Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

Yes, but we can’t escape the reality of what happened. How men fared in their first WC is utterly irrelevant to this.
Managed correctly, that was as near to an unassailable position as a Scottish National team could probably reach. First World Cup or not, that we lost a 3-0 lead in 15 minutes is criminal and is a reflection of naivety and exceptionally poor game management from the manager, man or woman. If Tommy did that at St Johnstone we’d be furious.
Only last week Maxwell was saying he saw no reason that Kerr couldn’t manage the men’s national team. I disagree and I hope that it never happens - for a number of reasons (none of which are to do with gender before our latest superhero defender of the oppressed, Gordon S, appears).
I agree with you, and there's no need to be a dick.

I agree with you, and there's no need to be a dick.

If you recall Gordon you started it when you told me to get myself to somewhere after I, with no alterior motive, referred to the manageress! We’re even now :)
I was also thinking that Kerr herself played hundreds of games, as did her assistant (still Andy Thomson?). You’d think between them they’d have enough playing match experience (over close to 1000 games) to have a wee think to themselves at 3-1 and put a plan in place to see it out.

On 21/06/2019 at 21:36, Bairnardo said:

FWIW I have always felt that there must be a way to automate the offside decision. Trackers, radar, whatever. And that for me wpuld be enough.

This for me is the only way to do it, just now VAR goes to a camera and if the camera isint directly in line with the offside how can they be certain and then give it.

10 hours ago, Adam101 said:

This for me is the only way to do it, just now VAR goes to a camera and if the camera isint directly in line with the offside how can they be certain and then give it.

This is the big thing for me.

Photo finishes work in horse racing and athletics because the camera is directly on the line. How can a camera sitting at an angle give a definite decision about two players who could be 10 or 20 yards apart?

The same thing applies with the penalty. Alexander was off the line on the camera behind the goal but from that angle there is no way to tell exactly when the ball is kicked.

Edited by Detournement

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

Photo finishes work in horse racing and athletics because the camera is directly on the line. How can a camera sitting at an angle give a definite decision about two players who could be 10 or 20 yards apart?

The same thing applies with the penalty. Alexander was off the line on the camera behind the goal but from that angle there is no way to tell exactly when the ball is kicked.

That surely depends on the cameras used and the software. In tennis, Hawkeye isn't placed on the lines, it's dotted around the stadium and the software creates the image. I've no idea what they use for offside in football, but it's easily possible for software to infer offside lines using the other lines on the pitch.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

That surely depends on the cameras used and the software. In tennis, Hawkeye isn't placed on the lines, it's dotted around the stadium and the software creates the image. I've no idea what they use for offside in football, but it's easily possible for software to infer offside lines using the other lines on the pitch.

It uses far more powerful computers to totally augment the pitch with cameras tracking the flight of the ball and then lay that over the exact dimensions of the pitch which are known. The offside lines are never known. Offsides are meant to be decided by humans having a toe closer to the goal really is not giving anyone an advantage.

The thing that pisses me off about the offside rule these days is the fact that the attacking player can be 1m away from the ball and deemed to be not interfering with play, yet the defending player who is deemed to be playing the attackers onside can be 25m away.

On 24/06/2019 at 18:53, Detournement said:

There is a camera directly in line with the goals , presumably to be used mainly to see whether the ball has crossed the line, but it should also clarify the exact position of the keeper at a penalty kick.

Seems very strange to me that, as far as I know, we’ve never seen the still photo from that angle showing the first penalty that Alexander saved , either during the live transmission of the match or anywhere else.

In contrast , a slow motion replay of the re-taken penalty was shown from the goal-line camera angle during the live transmission within a few seconds , as shown in this still photo

A5F27BE9-D5C3-4329-983A-0370C6925187.png

A couple of things.

1) You can't just disregard rules. The second that happens, it opens every can of worms imaginable. The sheer idiocy of FIFA on VAR has been mental. Which goes to...

2) ...VAR doesn't have to be shite. It's been used fairly well doon in Australia. It's not perfect, but it takes the flow of the game into consideration and a lot more trust is put into the VAR officials themselves to make decisions, which means the refs can just let the play go in the meantime. Mistakes are made, but it's definitely a good balance.

36 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

On the tennis point: there the play is finished, another will be along in moments and hundreds in the match, it's a factual decision, and almost instant. So totally different to VAR in football.

Hawkeye in tennis is comparable to goal line technology.  Not much in common with VAR there. 

On 25/06/2019 at 21:38, HibeeJibee said:

On the tennis point: there the play is finished, another will be along in moments and hundreds in the match, it's a factual decision, and almost instant. So totally different to VAR in football.

On 25/06/2019 at 22:16, Lurkst said:

Hawkeye in tennis is comparable to goal line technology.  Not much in common with VAR there. 

Yup. The moving off the line at a penalty thing is very much like a foot-fault in tennis... and they don't use hawkeye for that, only the line judge and the umpire.