Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

On a positive note, it’s good to see football fans getting as irate about the women’s team as they do about the men’s team. That’s progress.

When the women were getting thrashed on the way to a 6-0 humping by England in the 2016 Euros I just rolled my eyes and switched off the TV. Now people seem to actually care what happens to them.

Hardly. If that happened to the men's team in a world cup I'd be in an absolute state of seethe today and probably for weeks.

I was disappointed last night but when it was done I switched it off and went to bed.

38 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There writes someone who has never experienced a pressurised sporting situation.  Alexander's nerves and composure were shot thro after the decision to retake the penalty, and I'll hazard that like me, she's probably wondering today how every penalty she's ever seen has passed of without retake - it was a piece of utter shite.

If you doubt what I say, watch that second penalty again - Alexander is so confused she's like a drunk trying to stay on their feet by the time the ball is struck.

What's it got to do with me? She was either off the line or wasn't. She was. As far as that highlighted sentence is concerned, my experience (which you have NO knowledge of) is totally irrelevant. 

Yes I agree she was in shock after that and that's understandable.

Re previous history on pens - things have changed and unfortunately VAR has arrived. I've never fancied it and still don't, but it WAS correct. As someone else said - do we need to look back at non sanctioned passbacks to confirm things have changed.

4 hours ago, H Wragg said:

There is, actually.

Unfortunately for Kingjoey it's from the penalty that actually went in.

Oops. Unfortunately I have been a twat with that (again). However, there is a photo, not from the goal line, that suggests that the keeper had part of her left foot on or above the line. Competition changing decisions should surely only be made on conclusive evidence. 

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Oops. Unfortunately I have been a twat with that (again). However, there is a photo, not from the goal line, that suggests that the keeper had part of her left foot on or above the line. Competition changing decisions should surely only be made on conclusive evidence. 

The decision certainly wasn't taken using that photo as it's far too misleading, I thought you only got this sort of eyes wide shut from the ugly sisters fans.

Also, to all those trashing Shelley Kerr and the team for their performances this WC, remember that the men’s team’s first WC they lost their two games 1-0 and 7-0. It’s a start, and it’s a damn sight better than any Scotland Men’s team’s done in my lifetime. Allez Ecosse 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿[emoji22]

Yes, but we can’t escape the reality of what happened. How men fared in their first WC is utterly irrelevant to this.
Managed correctly, that was as near to an unassailable position as a Scottish National team could probably reach. First World Cup or not, that we lost a 3-0 lead in 15 minutes is criminal and is a reflection of naivety and exceptionally poor game management from the manager, man or woman. If Tommy did that at St Johnstone we’d be furious.
Only last week Maxwell was saying he saw no reason that Kerr couldn’t manage the men’s national team. I disagree and I hope that it never happens - for a number of reasons (none of which are to do with gender before our latest superhero defender of the oppressed, Gordon S, appears).

Hardly. If that happened to the men's team in a world cup I'd be in an absolute state of seethe today and probably for weeks.
I was disappointed last night but when it was done I switched it off and went to bed.

Don’t worry yourself. The men aren’t getting to a World Cup anytime soon.

Yes, but we can’t escape the reality of what happened. How men fared in their first WC is utterly irrelevant to this.
Managed correctly, that was as near to an unassailable position as a Scottish National team could probably reach. First World Cup or not, that we lost a 3-0 lead in 15 minutes is criminal and is a reflection of naivety and exceptionally poor game management from the manager, man or woman. If Tommy did that at St Johnstone we’d be furious.
Only last week Maxwell was saying he saw no reason that Kerr couldn’t manage the men’s national team. I disagree and I hope that it never happens - for a number of reasons (none of which are to do with gender before our latest superhero defender of the oppressed, Gordon S, appears).

Yup. She was badly out managed in all three games, and is now passing the buck on to the officials.

A competent manager and Scotland are still in the tournament. Dare I say it, but everything Hope Solo said about Kerr after the England game was demonstrated last night.

