Vienna and Bratislava

Romeo

Bit late with this but flying out to Vienna today then onwards for a couple of days in Bratislava.

Weather is looking excellent and looking forward to the break.

Pretty much going to play it by ear and the only thing I have booked so far is the bus tour of Vienna.

Any other must do stuff ?

41 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Bit late with this but flying out to Vienna today then onwards for a couple of days in Bratislava.

Pretty much going to play it by ear and the only thing I have booked so far is the bus tour of Vienna.

Talk about WWII a lot. They love that, so they do.

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Bratislava Castle, UFO Bridge Tower, Slavin War Memorial (if you have time), St. Michael's Tower, Slovak Pub for food and drink in Bratislava, not been to Vienna.

Bratislava Castle, UFO Bridge Tower, Slavin War Memorial (if you have time), St. Michael's Tower, Slovak Pub for food and drink in Bratislava, not been to Vienna.

If you go to the Slovak Pub and want Pilsner type beer then specifically ask for Zlaty Bazant. If you simply ask for "beer" they will give you wheat beer.

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

If you go to the Slovak Pub and want Pilsner type beer then specifically ask for Zlaty Bazant. If you simply ask for "beer" they will give you wheat beer.

Yes, should've mentioned that. Zlaty Bazant (Golden Pheasant) and dark Zlaty Bazant are widely available in most bars. 

13 minutes ago, Adamski said:

You can get a boat down the Danube from Vienna to Bratislava - takes a couple of hours and a nice way to get between the two cities.

Came on here to recommend this. A great way of doing it.

Vienna is a beautiful city with architectural wonders around every corner. Use the fantastic subway system to get around which in itself is an enjoyable experience and you'll not go far wrong. Train takes just over 1 hour between the Cities is cheap and completely hassle free, although I'd also recommend the Danube ferry as others have said.

Bratislava is quite a small city but very nice, the old town and the walks along the Danube are great and there's always the "Loch Ness Monster" pub if you're feeling homesick, although it should be noted that there's absolutely nothing Scottish about it which is not always a bad thing. Good bands on at night though.

Enjoy !!

Was in Vienna recently, nice city just to walk around, the Wiener Riesenrad was decent, great views of the city. Ottakringer is lovely beer and I'd recommend Wiener schnitzel from Schnitzelwirt, old school Austrian venue. Let down only by the fact that smoking is still allowed indoor. 

On 19/06/2019 at 20:55, Torpar said:

Let down only by the fact that smoking is still allowed indoor. 

That's me booked. I've been thinking about this for a long weekend for a while, is the best skinflint way of doing it to stay in Bratislava and visit Vienna from there? 

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

That's me booked. I've been thinking about this for a long weekend for a while, is the best skinflint way of doing it to stay in Bratislava and visit Vienna from there? 

I would think so, from memory (I took it last in 2008 during the Euros) the train takes just over an hour from Bratislava to Vienna. Just have to walk through a sea of Roma people to get to the train station!

Was in Austria in April as part of my honeymoon (one half of the wife's family came from there) Took the train from Salzburg to Vienna with a stop in the village where my wife's grandmother grew up. Might be the only long train journey where I've been happy just to sit and look out of the window, spectacular scenery. They are a little bit racist, the German they speak sounds weird to me and everyone smokes but Austria is still one of my favourite  countries. 

I had a long weekend in Bratislava and Vienna around 17 or 18 years ago. It was before Slovakia joined the EU and there was a huge difference between the cities despite being so close together. We flew to Vienna and then got the bus to Bratislava and had to pass through a customs checkpoint, which was slightly worrying on the way back as my mate had filled his suitcase with cheap ciggies. 

We stayed in the Hotel Kyjev in Bratislava, right on the edge of the old town. It was nice inside but looked like a commie era housing block from the outside.

I can't remember much about Vienna but there were some nice pubs in the Judengasse area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel Kyjev closed years ago and its derelict building was recently turned into street art:

Image result for hotel kyjev bratislava

In addition to the above, crossing to the south side of the river (either via the UFO bridge or the 'New' Old Bridge downstream) is now a good option on a summer's day after fairly recent improvements. Most of the area is parkland with a city beach and enjoyable bars to sit at, especially on the barge boats moored along the river. Taking the trolleybus and short hike to the top of the Kamzik observation tower and surronding hilltop park, or taking the suburban bus to Devín (well-reconstructed castle; Iron Curtain memorial at the border and blackcurrant wine by the litre), are both excellent half/full-day trips as well.