dunfermline v dundee

Great first half with Dow making an arse of that clearance. We looked so sharp and solid that we should have been out of sight. The second half we weathered the early Strom and grew into the game and immediately conceded probably the worst penalty call I have ever witnessed what the referee and his assistant thought they saw was wild and it knackered us, again this season out heads go down. Undoubtedly McCann was knackered and that when we missed Turner or Thompson to get us up the park as once we went 5 at the back we were really playing for a draw.

Dundee look utterly horrific especially at the back 5 couldn't run and barley won a ball all game without going over the striker, I was seething that the ref never picked up on it. Hamilton looks like a joke of a player and the forwards didn't have much service and had 2/3 shots on target from open play. If that's your team for the season then it looks like you're trying to go one better than Partick last season and actually go down

I'll need to see the game back but I can't agree with Dundee's defenders being overly physical. The whole stand was screaming at them to stand up more. Dunfermline did seem to enjoy a wee Swan dive at times. 

Edit : also exceptionally amused at Dunfermline having a decent 45 minutes, being completely outplayed by a team in second gear the second half means Dundee will be the ones struggling. It's amazing to see. 

Edited by Dele

Was relieved to get the point at full time, we were under pressure and aitken was making things up as he went along so another penalty was always possible. That said did Dundee create much outside of that? They had a lot of the ball 2nd half but I can’t remember Scully having to make a save.

Our overall performance is exactly what to expect from us, young talented yet inexperienced squad, 100mph at the start and doing very well, struggling abit later on. Would have taken a draw before the game and not that disappointed to not get the win.

Dundee are no where near title contenders on that performance, keep it up and they’ll be battling to make the playoffs, there’s too much talent in this league for that defence to keep sides out, and they seem to be building themselves on having a strong defence and winning narrowly , a bad combo.

Penalties have been talked about, on looking back the 2nd is horrific. The 1st I’m still not sure on, would like a behind the goal angle.

Surprised not to see much said about Ashcroft’s booking, that could have easily been a red card.

Dundee weren’t good the second half. They picked up the pace a bit but we invited them in to it and seemed to be blowing out our arse after an initial 10 minute spell after the kick-off were we played well. That’s a concern for us, definitely. But still miles better than last season.

We should have targeted their baldy CB more. He was hopeless. Nisbet was getting so much joy off him.

1 hour ago, Larbert_Par said:

For the first penalty, with the rules as they are, I see why it's given. 

Yes, that rule preventing outfield players from playing the ball with their arms or hands - the one presumably drawn up some time in the 1860s.

Looks like most of the game's been covered. First half was utterly dreadful from our perspective, Ryan Dow and the boy Coley were having a field day while we had no clue how to handle a team going at us. I haven't seen any highlights but pleasing to hear that it was Dow that gave away the first penalty (cheers Ryan, hope you're hurting this morning knowing you got us back in it!) 

Second half was clearly much better. Byrne was anonymous in the first but came on to a good game. Mcdaid was the best we've seen of him and Todd was excellent, need to see it back but I thought at the time whoever fouled him (Ashcroft?) should've been off. Gowser was the Gowser of preseason and the past few cup games who's strolled it and Finlay Robertson cigarred it again . The boy's absolutely class and at 16 years old is going to attract some major interest from teams much bigger than ourselves. 

Would have taken the draw before the game and at half time I'd have bitten your hand off, Dunfermline did totally shit the bed though and a late winner would have been pandemonium. 

Take the point and learn our lessons, a new RB if Mcghee's gonna play in the middle is needed to challenge Cammy who was poor. If Mcpake doesn't trust Ferrie to play in goals yet then a new keeper is needed to challenge Hamilton too, the boy's clearly mentally fragile and we can't afford to get past the transfer deadline and have his confidence shot to pieces. We'll simply never challenge for the title if we do. 

Edited by Louis Litt

12 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

We should have targeted their baldy CB more. He was hopeless. Nisbet was getting so much joy off him.

First half absolutely, Forster was stinking (although clearly not the only one.) He improved in the second half though and finished the game looking comfortable. 

36 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Penalties have been talked about, on looking back the 2nd is horrific. The 1st I’m still not sure on, would like a behind the goal angle.

