18-19 west region structure review

GNU_Linux

The 18-19 season saw major changes to both league & cup structures. Interested to find out how people found the 1st season of the structure. Several part question with the following:

How have people found the expanded league structure of 16 teams & 30 games & what impact has it had?

How have clubs lower down (previously playing district level) found playing region wide & what impact has it had on said clubs?

How have people found the new sectional cup format & structure?

As a side note massive props to Kenny Young being a revelation in regards to fixture scheduling & transparency.

I always thought that a 16 team Premiership was too big regarding amount of fixtures as generally it is teams from the top league that go deep in the Scottish and West cups. Last season we had a decent winter, and still had league games in June. So I still think 14 teams in the top league would be better.

I don't like the new sectional cup. I think playing three group games in five days devalues it even in comparison with its predecessors.

I missed the Ayrshire Cup last season. Always thought it was a decent end of season cup which gave teams who developed late (like Meadow last season) something to target at the back end. I know it has the disadvantage of being crammed in between midweek catch up when played late on.

If it were my decision, I would scrap the Sectional and start the league immediately. Also, hold the first two rounds of the West in August (possibly a Wednesday) and September.

I'd start the Ayrshire Cup and it's Central equivalent as straight knockouts end of Feb/Mar and definately schedule the Scottish Final at the beginning of May.

I realise there are dozens of considerations that others will hold more important, but that's my tuppence worth.

And finally, yes Kennie did a top job last season. It's great that he explains and reacts.

48 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

I always thought that a 16 team Premiership was too big regarding amount of fixtures as generally it is teams from the top league that go deep in the Scottish and West cups. Last season we had a decent winter, and still had league games in June. So I still think 14 teams in the top league would be better.

I don't like the new sectional cup. I think playing three group games in five days devalues it even in comparison with its predecessors.

I missed the Ayrshire Cup last season. Always thought it was a decent end of season cup which gave teams who developed late (like Meadow last season) something to target at the back end. I know it has the disadvantage of being crammed in between midweek catch up when played late on.

If it were my decision, I would scrap the Sectional and start the league immediately. Also, hold the first two rounds of the West in August (possibly a Wednesday) and September.

I'd start the Ayrshire Cup and it's Central equivalent as straight knockouts end of Feb/Mar and definately schedule the Scottish Final at the beginning of May.

I realise there are dozens of considerations that others will hold more important, but that's my tuppence worth.

And finally, yes Kennie did a top job last season. It's great that he explains and reacts.

If you had a structure like you suggest it would make it a lot easier and have set days for cup ties. Thats the difference I saw in eosfl last season it was all in the planning that saw us finish the season in may 

Thought there was a big improvement last season, along with no Evening Times Cup pressuring the end of season finish as well.

I didn't like the new sectional cup, 3 games in 5 days show the lacks of importance and most clubs end up treating it in kind. I'd either makes the groups bigger or just make it straight knock out.

Didn't miss the Ayrshire Cup at the end of the season either.

Extended league and more teams gave things a bit more breathing space so that was good.

Thanks Kennie for all your contribution.

The issue with 14 is there wouldn't be uniformity across all the tiers (yes I'm aware the lowest tier is 15 teams but its close to uniformity as possible). 4 divisions of 14 is 56. Even doing 2 divisions of 16 & 2 of 14 comes to 60.

2 hours ago, Lokloyal said:

...With  8 league games left we had nothing to play for....

Hence why I was baffled about the Central League Cup being binned in preference for the Sectional. That just made no sense to me at all. The Central League Cup gave some teams motivation of silverware towards the end of the season when their league season had petered out a bit.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

Hence why I was baffled about the Central League Cup being binned in preference for the Sectional. That just made no sense to me at all. The Central League Cup gave some teams motivation of silverware towards the end of the season when their league season had petered out a bit.

The Central and Ayrshire could easily have been retained as  lower-league only competitions which would give teams other than the usual suspects something to shoot for.

Agreed the Sectional was the one to bin - it's had its day, and even with rejigged groups hasn't really captured anyone's imagination...it's just even clearer it's no more than an extended preseason.

The issue with 14 is there wouldn't be uniformity across all the tiers (yes I'm aware the lowest tier is 15 teams but its close to uniformity as possible). 4 divisions of 14 is 56. Even doing 2 divisions of 16 & 2 of 14 comes to 60.
14-16-16-17 would be my choice. Don't see why we need uniformity. Late season district cups rather than sectional and there's probably room for a lower league cup too.

3 hours ago, ex-german exile said:
21 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

14-16-16-17 would be my choice. Don't see why we need uniformity. Late season district cups rather than sectional and there's probably room for a lower league cup too.

Rather than having 4 straight leagues if had 14 team Premiership and 14/ 16 team championship then regionalise  at the bottom again not help that would leave 33 -35 clubs. South west and East rather than the old central and Ayrshire lines

Edited by AlanCamelonfan

Don’t even know if its viable, but a cup that only includes the bottom two divisions would be good. Gives them a chance of winning something

9 minutes ago, Terry Tibbs said:

Don’t even know if its viable, but a cup that only includes the bottom two divisions would be good. Gives them a chance of winning something

North Region had a Cup for the second tier for years. Think it was called the Morrison Trophy. Not sure if it is still on the go.

8 minutes ago, Strathman said:

North Region had a Cup for the second tier for years. Think it was called the Morrison Trophy. Not sure if it is still on the go.

Morrison Cup is the equivalent of the Elginshire Cup for lower division teams in the east of the region.

Edited by Cyclizine

On 19 June 2019 at 07:56, ex-german exile said:

Why not let the top clubs enter the cups at a later stage then. Talbot could start at the semi finals. Maybe a top of 6 teams playing home and away. Problem solved.

7 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Rather than having 4 straight leagues if had 14 team Premiership and 14/ 16 team championship then regionalise  at the bottom again not help that would leave 33 -35 clubs. South west and East rather than the old central and Ayrshire lines

Is you're team even in the Juniors?

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So if it changes to a 14 team league wouldnt that rule out the west joining the pyramid if the sfa want 16 team leagues. Hope they dont change the structure.

I'm not so sure they'd rule against it not being a 16 team league i think a one league is what they are looking for though