Broadband Issues?

Upgraded to fibre unlimited and was getting 3MB. Used the Sky help app and it showed a fault with the wiring. Sky engineer came out and tested the line, reckoned the issue was external. A BT engineer was sent out told me no issue with line. Issue was with not running the router from my master socket.

Long story short, every fibre customer needs a new(ish) master socket and if you run your router from another socket this will bounce the signal around the house and cause interference and your line will drop out as it thinks there’s an issue. If sky or a provider run a test they think there’s an issue because it needs to reset and this takes a while or can be instantly done by BT, in my case.

So if you’re having issues connect your router up to master socket and leave it overnight then run a speed test. Worth a shot and could save expense.

:)

Edited by D.A.F.C

37 minutes ago, Dr Watson said:

Excuse my ignorance. What do you mean by a master socket?

The first socket that the outside line is connected to. Not always easy to tell but usually in a hallway or first room from the front door. So if you have an old house you should really upgrade it. Sky and others basically just want your money though and employ chancers as engineers.

Edited by D.A.F.C

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The first socket that the outside line is connected to. Not always easy to tell but usually in a hallway or first room from the front door. So if you have an old house you should really upgrade it. Sky and others basically just want your money though and employ chancers as engineers.

Cheers, I thought that's what you meant. I had a similar fault in my Virgin line. Turned out I had water in the line between the ground and the house, took them an age to work it out.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Would definitely agree with that. Had an issue receiving Setanta Sports with the picture continually dropping out, so they sent an engineer to fix it.

His solution?

He gave the dish a whack with a broom. Arse.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Upgraded to fibre unlimited and was getting 3MB. Used the Sky help app and it showed a fault with the wiring. Sky engineer came out and tested the line, reckoned the issue was external. A BT engineer was sent out told me no issue with line. Issue was with not running the router from my master socket.

Long story short, every fibre customer needs a new(ish) master socket and if you run your router from another socket this will bounce the signal around the house and cause interference and your line will drop out as it thinks there’s an issue. If sky or a provider run a test they think there’s an issue because it needs to reset and this takes a while or can be instantly done by BT, in my case.

So if you’re having issues connect your router up to master socket and leave it overnight then run a speed test. Worth a shot and could save expense.

:)

Good advice but thats been the case since dial up died

• 2 weeks later...
Would definitely agree with that. Had an issue receiving Setanta Sports with the picture continually dropping out, so they sent an engineer to fix it.

His solution?

He gave the dish a whack with a broom. Arse.
Sounds like the training has improved.