England v Argentina

51 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

But you were suggesting that there was a correlation between a country's 'lack of respect for women' and them not performing as well as their men's team. In Italy's case, that's bollocks. Latin, religious and absolutely a leader in women's football for 30 years.

Seriously???

Here's Italy's entire Women's World Cup record:

1991 QF

1995 DNQ

1999 Group stage

2003 DNQ

2007 DNQ

2011 DNQ

2015 DNQ

2019 tbc

They last reached the semis of the Euros was in 1997, when they were runners up. In the 5 tournaments since then they've made the QF twice and been knocked out in the groups three times.

They've never been higher than 10th in the FIFA World Ranking, and they're currently 15th.

Even domestically, no Italian club has made the final of the Champions League, or really been a big fish in the competition.

Where did you get the idea that Italy was "a leader" in women's football? It's just not true.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Seriously???

Here's Italy's entire Women's World Cup record:

1991 QF

1995 DNQ

1999 Group stage

2003 DNQ

2007 DNQ

2011 DNQ

2015 DNQ

2019 tbc

They last reached the semis of the Euros was in 1997, when they were runners up. In the 5 tournaments since then they've made the QF twice and been knocked out in the groups three times.

They've never been higher than 10th in the FIFA World Ranking, and they're currently 15th.

Even domestically, no Italian club has made the final of the Champions League, or really been a big fish in the competition.

Where did you get the idea that Italy was "a leader" in women's football? It's just not true.

For contrast, in the same period the Italian men have won the World Cup and been runners-up; been runners-up in two Euros; been ranked as high as 2nd and have an average ranking since 1993 of 8; and their clubs have won the Champions League 12 times, with 16 runners-up.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

For contrast, in the same period the Italian men have won the World Cup and been runners-up; been runners-up in two Euros; been ranked as high as 2nd and have an average ranking since 1993 of 8; and their clubs have won the Champions League 12 times, with 16 runners-up.

I'm not talking about World Cups. I'm talking about the years before that:  the fact they had a women's league in the sixties and the first women's professional league in the world. They were leaders. They respected women. 

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

I'm not talking about World Cups. I'm talking about the years before that:  the fact they had a women's league in the sixties and the first women's professional league in the world. They were leaders. They respected women. 

Ah, ok. In that case I'd say they were a leader than that they are a leader. Question then is why everyone passed them since, while their men have stayed at the very top. IMO it's because the national associations, coaches etc took women's football more seriously than they did in Italy.