Vienna and Bratislava

Romeo

Planning a trip between Budapest and Munich by train between 2 Euro games I've hopefully got tickets for next summer. Planning 2 nights in Budapest (been before recently) and train to Vienna, then on to Salzburg and Munich. Have 6 nights to divide between Vienna, Salzburg and Munich. I'm not a big sightseer, prefer just mooching about cafes and bars, with the odd museum in between. My thoughts at the moment are that Vienna and Munich are huge cities that would take more than a couple of days to get my head around, but that Salzburg could be a bit schmaltzy. Any thoughts appreciated. Trying to plan early before prices potentially explode. 

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not a big sightseer, prefer just mooching about cafes and bars, with the odd museum in between. 

I think you'd really enjoy Vienna. It's centre is compact with a great transport system. Loads of excellent cafes and bars and some grand buildings to see as you move from cafe to bar.

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I think you'd really enjoy Vienna. It's centre is compact with a great transport system. Loads of excellent cafes and bars and some grand buildings to see as you move from cafe to bar.

Cheers, might drop Salzburg then. 

Munich isn't as big as you'd think, it's very compact in the old parts of the city and the trams make it very easy to get around. We spent 3 days / 4 nights in it last summer and it was more than enough, we managed to visit the main bier halles and gartens, the sightseeing tour and a trip to dachau in that time.

Cheers, think I'll do three nights each in Vienna and Munich unless someone has something special to say about Salzburg. Was thinking about fitting in Salzburg by commuting to the game in Munich but don't think I'll bother. Maybe an afternoon changing trains.

Edited by welshbairn

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any experience of using the trains in Austria (particularly cross border ones)?  Going to Vienna next week and looking to take a day trip to Bratislava and hopefully Maribor.

Edited by Highland Capital

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Does anyone have any experience of using the trains in Austria (particularly cross border ones)?  Going to Vienna next week and looking to take a day trip to Bratislava and hopefully Maribor.

Went from Bratislava to Vienna and back again 2 days later a fortnight ago, absolutely no problem. I think it was about 25 euros each way for both of us.

Edited by centralTon

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

You could do a day trip on a boat, 75 minutes each way.

https://www.twincityliner.com/en?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6eTtBRDdARIsANZWjYaGFcLjQeKm1VUxDHHlLr8yGNIV-koug0GZE6rfeeaixk9jC7_xp3gaAuIJEALw_wcB

Find the countries train service you are using/starting from and book direct its usually cheaper

This will help https://www.seat61.com/index-mobile.htm

Theres always an "english" language option

Thanks for the replies.  Has anyone used Trainline for tickets on the continent?  I'd book them on the day but the price seems to shoot right up.

16 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Thanks for the replies.  Has anyone used Trainline for tickets on the continent?  I'd book them on the day but the price seems to shoot right up.

https://tickets.oebb.at/en/ticket

That's the Austrian train service official website. Never used it so no idea what it is like price wise.

Vienna is probably my favourite city in the world. The Museum Quarter in particular is just absolutely stunning to walk around. The food and drink are top notch and the people are brand new, despite their reputation. The dialect is fucking horrendous though. Been there 3 times in the last few years and really hope my missus gets sent back there by her work again soon, so I have another excuse to go. The scale of it all defies belief.

Edited by Ross.

9 hours ago, Ross. said:

https://tickets.oebb.at/en/ticket

That's the Austrian train service official website. Never used it so no idea what it is like price wise.

Vienna is probably my favourite city in the world. The Museum Quarter in particular is just absolutely stunning to walk around. The food and drink are top notch and the people are brand new, despite their reputation. The dialect is fucking horrendous though. Been there 3 times in the last few years and really hope my missus gets sent back there by her work again soon, so I have another excuse to go. The scale of it all defies belief.

That's the site I used last night.  Managed to book a return ticket to Maribor for about £30 (never been to Slovenia so that'll be another country chalked off!).  The website is alright but a bit fiddly.  Also, apparently Austrian cross-country trains have restaurants on them!

10 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

That's the site I used last night.  Managed to book a return ticket to Maribor for about £30 (never been to Slovenia so that'll be another country chalked off!).  The website is alright but a bit fiddly.  Also, apparently Austrian cross-country trains have restaurants on them!

The restaurant car is fairly standard across Europe. I wouldn't set expectations too high, but the beer choice tends to be reasonable when compared to the UK.

• 2 years later...