Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

3 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

I’m also just generally sad about Scotland going out of a World Cup. I’ve never witnessed this. It’s a fuckin pain in the hoop.

I'd like to tell you that the pain lessens after the 7th time, but it doesn't really.

8 if you include the Under 16s

29 minutes ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

My final bit about the timing...

First VAR review took 2:55. Second took 0:12, so there should have been 3:07 for VAR alone. There were 5 substitutions in the second half, 2 Scotland players were cautioned for time wasting and both goes at the pen took an eternity (2:24 for the first and 1:01 for the second). I'd have expected added stoppage time of around 7 mins and she played just over 5.

And now for some good news (unless you were looking forward to more chaos!)...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852

7 minutes is nonsense, it's 90 minutes - time when the penalty happened + stoppage time deemed necessary up until penalty - a few seconds for 1st penalty, all that should be added onto the clock as the 2nd penalty is taken, 9/10 minutes minimum.

Edited by ayrmad

My final bit about the timing...

First VAR review took 2:55. Second took 0:12, so there should have been 3:07 for VAR alone. There were 5 substitutions in the second half, 2 Scotland players were cautioned for time wasting and both goes at the pen took an eternity (2:24 for the first and 1:01 for the second). I'd have expected added stoppage time of around 7 mins and she played just over 5.

And now for some good news (unless you were looking forward to more chaos!)...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852
Still ignoring the fact that the game actually stopped at 86 minutes and that there was a maximum of a minute of actual football played after that.

Guest Bob Mahelp
19 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

That referee should be removed from the tournament.

Sadly, that's a general weakness of the women's game. 

These officials turn out weekly in front of a handful of people, and now they're expected to make vital decisions at a world cup with thousands watching.

It's like asking the guys who referee amateur football in Scotland to turn up and officiate at an Old Firm Scottish cup final. 

You’re right to say it was naive and poor game management. She’s done well in the job all told though. Best Scotland boss since Craig Brown. A great platform to build on for a team with little tournament experience. She’ll learn from her errors and the team will come back stronger I hope!

Hoping “that it never happens” (I’m assuming you mean just Shelley Kerr and not all women here, but correct me if I’m wrong) is a bit needless really. The men’s team isn’t really in need of a new manager right now anyway.

I only meant Kerr and in context of Maxwell’s comments. Otherwise we’re back to the same old blazers mentality and the parochial way the SFA has been run. Once someone gets in the door they never seem to be shown out of it.
If an alien/African/Asian/Muslim/English person/woman/gay person/small person/ginger person (what have I missed?) managed the team, and managed well, I’d have little to say except well done. Shelley Kerr failed, hugely in my opinion. Same as McLeish did. So, whether man or woman, if they fail, they’ve failed.

VAR conspired against us for probably the 3rd game in a row, however we still collapsed after 70 minutes when Kerr should have been making changes, at least 3 players were done in, including Smith who was culpable.
It's probably one of the singularly worst refereeing displays I've ever seen but nothing can change the results or what happened. It's a shame Kerr won't shoulder some of the blame but instead is focusing on VAR instead.
However, they were there, they qualified for a world cup, these women did something many may never do and for the first time ever people are really talking about women's football. The downside is, it's likely to be remembered for all the wrong reasons and not for the achievement of qualifying.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Cuthbert, Weir and Little were playing a completely different sport to the rest of their teammates last night. A startling chasm in ability across the squad.

There are going to be teams in the last 16 without any players as good as those three. That's what is so frustrating for me.

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Still ignoring the fact that the game actually stopped at 86 minutes and that there was a maximum of a minute of actual football played after that.

The 3 goals were conceded in about 10 minutes of actual playing time.

As for VAR, imo they should only use it for obvious errors and the way to decide that is to give the VAR room one minute to decide whether to refer it to the ref. If it takes them longer than that, the ref’s decision stands. When the ref goes to the telly, they get to review it twice. If they don’t see anything in the two viewings that changes their mind it wasn’t an obvious error, so the decision stands.

