Gender Self-ID

ForzaDundee

17 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

This could split Scotland and play into the yoons hands.  We don't want to do this just now, we are going to be holding an Independence referendum where we all need to be behind each and everyone of us in our battle towards YES. 

Can we concentrate on that first and then afterwards, when we are Independent, make changes to the laws.  The last thing we need right now is something that will divide us.  (Divide and conquer) 

Let us hold off for a wee while.  

It affects a tiny proportion of people who have been treated unfairly in the past. A few people on twitter who have stirred hysteria from both sides shouldn't be allowed to skew the issue into something it isn't. Scouring the internet to find rare examples of trans people behaving badly isn't grown up debate. How often have people on here have even encountered trans people far less seen them trying to invade woman only places? 

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

This doesn't affect me but if it makes people who are marginalised in society a little more comfortable I'll back it to the hilt

And this is exactly it.  

The people most affected by this seem to be in favour of it.  

It's largely irrelevant as a voting issue, but if it makes Scotland a more tolerant society, I'm all for it, and it's the exact thing that needs to be addressed if independence is ever going to be anything other than an end in itself. 

That Glinner bloke and that Wings bloke seem to be incandescent with rage about it, so that's another plus.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

From my understanding the real issue is to find a middle ground between recognising transgender rights and preserving existing women's rights.

Whether the extremists on both sides will allow that another matter.

Genuine question, and I'm pretty sure P&B is the wrong place to ask, but why is there a dichotomy between the two?  Why does one transgress on the other?

What are the actual practical implications of being able to self-ID as a gender other than the one you were assigned at birth?

You get to use different changing rooms. Get to play different sports. Get sent to a different prison?

Imagine being enough of a bigoted moron that you actually consider people being given additional rights and having a major tenet of their existence respected by society as being a negative thing.

99.9% of the c***s angry about this will not be affected by it in any way.

8 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Imagine being enough of a bigoted moron that you actually consider people being given additional rights and having a major tenet of their existence respected by society as being a negative thing.

99.9% of the c***s angry about this will not be affected by it in any way.

Nobody's objecting to equal rights, the problem is men.  As always. If you can self-identify as a woman, you gain access to women's places. How can you protect women from deceitful men?

I was at a wedding recently with gender neutral bogs which was a bit weird and everyone seemed a bit worried about the prospect of doing a shite.

On this the Terfs are obviously mentalists with lots of bigots using it as cover for their hatred but the question of how to preserve protections for women around things like refuges is legitimate.

4 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Nobody's objecting to equal rights, the problem is men.  As always. If you can self-identify as a woman, you gain access to women's places. How can you protect women from deceitful men?

Does this happen a lot then? Enough to deny rights to people who do nothing wrong?

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

I don't think you can write legislation on the basis of probability. It needs to work for everyone.

Clause 28 banned teachers from promoting homosexuality, without any real evidence it was happening either.