France v Nigeria, Norway v South Korea

GordonS

This is all my fault. Just before kick off I bought tickets for the last 16 game in Grenoble, after refreshing the FIFA ticket site every 5 minutes for three days. Category bloody 1 as well. If this ends up a draw (or worse), even if we get through we could be in Le Havre.

Jinxed it.

26 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This is all my fault. Just before kick off I bought tickets for the last 16 game in Grenoble, after refreshing the FIFA ticket site every 5 minutes for three days. Category bloody 1 as well. If this ends up a draw (or worse), even if we get through we could be in Le Havre.

Jinxed it.

How does it work? I thought I heard if we were through we were 95% playing Germany on Saturday?

Would love to see this tournament be the death of VAR, but the big teams and the big countries will want to keep it. It works in their favour.

PS: Everyone agree to shut the f*ck up about referees in the Premiership next season, aye?

Edited by Mr Heliums

How does it work? I thought I heard if we were through we were 95% playing Germany on Saturday?

To clarify (according to Wikipedia) who the third place teams play depends on the 4 groups in which the teams qualify from. The remaining possible combinations which would require us to play in Le Havre vs France all involve the group C third place not qualifying, which for various reasons is really unlikely. Essentially Italy would have to hammer Brazil, in a game they just need to draw (or could even lose) and finish top.

Hopefully that makes sense

BBC Commentators with fingers crossed hoping Nigeria would score there at the end. Even calling for the GK to come up for the FK. I’m sure they wouldn’t be saying that if it was to knock their fuckn Lionesses oot.

Her back foot must have been about 2 inches in front of the line. An utter nonsense, but we'll take it.

Does VAR not also check the attacking players entering the box as the penalty is struck or is that deemed a lesser offence?

Does VAR not also check the attacking players entering the box as the penalty is struck or is that deemed a lesser offence?
Depends whether they're African or not.

That was really grim, if that happened to us... it would be typical, really. We'd be going batshit crazy. Weird being the beneficiary though.

We watched the second half in the bar on the campsite here, we were getting funny looks from the French as we were more into the game than they were. They'd have been fine with a draw.

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Her back foot must have been about 2 inches in front of the line. An utter nonsense, but we'll take it.

Prior to the law change the GK was supposed to have both feet on the line, but that was rarely enforced which is one of the reasons why they changed it to only one foot on the line - don't have a problem with that, easier for refs to spot two feet off (especially with VAR to enforce it). 

10 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

Only seen a side-on view of the first penalty which shows both teams are encroaching - therefore it's a retake. The GK infringing is the more serious offence though. http://www.theifab.com/laws/chapter/34/section/119/

There's a table of various scenarios as well: http://www.theifab.com/laws/chapter/34/section/119/