Alex Jack Cup 2019-20

21 minutes ago, RobM said:

Good wee game today, Musselburgh man and I reckon we thoroughly deserved it but I'd have been disappointed leaving the game as an Edinburgh United fan.  On to the final where I'd imagine Oakley fancy themselves as well, should be a good one,

Good luck in the final, but to say thoroughly deserved it is a little overstated. You were lucky not to be three down, and if you were there wouldn't have been any way back from that.

3 hours ago, Baldie2k19 said:

Good luck in the final, but to say thoroughly deserved it is a little overstated. You were lucky not to be three down, and if you were there wouldn't have been any way back from that.

Edinburgh boys at the game seemed to know they weren't safe bud, all Musselburgh second half.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Location wise, good for Musselburgh but not so hot for Oakley.

Someone made that point on twitter  as well but I suppose there's a limited amount of grounds which meet what I assume are the requirements - floodlights (to avoid an earlier start), grass instead of 3G, no match the previous day, enough cover and capacity, etc.

Modern facility with among the best grass surfaces in non-league football, tbf.

I'm unsure what and how factors would weigh in the decision, but there were probably fewer possibilities in Edinburgh, West or Midlothian than you'd think... Given the time of year and likely crowd you'd want lights and a good amount of cover which rules out many places right away. Bonnyrigg, Linlithgow and Whitehill are at home which would rule them out in case the park cut up. Tynecastle are away which means Boroughmuir will be home in rugby. Broxburn and Penicuik have away ties in the Scottish Cup the day before so might not want to organise a cup final the following afternoon.

You're probably left with Newtongrange and Spartans (assuming they haven't any women or youth games on). Blackburn, Dalkeith and Easthouses haven't much cover and latter 2 aren't any different location-wise.

45 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Someone made that point on twitter  as well but I suppose there's a limited amount of grounds which meet what I assume are the requirements - floodlights (to avoid an earlier start), grass instead of 3G, no match the previous day, enough cover and capacity, etc.

Plenty finals have been played on 3G before... there have been several at Gala, Falkirk and Spartans last decade plus Heriot-Watt, Broxburn and Blackburn more recently... although some would probably always prefer 'natural surfaces'.

Edited by HibeeJibee

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I've no idea what thinking would go into this decision, but there were probably fewer possibilities in Edinburgh, West or Midlothian than you'd think... Given the time of year and likely crowd you'd want lights and a good amount of cover which rules out many places right away. Bonnyrigg, Linlithgow and Whitehill are at home which would rule them out in case the park cut up. Tynecastle are away which means Boroughmuir will be home in rugby. Broxburn and Penicuik have away ties in the Scottish Cup the day before so might not want to organise a cup final the following afternoon.

You're probably left with Newtongrange and Spartans (assuming they haven't any women or youth games on). Blackburn, Dalkeith and Easthouses haven't much cover and latter 2 aren't any different location-wise.

Plenty finals have been played on 3G before... there have been several at Gala, Falkirk and Spartans last decade plus Heriot-Watt, Broxburn and Blackburn more recently... although some would probably always prefer 'natural surfaces'.

Certainly not knocking it from my/team’s point of view and would always take natural surface to 3G! Also understand as a date had been picked, there is limited options available. Just making point the Burgh are far more fortunate with venue than Oakley. Hopefully with match on a Sunday, there will be a sizeable crowd! 

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm unsure what and how factors would weigh in the decision, but there were probably fewer possibilities in Edinburgh, West or Midlothian than you'd think... Given the time of year and likely crowd you'd want lights and a good amount of cover which rules out many places right away. Bonnyrigg, Linlithgow and Whitehill are at home which would rule them out in case the park cut up. Tynecastle are away which means Boroughmuir will be home in rugby. Broxburn and Penicuik have away ties in the Scottish Cup the day before so might not want to organise a cup final the following afternoon.

Lack of cover doesn't bother them our south shield game was at Lockerbie bo cover at all

51 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Lack of cover doesn't bother them our south shield game was at Lockerbie bo cover at all

South & East Shield is organised differently tbf. When down there South choose venue.

In last 30yrs there have been 37 different EOS finals held outside springtime... 28 Alex Jack, 5 League, 4 EOS Qualifying... and only 4 or 5 didn't have cover.

Only 1 of these occurred in last 15yrs (and it was mid-October).

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 18:07, HibeeJibee said:

Incidentally the Final of the corresponding Southern Alternate 'Alba' Cup... Abbey Vale v Mid Annandale... is not being played this weekend but in Annan on Friday 15th November.

I heard the South & East of Scotland Cup-Winners' Shield will be played on Sunday 26th January at a venue in the Lothians area.

Abbey Vale 2-4 Mid Annandale last night.

Mids stand between Musselburgh or Oakley and Scottish Cup 2020-21.

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Oakley bringing 4 buses to Newtongrange.

'Burgh big turnout expected?

Burgh taking two buses, but given the short drive to Nitten, I’m sure there will be lots of others taking local transport or their own cars to the ground. 

Saw the number of Oakley buses mentioned on Twitter, and though it doesn’t say the capacity each bus takes, it’s great that a lot of Oakley fans are coming over from Fife. 

Really looking forward to this,days like this don't come around too often.Heading over by train early doors to take in the "cup final fever"🍺😀.

Musselburgh start as favourites,and rightly so after last week's excellent result against Camelon, but underestimate Oakley at your peril,they've put a fantastic set of results together over the last couple of months and are quietly confident of lifting the trophy,which will be the first silverware since the East Region Central Division triumph in 2011.

9 minutes ago, Tappy the Toon said:

Really looking forward to this,days like this don't come around too often.Heading over by train early doors to take in the "cup final fever"🍺😀.

Musselburgh start as favourites,and rightly so after last week's excellent result against Camelon, but underestimate Oakley at your peril,they've put a fantastic set of results together over the last couple of months and are quietly confident of lifting the trophy,which will be the first silverware since the East Region Central Division triumph in 2011.

Dean Tavern en route to the ground decent enough. One of last "Goth" type bars in Scotland. Pub does a lot for the Nitten community.