Lowland League football, what is the future?

Pyramidic

I'll be honest, the juniors can sort their own mess out now for me. The level of contempt and self preservation linked to ever having a wosfl is becoming tedious. To then give the wrsjfa an option to have a LL2 west to further their aims fills me with the fear. Keep what we have and introduce more promotion and relegation spots before thinking about adding additional infrastructure to see if what we have works..... Let the juniors crack on, they aren't interested by the looks of it, for those that do want to join help them setup a wosfl.

23 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

I'll be honest, the juniors can sort their own mess out now for me. The level of contempt and self preservation linked to ever having a wosfl is becoming tedious. To then give the wrsjfa an option to have a LL2 west to further their aims fills me with the fear. Keep what we have and introduce more promotion and relegation spots before thinking about adding additional infrastructure to see if what we have works..... Let the juniors crack on, they aren't interested by the looks of it, for those that do want to join help them setup a wosfl.

Since the SJFA seems to be more of the same. The PWG probably won't start up again until September. The best indicator of things will be Clydebank's AGM on 25th July. At least there you know questions are going to be asked.

My biggest gripe with the LL at the moment is the hour-glass nature of promotion and relegation.  It may take the best part of 10 years before all clubs in the current pyramid find their level, by which time some of the current group of ambitious clubs may have missed the boat in getting access to increased revenue and may regress as a result. 

Short of restructuring the SPFL, the quickest way to get the pyramid working as a pyramid, rather than a tower, is to introduce a third league at tier 5. A LLE and a LLW would provide scope for both the ambitious East and West clubs to progress now, rather than wait an unspecified number of years for their turn to progress as champions of the EOS, WOS or SOS leagues. It also addresses the "population imbalance" between the areas covered by the HL and LL.

Obviously there would be challenges, but I'd rather those were addressed as tweaks to a bold big-bang change, rather than reasons for not embarking on change in the first place.

The non-SPFL leagues need to find a way to get the likes of Auchinleck, Hurlford, Beith, Pollok, Largs etc. into the pyramid assuming those clubs wish to break their existing glass ceiling.  The creation of a LLW would offer that opportunity for at least the top half dozen clubs both in the West Juniors and the East Premier to progress in the first year. Such a move would strengthen rather than dilute Tier 5.  Licensing is an issue, but as long as those clubs entering Tier 5 are given a derogation for a couple of years, then it can be done.  

Edited by Footballfirst

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

My biggest gripe with the LL at the moment is the hour-glass nature of promotion and relegation.  It may take the best part of 10 years before all clubs in the current pyramid find their level, by which time some of the current group of ambitious clubs may have missed the boat in getting access to increased revenue and may regress as a result. 

Short of restructuring the SPFL, the quickest way to get the pyramid working as a pyramid, rather than a tower, is to introduce a third league at tier 5. A LLE and a LLW would provide scope for both the ambitious East and West clubs to progress now, rather than wait an unspecified number of years for their turn to progress as champions of the EOS, WOS or SOS leagues. It also addresses the "population imbalance" between the areas covered by the HL and LL.

Obviously there would be challenges, but I'd rather those were addressed as tweaks to a bold big-bang change, rather than reasons for not embarking on change in the first place.

The non-SPFL leagues need to find a way to get the likes of Auchinleck, Hurlford, Beith, Pollok, Largs etc. into the pyramid assuming those clubs wish to break their existing glass ceiling.  The creation of a LLW would offer that opportunity for at least the top half dozen clubs both in the West Juniors and the East Premier to progress in the first year. Such a move would strengthen rather than dilute Tier 5.  Licensing is an issue, but as long as those clubs entering Tier 5 are given a derogation for a couple of years, then it can be done.  

The practical issues with this have been done to death on here over the years. Yes, three regions makes some sense. However, they will never be at Tier 5 in the foreseeable future. It was a significant compromise for the SPFL to agree to two regional feeders. They wanted a nationwide one. The more realistic option is for the West to come in at Tier 6, either as a new league or an expanded South of Scotland League.

Adding another tier or league to a current tier doesn't make anything move any quicker though. Simply increasing the LL relegation spots will see if things work in their current format. Only then will the spfl increase their own promotion spots. There is currently no requirement for a LL West. A wosfl at tier 6 yes, but not a LL West.

The pandering should stop to the juniors now,if they want in,its tier 6 in the west and north.

In the east join the existing EoS senior league and if your north of the Tay it's a new tier 6 league below the SHFL.

This LL west crap is more pandering to the west juniors.

1 hour ago, Kelheart said:

Can’t here many west junior teams banging the door to get in at any level , think they like what they have so let them crack on imo and go forward with teams that are in already 

Yup offer to set up a WOS league, no SJFA involvement do the same for North region.  Any licence holders wishing to not join lose their licence and Scottish cup access is granted to SJFA and SAFA cup winner only.  SJFA and SAFA teams then have a route to join if they wish, the rest can do whatever they like.  No need to pander to the SJFA or SAFA.  

1 hour ago, Kelheart said:

Can’t here many west junior teams banging the door to get in at any level , think they like what they have so let them crack on imo and go forward with teams that are in already 

Kilwinning had there AGM, they are gearing up for a license by what has been posted by wow-wee

Genuinely glad to hear the dust seems to have settled after ground move and the meeting well attended so hopefully all is well over there again.

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Kilwinning had there AGM, they are gearing up for a license by what has been posted by wow-wee

Genuinely glad to hear the dust seems to have settled after ground move and the meeting well attended so hopefully all is well over there again.

I notice he also says they're relying on the SJFA to get the WRJFA in the pyramid.  Amazes me the patience the West teams have for the SJFA there's glaciers that move faster than the SJFA 

I notice he also says they're relying on the SJFA to get the WRJFA in the pyramid.  Amazes me the patience the West teams have for the SJFA there's glaciers that move faster than the SJFA 
The SJFA should not be involved in the Pyramid in any shape or form.

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:
13 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

The SJFA should not be involved in the Pyramid in any shape or form.

Agreed there should be one association, madness to have two at tier 6 one of which has been actively against the pyramid until a year ago.    

23 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

I think it’ll get things rolling at least, they’ve put a lot of money into the plan. If the SJFA don’t move soon, they will (hopefully) take matters into their own hands and get groundwork for a WoS league  underway. At least it positive vibes though 

2 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Until the sfa remove their carrot of “cake and eat it” with getting the cash from the Scottish cup and two attempts to get their in the league and junior cup then they have no incentive to change anything. It’s about time the sjfa was treated the same as the safa and only the junior cup winners get access to the tournament.