Just do what the NFL do, give the head coach two challenges, or what tennis do. VAR is becoming a joke, while the goal line technology that could have shown England should never have won the World Cup in 1966 is a great thing.

Here’s a point. If we had VAR in Scottish fitba’, AND it was used the exact way it was last night, how many of the St Mirren v Dundee United penalties at the Twenny Twenny Wan would have been re-taken? Frankly, they’d still be taking them right now, and Beaton would still be booting the rebounds into the net, while Neil Doncaster would still be crying into his Bovril as a ‘big team’ failed to beat wee diddy shite.

However, I digress.

Edited by pozbaird

11 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Just do what the NFL do, give the head coach two challenges, or what tennis do. VAR is becoming a joke, while the goal line technology that can show England should never have won the World Cup in 1966 is a great thing.

Here’s a point. If we had VAR in Scottish fitba’, AND it was used the exact way it was last night, how many of the St Mirren v Dundee United penalties at the Twenny Twenny Wan would have been re-taken? Frankly, we’d they’d still be taking them tomorrow, and Beaton would still be booting the rebounds into the net, while Neil Doncaster would still be crying into his Bovril as a ‘big team’ failed to beat wee diddy shite.

However, I digress.

You'd like to think after a couple of penalties the goalkeepers would realise and stop doing it though.

I have no issue with them cracking down on it, it's always irritated me. You always have the linesman standing on the goal line watching it yet the goalie steps 2-3 yards off the line and saves it.

The issue I think is there has been a change in the law which they are wanting to apply rigidly at the same as using VAR to spot it, it's a double whammy for the goalies. These goalies aren't used to be being pulled up for this, but not only that they are getting cameras study their feet from every angle to make sure they don't do it. To be fair to the ref though she really clearly tried to point out to Alexander before the penalty not to move forward early, and they saw in the France v Nigeria match that things like this were being pulled up at penalties. If she's still not able to leave one foot on the line after being warned then I've no sympathy.

There is certainly a debate to be had over whether this is the type of thing to use VAR for, but by the laws of the game, which Alexander was fully aware of, then it was the correct call.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Guest Bob Mahelp

Am I right in saying that if we had gotten that stick on VAR penalty against Japan, and hypothetically drew the game, we would have qualified last night in 2nd place ? 😖

19 hours ago, HibsFan said:

I think the fundamental point is, who asked us if we wanted VAR?

The officials at the top decided it was coming in and TV has gone along with it.

It will change and/or ruin how we watch football, and yet we had no say in the matter?

Of all the pish being spoken on this thread , this post tops the lot.

Who, exactly , is the “we” or “us” that should have been consulted ?

Edited by A96

Guest Moomintroll
Of all the pish being spoken on this thread , this post tops the lot.
Who, exactly , is the “we” or “us” that should have been consulted ?
Exactly, the IFAB decide it, after that it has to happen. That said these new directives are an utter clusterfuck when combined with VAR, they are not going to last very long in the current form but it is just a shame that the Scottish Womens team had to be the ones who got it in the shorts to prove that it was unworkable. Watch it getting dialled down & eventually pretty much ignored over the next couple of months.

Exactly, the IFAB decide it, after that it has to happen. That said these new directives are an utter clusterfuck when combined with VAR, they are not going to last very long in the current form but it is just a shame that the Scottish Womens team had to be the ones who got it in the shorts to prove that it was unworkable. Watch it getting dialled down & eventually pretty much ignored over the next couple of months.
Absolutely this.

Maxwell is her boss and she was in the middle of a World Cup. What did you want him to say? "No, she's shite and her achievements in women's football are worthless."

Well of course not. Your response fails to allow for him simply not talking her up in that manner. He could have said she has done well in qualification and we look forward to seeing how far she can take the team. And stop there. I don’t consider it wise for him to have continued on. I did say so at the time, not just after last night’s debacle.