France v Nigeria, Norway v South Korea

GordonS

10 hours ago, Kejan said:

How does it work? I thought I heard if we were through we were 95% playing Germany on Saturday?

@Spectre's explanation is good. For a bit more detail, there are 15 possible combinations of four third-placed teams getting through. Ten of them involve a team from our group. In three of the ten we'd play winner of group A (France) in Le Havre; in the other seven we play the winner of group B (Germany) in Grenoble.

The permutations that put us in Le Havre involve us going through with the third-placed teams from A,B & E; A, B & F; or A, E & F.

So any scenario that sees the third-placed team in Group C going out, or Group A going through, puts us in Grenoble. Given that third in Group C will probably be Brazil, it's very hard to see that not happening. If we go through it's most likely that two of A, E and F will miss out, and all of those put us in Grenoble.

Maybe easier to see the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_FIFA_Women's_World_Cup#Ranking_of_third-placed_teams 

Edited by GordonS

15 hours ago, GordonS said:

The permutations that put us in Le Havre involve us going through with the third-placed teams from A,B & E; A, B & F; or A, E & F.

So any scenario that sees the third-placed team in Group C going out, or Group A going through, puts us in Grenoble. 

Surely in that case it's Le Harve? I didn't think France could play Nigeria again in round 2 so they would get Germany instead?

8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Surely in that case it's Le Harve? I didn't think France could play Nigeria again in round 2 so they would get Germany instead?

If Nigeria get through they'll play the winner of C (Italy) in Montpellier if someone goes through from our group too, or winner of B (Germany) in Grenoble if they don't.

France will play 3rd in Group C (Brazil) unless the qualifiers come from B, C, E & F, in which case they'll play third in Group E (Cameroon/ NZ).

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

If Nigeria get through they'll play the winner of C (Italy) in Montpellier if someone goes through from our group too, or winner of B (Germany) in Grenoble if they don't.

France will play 3rd in Group C (Brazil) unless the qualifiers come from B, C, E & F, in which case they'll play third in Group E (Cameroon/ NZ).

I see the matrix on Wikipedia now and it kind of makes sense.

So only Germany possible for us if we make it...