XR extinction rebellion

Assasinach

4 hours ago, Adam101 said:

I didn't assume that however very few businesses would be seriously financially hit due to a 10 min delay to their journey.

Was it only 10 minutes? That's good. Just as well people started hauling the protestors off the trains then or the police would probably still be there trying to negotiate them down. 

3 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Contrary to the misinformed, the Suffragettes were hated by large sections of the public and were saved in  cases by the polis. Long skirts and bombs and bricking didn't  go down well with Joe Public in 1910.

And as with the Suffragettes people will look back and realise that extinction rebellion where right to protest as they did.

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Was it only 10 minutes? That's good. Just as well people started hauling the protestors off the trains then or the police would probably still be there trying to negotiate them down. 

Yeh it was only 10 mins, the police have dealt with them pretty quickly tbh. There was a longer delay shortly after the protestors were clear of the roof due to 2 assaults at the station.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I'm getting a bit sick of these protestors tbh. They are actually becoming counter productive. Actually they are a bit stupid. Heh yeh, let's stop public transport so everyone ends up driving individual cars

My favourite one is when they blockade roads and stop traffic, meaning masses of cars/trucks/buses sitting at idle.  Wasting fuel and spewing out more emissions.....

8 hours ago, johnnydun said:

XR say they want to look their kids in they eye without any guilt.

Well I want to look my kids in the eye and say on my death bed "I have left you a home and an insurance policy that will set you guys up, that you can then use as an asset to set up your kids."

All thanks to fossil fuels and the oil industry.

Global warming would have happened anyway. 

I hope it does happen,  I can't wait for Scotland to become tropical.  No more jackets, no more falling on my backside in the winter and fishing for tarpon and bone fish off Troon...

If it happens that is.

Would be quite comical to see these protesters lose all their material possessions using proceeds on crime legislation given some of the outlandish claims being made.

Are plastic bullets made from recycled materials.

*This post is not intended to be serious for all you environmentalist.

I go through Canning Town most mornings to work.
Generally behind thought-out meaningful protests but they scored two pretty big own goals that morning:
They targeted electric transportation.
They targeted east London. Lucky to escape with being hauled off the carriage.

1 hour ago, Jeff Venom said:

I go through Canning Town most mornings to work.
Generally behind thought-out meaningful protests but they scored two pretty big own goals that morning:
They targeted electric transportation.
They targeted east London. Lucky to escape with being hauled off the carriage.

I receive Extinction Rebellion's emails, and have made donations to their legal defence funds.

From my reading of the mails, this action occurred due to the way Extinction Rebellion is organised. Small sub-groups can go ahead

with their actions, even if peer sub groups, or national organisers disagree.  The peer sub groups, and the national organisers

did disagree with this action going ahead.

Discussions are now taking place to learn from this, and to prevent it happening again.

5 minutes ago, beefybake said:

I receive Extinction Rebellion's emails, and have made donations to their legal defence funds.

From my reading of the mails, this action occurred due to the way Extinction Rebellion is organised. Small sub-groups can go ahead

with their actions, even if peer sub groups, or national organisers disagree.  The peer sub groups, and the national organisers

did disagree with this action going ahead.

Discussions are now taking place to learn from this, and to prevent it happening again.

XR using the cell structure?

Fits in with the Rebel nickname 

18 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

They have been. Most of their actions this week were like that. Embassies, financial institutions that invest in environmental destruction, the treasury and other government departments.

On a slightly separate note, I don't get why people are so keen to make out like XR are massive hypocrites. It's as if some people think the only ones entitled to protest inaction on climate change are people living in caves and sowing naturally fallen leaves together for clothes. I find that weird. Do people feel personally attacked by XR or something? They are protesting environmental destruction and human and animal suffering. If that's not your bag, so be it, but why do so many people feel the need to kind of undermine them (or revel in it when they undermine themselves)? They're not coming after you. They're coming after the billionaires who profit off your suffering. I don't get the animosity.

Look at the words and phrases used. People are conditioned to hate such protests and protesters.

45 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Look at the words and phrases used. People are conditioned to hate such protests and protesters.

Conditioned? 

I don't think so. The problem with protests and marches is that it disrupts every day lives. That's why they are usually counter productive. 

XR do themselves no favours precisely because of the hypocritical nature of their message. 

"They're not coming after you. They're coming after the billionaires who profit off your suffering. I don't get the animosity."

Yeah good at see Princess Marie-Esméralda of Belgium and others target the ultra rich workers at Billingsgate market and Smithfield Meat Market.

I vote green at council elections. I recycle as much as I can and haven't been on a plane for years. And the main result that I can see of recent protests is that XR are making it harder for ordinary workers to get to their work, some of them on minimum wage, some doing vital jobs like nursing, some on zero hour contracts who need every minute of work offered to them.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

That's an argument against zero hours employment practices, not XR

No, it's typical of the kind of thing that happens when streets are closed off.

Someone apparently was trying to see their dying father a few weeks ago and the protests meant that by the time he got to the hospital his dad had died. I'm guessing he won't be joining with XR any time soon.