What if the Premiership clubs could only use players they developed?

On 17/06/2019 at 10:31, gannonball said:

Marshall

O’Donnell Findlay Ajer* Tierney

Forrest Mcgregor Henderson Mulgrew Mcgeady

Watt**

*Joined us when 17

** Joined us when 17 from a semi-professional club

-edited because I decided to pick only 10 players and somehow chose Dembele ahead of Forrest.

In fairness there is a shite load of players whether you can count them or not.
Darren O'dea
Paul McGowan
Marcus Fraser
Paul Caddis
Mark Burchill
Liam Miller 
Shaun Maloney

24 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

In fairness there is a shite load of players whether you can count them or not.
Darren O'dea
Paul McGowan
Marcus Fraser
Paul Caddis
Mark Burchill
Liam Miller 
Shaun Maloney

Aye I was using players still currently playing and of us. Still think overall we get a good return for our academy. The transfer fees we have got and could get makes it a great asset.

7 hours ago, Neil86 said:

If you have got Stephen Dobbie at Hibs surely James Mcfadden in the Motherwell squad? similar era's

also, Steven Hammell as well, surely has to be in there.

the main idea was to use players who are still playing and on current ability . Dobbie Scored 43 goals last season, McFadden is miles away from his best days + retired

Edited by steviemay17

2 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Livingston should be forced to issue an apology for Andy Halliday.

Our apology was Gallagher riling him up when we pumped them, you're welcome :D Halliday is a wee p***k anyway, absolutely made an arse of himself that day. 

16 hours ago, Neil86 said:

according to wikipedia (which isn't gospel of course) he joined motherwell at a young age, even still I don't think i have ever heard of him reffered to as a hearts youngster?

GMS at ross county is a mile out as well imo.

GMS signed for County in early teens and left to join Liverpool at 17.

Edited by cmontheloknow

It shows where County are as a club when they won the Youth League a couple of years ago and about 1 of that squad has played for the first team.  They're no interest in playing youth.  

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It shows where County are as a club when they won the Youth League a couple of years ago and about 1 of that squad has played for the first team.  They're no interest in playing youth.  

there's about three from County's youth team that I think will come good for us out of that team. DKD being one of them. A lot of guys don't seem to be able to make the step up despite how good they are at youth level, and that's at all clubs not just County.

Not sure if Grivosti was with us that season or not but he's a baller and won't be here for long before getting interest down south.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Bla bla bla lies lies lies, as if an ict coming onto a top division forum would portray an accurate perception of Ross County. 

Davies Kellor-Dunn, Ross Munro, James Wallace, Mark Gallacher and Tom Grivosti all had rolls to play in our league and cup success last season. Yeah we'd all like everyone who comes through the youth team to step into the first XI but we tried with Tumilty, the two Dingwall's, Morrison and Dykes but they couldn't quite make the step up but we'll keep trying.

2 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

there's about three from County's youth team that I think will come good for us out of that team. DKD being one of them. A lot of guys don't seem to be able to make the step up despite how good they are at youth level, and that's at all clubs not just County.

Not sure if Grivosti was with us that season or not but he's a baller and won't be here for long before getting interest down south.

How can any players who won the Youth League not be good enough for Ross County's first team?  I guess it was McGregor panicking that you wouldn't get back the Premership at the first attempt so went down the Premiership quality in the Championship route?

Also the Grivosti argument is hypothetical.  He could be fond out big time in the Premiership, or he could be excellent.  

Well there is a difference in level between first team football and youth league football.

There's still time for a few of them to come through right enough, but it's no secret Roy wanted us to spend as little time in the championship as possible.

1 minute ago, frankthetank22 said:

Bla bla bla lies lies lies, as if an ict coming onto a top division forum would portray an accurate perception of Ross County. 

