East Region Superleague 2019/2020

Jock Tamson

Not much activity in here, so let's get this thread active again. Lochee United v Broughty is off due to Broughty's game at Darvel. We'll have a home friendly v Lochee Harp, the first game in over a month. That also means that after today we'll be 4 games behind Carnoustie, who play Scone away and currently have an 11 point lead. That's going to be tough to catch up with, although we're in good form.

9 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

On the subject of Lochee Harp, I notice they posted up on twitter a few days ago, a brief clip of their new ground.   3g now complete, fencing up, looks to be just the buildings to follow.

Yes, it's definitely starting to look good. It will be good for them to finally play at a ground of themselves again.

7 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Noticed Coupar Angus have had a turn around in fortunes from the past few seasons. Nothing earth shattering but currently on 15 points. Small steps in right direction.

This time last year I watched them at home to Luncarty. They lost 0-14 with Luncarty not even trying that much after the first 20 minutes (when they were already 5-0 up). Coupar Angus looked absolutely awful. Nothing spectacular this season indeed, but they when I watched them again early this season they looked much better.

51 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Thornton up to fourth with games in hand.:)

They are looking most likely at the moment. Livingston too inconsistent and and have played too many games. Likewise Whitburn. Pumpherston in my opinion are in a false position from the games I've seen them in. Fauldhouse are in meltdown at the moment and could fall away. Armadale could be the surprise team.

Much more competitive that the East of Scotland leagues!

Edited by shuggie123

17 minutes ago, shuggie123 said:

They are looking most likely at the moment. Livingston too inconsistent and and have played too many games. Likewise Whitburn. Pumpherston in my opinion are in a false position from the games I've seen them in. Fauldhouse are in meltdown at the moment and could fall away. Armadale could be the surprise team.

Much more competitive that the East of Scotland leagues!

U have broxburn hob and boness going for the league about 6 teams.battling the drop. U had dunbar beat dundonald today to try and help beat the drop 

On 07/03/2020 at 10:32, Marten said:

This time last year I watched them at home to Luncarty. They lost 0-14 with Luncarty not even trying that much after the first 20 minutes (when they were already 5-0 up). Coupar Angus looked absolutely awful. Nothing spectacular this season indeed, but they when I watched them again early this season they looked much better.

Was at Coupar Angus v Brechin Vics on Saturday. Had to leave early (was 3-2 to Brechin at the time), but they got a 4-4 draw.

They looked competitive and there was little between the sides. CA were two down but brought it back to two apiece, before losing a goal again just before half time. I believe they then got themselves 4-3 ahead before losing a late goal.

Nice quirky little ground they have too

• 1 month later...
On 07/03/2020 at 19:44, gogsy said:

I think it was Jock Stein:unsure2: that once said something along the lines of "you could have eight grannies in a 100m race, that would be competitive but its not sport. "

I think he actually said "You could have a group of 70 year-old men running round a track, and it could be competitive.  But it did not mean the quality was high." 

It was in response to someone's assertion that the English First Division (as was) is "the most competitive league in the world".  A wise man was Mr S.   

I sort of met him once.  Myself and some friends were in the queue outside Falkirk Ice Rink where the first Tennents Soccer Sixes were being held in 1984.  Jock. with a couple of other important-looking guys wandered straight to the head of the queue and right in.  As he passed us, I put my hand out to shake his, and he utterly ignored me. 

Can't say I blame him.

Edited by Ian38018

• 2 weeks later...

looking forward to taking in a few whitburn games next season given links to the area. 

great work has been going on at the club and will defiantly be supporting them in the junior cup next season against the best of the north juniors and west juniors. 👍🏆

looking forward to taking in a few whitburn games next season given links to the area.  great work has been going on at the club and will defiantly be supporting them in the junior cup next season against the best of the north juniors and west juniors. [emoji106][emoji471]   

There are no West Junior sides left after every one of them moved to the WoSFL. There are, however, senior sides from the WoSFL who may take part in the Junior Cup if a motion to allow them to do so gains enough support at the SJFA AGM and should they be able to fit it into their potentially crowded fixture calendar.

Junior football no longer exists in the west of the country and with it only being the diehards of West Lothian, the region of Tayside and the North Juniors - and they may yet end up in the senior pyramid underneath the HFL - left the game at that level will be relegated to an even smaller sideshow than it ever was. Glorified amateur football sadly.