All Time Lowland League Table

FairWeatherFan

With the occasional chat that in x number of years the Lowland League will be completely different. I was wondering what the all time standings were to try and guess who the surprise candidates would be for hanging around.

image.png.3d15a41bb58c6b7e8d3eb2ce9e02d7fe.png

Of course not every season has had the same number of games or the same the clubs in it, so it's not a fair comparison. Certainly those clubs with a negative Goal Difference stand out as those clubs expected to battle relegation in the coming years. Same is probably true for Dalbeattie and CSS who are only in single digits with at least 3 seasons under their belt.

Stirling University is probably the one that goes a little unmentioned as hanging around mid to long term.

To try and compare everyone fairly, this is the average for a fictional 30 game season. Edusport finishing bottom of the current clubs is somewhat surprising to me as they've never even finished in the bottom two since joining the league.

image.png.b4a96772c719f1d691b533f014c8dd79.png

image.png.aa81fe1814fa9b765a5040924a975b6d.png

Edited by FairWeatherFan
Switched grey projection as HRA had higher pts than Threave

1 hour ago, AlansHotBath said:

This is interesting, thanks.

It reminds me, I was wondering the other day who the all-time top scorer in the Lowland League would be. Does anyone have this info?

Chris Geddes will be well up there

13 minutes ago, calmac25 said:

Only 7 of the original teams now, hopefully some of the borders and D&G teams can keep their heads above the water

Three finishers directly above Whitehill last season were Dalbeattie, Vale and Gretna.

Gala finished above unis and Edusport but seem to be in flux.

Points will certainly be prisoners with Berwick and Bonnyrigg joining.

Vale Of Leithen. In 2016 they only had Preston and Threave below them. In 2017 they had Hawick Royal Albert, Selkirk, and Preston below them. In 2018 they only had Hawick Royal Albert below them. In 2019 they had Dalbeattie Star and Whitehill Welfare below them. Most of the teams that have finished below them are already relegated. Even in relatively strong seasons in 13-14 and 14-15, most teams below them have later been relegated.

10 minutes ago, lowenan said:

Vale Of Leithen. In 2016 they only had Preston and Threave below them. In 2017 they had Hawick Royal Albert, Selkirk, and Preston below them. In 2018 they only had Hawick Royal Albert below them. In 2019 they had Dalbeattie Star and Whitehill Welfare below them. Most of the teams that have finished below them are already relegated. Even in relatively strong seasons in 13-14 and 14-15, most teams below them have later been relegated.

It's going to be tough on them. We've seen how Borders football is struggling. At least they've got that history of keeping it close and there's not much between themselves, Gala, Dalbeattie, Gretna and Edinburgh University.

Gala and Gretna seem too solid to go down with the current teams involved. Dalbeattie needs to stop the downward trend, but did finish the season well. Edinburgh University always seem one poor season away from relegation.

Edited by lowenan

The top EOS teams did really well in the cups against the weaker Lowland League sides next season. Whether the west juniors get involved or not, there is bound to be some change in the coming seasons. I think the top teams (Spartans, East Kilbride, BSC, East Stirlingshire, Kelty Hearts), the new teams (Berwick Rangers, Bonnyrigg Rose), and the best of the rest (Colts, Uni. of Stirling, Gretna), are more likely to focus on the top half rather than relegation. CSS was the real surprise this season, but think they’ve got it all to prove again in the coming season. Gala’s got history on their side, but could struggle in coming seasons, unless they manage to turn things around. Vale Of Leithen, Dalbeattie, Edusport, Edinburgh University, all seem to be prime candidates for a future relegation. With the current system replaced with Penicuik, Broxburn, Hill Of Beath and Linlithgow Rose.

Very interesting, my gut feeling is the winning total is dropping every year as the quality at the top end increases - 60 points should see you there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, BS7 said:

Very interesting, my gut feeling is the winning total is dropping every year as the quality at the top end increases - 60 points should see you there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

Maybe the quality has changed at the top, but last season EK playing 2 games less won the league with an 11 point gap, while the previous year Spartans won it by 2 points on the last day.

It was in fact the 3rd biggest gap between 1st and 2nd in the league since it was formed, only bettered the two times Edinburgh City won the title.

11 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Maybe the quality has changed at the top, but last season EK playing 2 games less won the league with an 11 point gap, while the previous year Spartans won it by 2 points on the last day.

It was in fact the 3rd biggest gap between 1st and 2nd in the league since it was formed, only bettered the two times Edinburgh City won the title.

Fair enough. I was looking at it as lost Edinburgh City, gained East Stirling and Berwick Rangers, gained Kelty Hearts and now Bonnyrigg.

I think it looks like a cracking league next year, and I hope nobody runs away with it.

Unless it's us. Obviously.

Just now, BS7 said:

Fair enough. I was looking at it as lost Edinburgh City, gained East Stirling and Berwick Rangers, gained Kelty Hearts and now Bonnyrigg.

I think it looks like a cracking league next year, and I hope nobody runs away with it.

Unless it's us. Obviously.

Aye there's no doubt about it it will be a cracking league.

EK are the benchmark though. Shire will be better than last season so would expect them in the mix along with BSC and Kelty. Think Spartans will go back a bit as the've lost a few players but they are always good for pulling out a few jems out of the 20s side while CSS probably over performed and it will be hard to repeat last season. Bonnyrigg will be in the top 5 or 6 imo.