckless and probably a pen. The first one was harsh though, seems daft that you get a goal from a meaningless strike of the ball. I would change the rules to unless it’s in the six yard box or blocking a goal bound shot then non deliberate handballs or moving arms in self defence or natural movement isn’t a penalty. 

What would have happened if Dow had missed the ball? It wasn’t even dangerous. It will balance out but the new handball rules are daft.