Alex Jack Cup 2019-20

51 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Finished 4-2. Oakley played last 10 or so a man down after a straight red for no 3.

Have to say I thought the straight red was very harsh! Initially I thought our boy Declan was going to get a yellow, though it was just a strong challenge by both! 

Musselburgh Athletic 4-2 Oakley United

Barnstorming final.

There were so many chances and incidents in this game I'll leave it to others to document and describe them. Safe to say Oakley were very much at the races 1st half, and deserved their lead, scored from a corner which resulted from the rebound of a saved penalty being cleared after coming back off the post (phew). Both sides missed several gilt-edged chances. Credit to Musselburgh's management - or whoever put something their HT tea - as they were a different team 2nd half, instantly equalising, promptly going ahead, then streaking away.

I was glad Oakley got a late consolation as losing by 3+ would've been harsh. Indeed at 4-2 they had a chance which had it gone in would've made a grandstand finish even with 10-men.

Attendance of 600-650 by my guesstimate although that would include officials, committee etc.

It was announced the South & East Cup-Winners' Shield for a place in next season's Scottish Cup is at Blackburn on Sunday 26th January. Good luck to Musselburgh v Mid Annandale.

Apologies for my cloth ears and understating the crowd announcement.

When the announcement was made, my Dad was telling me a very funny old story about his pal dropping a tray replete with pies and bovrils all over himself in the corner at Newtongrange which is now forever called The Graham Bradley Corner to all who witnessed it.

50 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Have to say I thought the straight red was very harsh! Initially I thought our boy Declan was going to get a yellow, though it was just a strong challenge by both! 

Aye we weren’t far away from it and our group of 5 or 6 thought it was harsh.

Well done to Musselburgh.Disappointing for Oakley,given their excellent first half performance,but after a tremendous second half showing from 'Burgh,they deservedly lifted the trophy.Hopefully Oakley can carry their recent good form onto league business and continue to climb the table.

Excellent hospitality in The Dean pre match and thanks to all at Nitten for hosting a brilliant occasion,especially the person who pulled out number 311 in the half time raffle👍

1 hour ago, JBAFC said:

Does anyone have the Oakley team and scorers?

Robertson, Gruar, McAdam, Kelly, Ironsides, Gunn, Martin, Halpin, Love, Alan, Love was the starting line up.

Craig Martin got first goal of match in 25 minutes

Dylam McGowan got last goal of match in 81 minutes.

• 2 months later...
On 15/06/2019 at 12:41, HibeeJibee said:

With no fewer than 16 clubs in the Scottish Cup, and Haddington banned, my reckoning is there are a reduced entry of 22 sides in this season's competition.

Bo'ness, Crossgates, Dunbar, Musselburgh, Newtongrange, Sauchie, Tranent

Craigroyston, Dunipace, Heriot-Watt Uni, Kinnoull, Leith, Oakley, Ormiston, Peebles, St Andrews?
Arniston, Dalkeith, Edinburgh Utd, Glenrothes, Inverkeithing, Tweedmouth

Just looking at who is likely to be in this competition next season, assuming as well that Camelon and Haddington get a licence. Still looks like the Alba Cup winner will lose in the final unless a First Division club qualifies.

Would be a good time for any East Region club to move over to have a crack at a Scottish Cup place...

9 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Several of those in bold are also going for licences, IIRC.

It will as expected to return being an opportunity for 'smaller clubs' to win a trophy: but of course with the added carrot of a shot at the Scottish Cup.

St Andrews, Dalkeith, Newtongrange, and Dunbar are the ones publicly going for licencing right now. We'll see if they can get it done in time. Think St Andrews are still trying to fund floodlights. Dalkeith last year had other concerns to work on, I believe to do with their pavillion? Not sure about Nitten and Dunbar I think only applied this year.