Davies Kellor-Dunn, Ross Munro, James Wallace, Mark Gallacher and Tom Grivosti all had rolls to play in our league and cup success last season. Yeah we'd all like everyone who comes through the youth team to step into the first XI but we tried with Tumilty, the two Dingwall's, Morrison and Dykes but they couldn't quite make the step up but we'll keep trying.

DKD played for Falkirk for the second half of last season so had nothing to do with County doing the lower league double.  You're only getting Grivosti from the other names you mention as Munro, Wallace and Gallacher barely played, if at all.

I'm not sure why you lot get so uptight about this kind of stuff.  Ross County don't produce young talent like other clubs do.  Their focus must be elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm not sure why you lot get so uptight about this kind of stuff.  Ross County don't produce young talent like other clubs do.  Their focus must be elsewhere.

Strange what motivates people isn’t it?  Some get defensive about their club, others get obsessed by rival teams. All the varied tapestry of life I guess.

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Ross County don't produce young talent like other clubs do.  Their focus must be elsewhere.

What they seem to do well as a club is pick players up for relatively low fee's or no fee at all, and sell on for a profit. Jason Naismith, Liam Boyce, Jackson Irvine and the lad Lindsay seems to be the next one.

I'm not sure it is a massive surprise that a small number of their Youth League winning side have made the step up, there is an enormous jump from that level to first team football. Considering the management duo they have at the moment oversaw that title winning team, I am sure they know who has the capability to play in first team affairs. 

To label it a problem just with Ross County is ridiculous, it's a problem Scottish clubs have had for years. 

1 minute ago, LondonHMFC said:

What they seem to do well as a club is pick players up for relatively low fee's or no fee at all, and sell on for a profit. Jason Naismith, Liam Boyce, Jackson Irvine and the lad Lindsay seems to be the next one.

I'm not sure it is a massive surprise that a small number of their Youth League winning side have made the step up, there is an enormous jump from that level to first team football. Considering the management duo they have at the moment oversaw that title winning team, I am sure they know who has the capability to play in first team affairs. 

To label it a problem just with Ross County is ridiculous, it's a problem Scottish clubs have had for years. 

I'm sure with most fans, we'd rather see a young player get a chance than see an average journeyman player get 15 games and put in unremarkable performances. Unfortunately the majority of managers in the top league don't seem to see it this way.

2 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

Davies Kellor-Dunn, Ross Munro, James Wallace, Mark Gallacher and Tom Grivosti all had rolls to play in our league and cup success last season. 

No wonder they won against that kind of opposition.

4 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

None of those players you mention are County youth products.  The whole reason for this thread.

With the infrastructure they have in place they produce next to zero players of any note  Considering the advertisement and propaganda in telling everyone how good *their football academy is.

*It's not just theirs.  It just happens to be built behind to the stadium.

57 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

None of those players you mention are County youth products.  The whole reason for this thread.

With the infrastructure they have in place they produce next to zero players of any note  Considering the advertisement and propaganda in telling everyone how good *their football academy is.

Rarely do sides have a conveyor belt of talent coming through on a yearly basis. It just doesn’t happen. The likes of Ridgers / GMS / Alex Cooper / Cowie all went through their academy, in the space of a couple years. Three of them moving for a transfer fee to bigger clubs. 

I must admit to not seeing any of this propaganda in relation to the youth academy, but if they are trying to sell the club to potential signings or staff members, they aren’t going to downplay the facilities they have. 

I suppose the difficulty for both Highland clubs is a smaller catchment area, Caley have done well in recent years with Christie / Shinnie / Ross.

To go back to your original point I quoted where you mentioned that their focus must be elsewhere, without doubt, and it’s a sensible approach for a club of their size. 

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Considering the advertisement and propaganda in telling everyone how good *their football academy is.

What advertisement and propaganda are you referring to?

Also the placement of the academy outside Ross County's stadium didn't "just happen" County got on board and supported the venture from the very outset.  If ict had shown an interest and even come up with any cash when the academy was being planned/developed they might have had it built outside their stadium.