Sign in to follow this  
Romeo

Vienna and Bratislava

Planning a trip between Budapest and Munich by train between 2 Euro games I've hopefully got tickets for next summer. Planning 2 nights in Budapest (been before recently) and train to Vienna, then on to Salzburg and Munich. Have 6 nights to divide between Vienna, Salzburg and Munich. I'm not a big sightseer, prefer just mooching about cafes and bars, with the odd museum in between. My thoughts at the moment are that Vienna and Munich are huge cities that would take more than a couple of days to get my head around, but that Salzburg could be a bit schmaltzy. Any thoughts appreciated. Trying to plan early before prices potentially explode. 

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not a big sightseer, prefer just mooching about cafes and bars, with the odd museum in between. 

I think you'd really enjoy Vienna. It's centre is compact with a great transport system. Loads of excellent cafes and bars and some grand buildings to see as you move from cafe to bar.

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I think you'd really enjoy Vienna. It's centre is compact with a great transport system. Loads of excellent cafes and bars and some grand buildings to see as you move from cafe to bar.

Cheers, might drop Salzburg then. 

Munich isn't as big as you'd think, it's very compact in the old parts of the city and the trams make it very easy to get around. We spent 3 days / 4 nights in it last summer and it was more than enough, we managed to visit the main bier halles and gartens, the sightseeing tour and a trip to dachau in that time.

Cheers, think I'll do three nights each in Vienna and Munich unless someone has something special to say about Salzburg. Was thinking about fitting in Salzburg by commuting to the game in Munich but don't think I'll bother. Maybe an afternoon changing trains.

Edited by welshbairn

Central Salzburg is pretty small and if  you're not planning on cramming in Mozart museum(s) then a day trip should cover most of it.

Central Munich does spread out pretty massively but if you have some idea of what sort of area you want to be in then it's easy to find your way around from place to place.