The problem with VAR, for me, is that it's like there is almost 2 different codes of football now. The one we know, and one where you will get lots of incident like the one last night in every single game.

It's almost as black and white as saying 'VAR at every level or not at all'.

You’re right to say it was naive and poor game management. She’s done well in the job all told though. Best Scotland boss since Craig Brown. A great platform to build on for a team with little tournament experience. She’ll learn from her errors and the team will come back stronger I hope!

Hoping “that it never happens” (I’m assuming you mean just Shelley Kerr and not all women here, but correct me if I’m wrong) is a bit needless really. The men’s team isn’t really in need of a new manager right now anyway.

28 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Reminds me of the ending to the Truman Show.

what_else_is_on.gif.3b202d8e4cc636e8f08e57b1ac74ab2d.gif

Edited by Hedgecutter

If the ‘keeper coming off her line warrants a VAR review then the substitute situation should have, too, IMO. There must be a much greater advantage to a team having their substitute barely enter the pitch thus not being ready to defend a free-kick than the goalkeeper is gaining by being 3 inches off her line.

EDIT: VAR at all if it was up to me, but if they insist on using it then the substitute scenario is and was far more important than the ‘keeper being slightly off her line.

3 minutes ago, smpar said:

If the ‘keeper coming off her line warrants a VAR review then the substitute situation should have, too, IMO. There must be a much greater advantage to a team having their substitute barely enter the pitch thus not being ready to defend a free-kick than the goalkeeper is gaining by being 3 inches off her line.

EDIT: VAR at all if it was up to me, but if they insist on using it then the substitute scenario is and was far more important than the ‘keeper being slightly off her line.

What about any player who takes a tumble under slightest contact

Tonnes of players are at it nowadays, lose possession, take a tumble.  Got possession high up pitch want to time waste, take a tumble

Good stuff:

We qualified for it at all.

It certainly appears that the Scottish team, and women’s international football, has taken a huge leap.

We are interested in the players, manager, and can enjoy the tournament as a ‘proper World Cup’.

Our pink away kit is smart.

Bad stuff:

We shat it.

Kerr is just as likely to make a cnut of things as Vogts / Levein / McLeish / delete as appropriate.

Some of the referees in the women’s game make Willie Collum look competent.

VAR is turning into a monster.

Disappointing as our exit was, I am hugely encouraged by the fact we have moved far, far away from the days of ‘just hope they swap shirts at the final whistle’. I have a whole new-found respect for the women’s game, and have enjoyed the games for what they are. I have no need to compare it to the men’s game, any more than I need compare the talented women golfers I enjoy watching in the Solheim Cup to Bubba Watson smashing it 375 yards down the fairway.

Well done for getting there Scotland. Shame you fcuked it up, but look how many of us now actually care that you fcuked it up.

That must mean something.

Edited by pozbaird

57 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The problem with VAR, for me, is that it's like there is almost 2 different codes of football now. The one we know, and one where you will get lots of incident like the one last night in every single game.

I'm coming to the same conclusion. I really can't enjoy televised football with VAR and last night was a difficult watch. Watching live in the stadium must be close to traumatic. Other sports almost make the decision part of the spectator process but the decision making in football is cumbersome. I do feel that VAR is necessary but we need to consider how it is applied. Taking last night as an example I feel that the situation of a goalkeeper being on/off the line doesn't merit VAR, the referee and assistant should be left to make such decisions. On current trends we'll be using VAR to decide throw ins on the half way line in injury time with one team leading 5-0.

My final bit about the timing...

First VAR review took 2:55. Second took 0:12, so there should have been 3:07 for VAR alone. There were 5 substitutions in the second half, 2 Scotland players were cautioned for time wasting and both goes at the pen took an eternity (2:24 for the first and 1:01 for the second). I'd have expected added stoppage time of around 7 mins and she played just over 5.

And now for some good news (unless you were looking forward to more chaos!)...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852