Surprised not to see much said about Ashcroft’s booking, that could have easily been a red card.

First one was a stonewaller, second one is never a penalty in a million years.

Also thought Ashcroft should have got a straight red, looked like the Dundee player was going straight through.

And Tom Beadling had a couple of quite hefty challenges after being booked.  One in particular was a big risk and could have been a second booking.

1 hour ago, Dele said:

I'll need to see the game back but I can't agree with Dundee's defenders being overly physical. The whole stand was screaming at them to stand up more. Dunfermline did seem to enjoy a wee Swan dive at times. 

Edit : also exceptionally amused at Dunfermline having a decent 45 minutes, being completely outplayed by a team in second gear the second half means Dundee will be the ones struggling. It's amazing to see. 

There was next to no final product in the second half for your team. The baldy guy wasn't over physical he just went over the top every time he tried to header the ball.

Also Dundee should have got a penalty when the free kick was aimed at Ashcrofts arm it clearly hits it and it makes his body bigger the referee had a nightmare.

This is a good result for us all things considered.

We still need a few more bodies in (especially a keeper) so we don’t have to watch Flapjack ever again.

Huge learning curve for Mcpake and I think we’ll be at a much higher grade by the time we play the DABs.

Also on the plus side, Pars4life seems to be absolutely fizzing.

Thank you.

As a neutral I find it quite bizarre how both sets of fans see the penalty decisions. In my book both were soft, with the second a good tackle and never a penalty. Even if my team had got that decision I could never turn round and say “stonewaller”
First stonewaller handball - even before the change in the rules that would have been a penalty.

The second - the defender gets the ball but goes through Johnson's legs to do so - he takes man then ball.

59 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Dundee weren’t good the second half. They picked up the pace a bit but we invited them in to it and seemed to be blowing out our arse after an initial 10 minute spell after the kick-off were we played well. That’s a concern for us, definitely. But still miles better than last season.

This was my take on things. They had a lot of the ball in the second half but I never thought they really threatened too much or looked that dangerous from open play. Took until Dunfermline were tiring to do anything.

Also thought Ashcroft should have got a straight red, looked like the Dundee player was going straight through.
And Tom Beadling had a couple of quite hefty challenges after being booked.  One in particular was a big risk and could have been a second booking.
The decision regards Ashcroft was correct - there was a covering defender so he wasn't the last man.

39 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

There was next to no final product in the second half for your team. The baldy guy wasn't over physical he just went over the top every time he tried to header the ball.

Also Dundee should have got a penalty when the free kick was aimed at Ashcrofts arm it clearly hits it and it makes his body bigger the referee had a nightmare.

Absolutely. I thought that was definite penalty, as did I think it was a red card for the foul at the free kick, from the middle of the stand behind the goal, no way was the other defender getting across before Todd would get a shot away. 

25 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
49 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The decision regards Ashcroft was correct - there was a covering defender so he wasn't the last man.

Never meant to quote this, can't delete it. 

24 minutes ago, Ylf said:

ryan dow is a fanny btw.

Thought he took his slagging quite well tbh. Even giving us a thumbs up when he was subbed off. 

The p***k who tried to deck him with a cup of juice needs to grow up. Its a game of football ffs. 

f**k-a-duck can't believe I've forgot to mention it. Massive, huge shout out to Forster who towards the end of the game absolutely smashed the Dunfermline boy by welling it off him so we got a goal kick and putting him 5 foot in the air. Glorious. 

McPake getting a lot of credit for changing the side around at half time, but how has he allowed us to go into the new season so short of seasoned pros? 

To be honest he caught a huge break that Dundee were still in a position to salvage the game. The changes needed to be made earlier IMHO.

Most people have covered the main stuff already. We were excellent in the first half and should probably have finished the game off before half time. Nisbet, Dow and Coley looked electric and shout out to Comrie and Martin, who were both miles better than I'd have thought possible.

Penalty decisions, I think the first one is daft from Dow but soft and the second one is just not a penalty at all. What's Ashcroft supposed to do, just let him score?

Thought Dundee were appalling in the first half but improved a lot in the second. We sat back, likely as we had nothing left in the tank, which looks like it could be an issue this season. Plenty of positives though, so hopefully we keep it up next week at Queens.