XR extinction rebellion

Assasinach

25 minutes ago, Lee Van Tee said:

No, it's typical of the kind of thing that happens when streets are closed off.

Someone apparently was trying to see their dying father a few weeks ago and the protests meant that by the time he got to the hospital his dad had died. I'm guessing he won't be joining with XR any time soon.

Probably wouldn't have bothered the professional protestors. 

There is no doubt that there is ongoing climate change but one area to bear in mind is that not that many years ago all of our large cities were afflicted by smog in winter where the cities came to  a standstill and thousands died due to the pollution caused by fossil fuel burning in homes and factories, change cannot be made overnight but it does happen as we see now in our cities during winter.

Right so by this logic does rape not matter? FFS.

This has took an unexpected turn [emoji23]. It doesn't matter in so far as the human race can't stop the earth's climate changing. Wasn't that long ago you could walk to France and and at points in history the sea level as has been far higher.

Humans are ants when it comes to Earth and it's ever changing co2 levels, average temperatures, sea levels. All things that have went up and down long before man evolved. Yes, we are adding to CO2 and yes it's speeding up the process of warming process but a few hundred years is f**k all in the history of the Earth.

Yes we can stop crazy things like polluting our oceans but with an ever increasing human population, pollution, deforestation and all the other by products of the human race being too successful will only get worse. I'm sure nature will rewrite the balance at some point and there will be nothing we can do about it.

3 hours ago, AUFC90 said:

It doesn't matter in so far as the human race can't stop the earth's climate changing.

For the first and possibly only time in Earth's history, we probably can. The ability to control our output of carbon into the atmosphere is an immensely powerful tool. 

Edited by welshbairn

I watched Ellie Gouldings (UN Environment Global Ambassador) wee speech last night. 

First off I don't hate the woman. She's fairly vanilla in many respects and I find her unoffensive although I don't think I'm her target market with her music. But what bothered me about her speech was that it continued this process of generational divide. Goulding said it was my generations fault that millennials are hypocrites. It's my generations fault that they use electric toothbrushes, apparently we have backed and reinforced a structure that makes hypocrites of us all. 

So that got me thinking. In my Mothers generation through the hardship of war the world saw an epoch change in technology. Long range rockets were developed as weapons. Flight became far more sophisticated. And humans developed the first ever computers to break an "unbreakable" code to defeat Nazi Germany and to bring the war to an end. 

In my generation we saw computers developed to the point where computers with less processing power than todays average mobile phone was used to send us into space and to put astronauts on the moon. This led to an epoch change in how we viewed the earth, the universe and increased our scientific understanding of how the world works and how we effect change. My generation also developed solar power, wind turbines, wave power, nuclear power, electric cars, and electric trains. We recognised the hole in the ozone layer and took steps to rectify it, and we've seen changes in our fuel to reduce the amount of lead in the atmosphere and to clean up our environment. We saw computers become everyday household items, created mobile phone technology and the internet so that information and news could be shared instantaneously around the world. 

Now it's the turn of the millennial. They use these powerful mobile phones for endless "selfies". The internet encyclopedia is used for social media, memes, and emojis - anything but studying for a solution unless they are looking to plagiarise their homework.. They have tablets, phones, and laptops on charge all the time cause they'd be fucked if they couldn't check out the latest fake news on Twitter, celebrity gossip on Instagram or their profiles on Tinder. They believe the world is fucked but instead of looking for solutions, or reducing their consumption they are in a world of ever increasing excess that they don't plan to stop anytime soon and what they want is for their parents generation to take the blame, to find the solution and to pay for it. And we've got a bunch of crusty hippies from my generation who are happy to indulge and join in with their self loathing.