Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

2 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

While it is strange they haven't shared it surely they have it if they have it for the scored penalty?

It on the B side of the plane hitting the pentagon. 

Just for some clarity on this. The total time spent on the 2 VAR reviews was 4:45.   On top of that, for numerous substitutions and 2 cards for Scotland time wasting, the ref played a whole 30 seconds more - clearly wrong, but nothing like the 10 mins that some people think should have been played beyond the 90. I was expecting another 3 or 4 mins when it was stopped. But hey, it stopped them scoring or indeed us scoring and still not going through!

The Ref simply wasn't in a position to give the pen. It wasn't stonewall, but was a foul and while a bit over the top, I'd rather they properly considered not giving it for so long, than simply jumping in after 30 secs perusal (which would have upset many on here).

The keeper was off the line, despite an excessive briefing from the ref before the kick was taken. No idea why the ref felt any need to explain the laws to her!

We can't blame Argentina for playing to the whistle when our sub wasn't on, never mind in a defensive position. The Ref whistled to restart - prematurely and that indeed is something that should never happen - that's down to her and the 4th official. They're probably back in N. Korea by now.

Oh and for those saying the standard of officials at this tournament needs looked at - while men are excluded that's always going to be an issue, as (guessing) 90% of refs are excluded!

8 minutes ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

Just for some clarity on this. The total time spent on the 2 VAR reviews was 4:45.   On top of that, for numerous substitutions and 2 cards for Scotland time wasting, the ref played a whole 30 seconds more - clearly wrong, but nothing like the 10 mins that some people think should have been played beyond the 90. I was expecting another 3 or 4 mins when it was stopped. But hey, it stopped them scoring or indeed us scoring and still not going through!

The Ref simply wasn't in a position to give the pen. It wasn't stonewall, but was a foul and while a bit over the top, I'd rather they properly considered not giving it for so long, than simply jumping in after 30 secs perusal (which would have upset many on here).

The keeper was off the line, despite an excessive briefing from the ref before the kick was taken. No idea why the ref felt any need to explain the laws to her!

We can't blame Argentina for playing to the whistle when our sub wasn't on, never mind in a defensive position. The Ref whistled to restart - prematurely and that indeed is something that should never happen - that's down to her and the 4th official. They're probably back in N. Korea by now.

Oh and for those saying the standard of officials at this tournament needs looked at - while men are excluded that's always going to be an issue, as (guessing) 90% of refs are excluded!

From when the tackle for the penalty took place until the 2nd penalty went in was 7 or 8 minutes.

Surely the fact that they’re now changing the laws to suit VAR is a massive red flag for a sport for which 95% of games played will never have the technology?

The “off the line” rule for penalties was always one of those unwritten “just dinna take the piss” rules which football’s full of. It’s a judgement call based on the individual circumstances. To fundamentally change the way that rule is interpreted for certain games is mental IMO.

As a Glasgow City player, I’m going to assume that before this World Cup she won’t have played in any matches with VAR before. Why are we forcing players to change the way they play, for three games in their entire career? The three biggest games of their entire career? Not only is VAR wholly unnecessary, it’s incredibly unfair the way it’s being implemented for certain competitions.

It was a bottle-job from Scotland, but that should have been one hell of a redemption for Alexander. Saving a penalty in the last minute shows about as much bottle as is possible. You can’t discount that either. That’s still a part of the game.

I’m so so despondent. The end of that match last night was a farce. I can only hope that it acts as some sort of warning about tech in football, but I fear the tide’s only going one way.

I’m also just generally sad about Scotland going out of a World Cup. I’ve never witnessed this. It’s a fuckin pain in the hoop.

Also, to all those trashing Shelley Kerr and the team for their performances this WC, remember that the men’s team’s first WC they lost their two games 1-0 and 7-0. It’s a start, and it’s a damn sight better than any Scotland Men’s team’s done in my lifetime. Allez Ecosse 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿[emoji22]

The ref stopped play for the penalty in something like the 86th minute. There was barely another 30 seconds of football played afterwards - if I remember correctly, we kicked off, won a free-kick, launched it into the box, the ref gave a foul on the keeper, that free-kick was taken and the final whistle went.

Both sets of players were robbed of at least 4 minutes, but probably more like 8 or 9.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The ref stopped play for the penalty in something like the 86th minute. There was barely another 30 seconds of football played afterwards - if I remember correctly, we kicked off, won a free-kick, launched it into the box, the ref gave a foul on the keeper, that free-kick was taken and the final whistle went.

Both sets of players were robbed of at least 4 minutes, but probably more like 8 or 9.

We would probably have conceded another goal

After having scored one ourselves

That would fit our usual narrative

35 minutes ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

There writes someone who has never experienced a pressurised sporting situation.  Alexander's nerves and composure were shot thro after the decision to retake the penalty, and I'll hazard that like me, she's probably wondering today how every penalty she's ever seen has passed of without retake - it was a piece of utter shite.

If you doubt what I say, watch that second penalty again - Alexander is so confused she's like a drunk trying to stay on their feet by the time the ball is struck.

How is it fairly conclusive? Each frame is less than 1/20th of a second! The law doesn't say the keeper can't leave the line until the ball is struck.
Alexander was judged to the standard of a false start in a sprint race. We have seen other penalties saved since this rule came in where goalkeepers moved further and earlier which weren't called.

She’s quite clearly not on her line when the penalty is taken.

Going these by pictures she was still on the line after the ball was struck. Screenshot_20190619-231807.thumb.jpg.888e7ac87db49619b82eefe644435b1a.jpgIMG_20190620_114404.thumb.jpg.51a385d7bc7310072308122d418f824e.jpg

That’s pretty much the worst angle to judge it from. The postage stamp angle is a little better, and presents a very different picture which supports the VAR decision. VAR officials aren’t blind.

Again though, arguments about whether she was off her line or not are missing the point: it was entirely due to Scottish incompetence (and particularly on the part of the manager that they threw away a 3-0 lead in 15 minutes).

It’s so much easier to blame the officials and anyone else.

There’s a real issue with the laws, which have resulted in VAR being a farce. But last night wasn’t an example of injustice.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I'm assuming, like in American sports, this isn't always the case.  I'm also assuming that the referee/VAR saw a different angle. 

You can imagine them doing the announcement to the fans NFL style:

Penalty kick to Argentina

Scotland number 1, leaving goal line, yellow card

Ball is placed on the penalty spot

Second penalty

Set the playclock to 94 minutes

F*** you's all

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, parxyz said:

And if you think we got shafted... go check the highlights of France v Nigeria.

One crumb of comfort from our exit is that Nigeria might not now be eliminated due to that VARce.

On a positive note, it’s good to see football fans getting as irate about the women’s team as they do about the men’s team. That’s progress.

When the women were getting thrashed on the way to a 6-0 humping by England in the 2016 Euros I just rolled my eyes and switched off the TV. Now people seem to actually care what happens to them.

VAR is a good idea turning in to a monster ; but let's not detract that losing 3 goals in 16 minutes is criminal.

Really enjoyed watching them over the three games, and was gutted last night. I hope and think its certainly done a lot to raise the profile of the Womens game. I'm not going to try and blag what little I know - from the three games/odd bits on Alba before hand - but I don't understand how Smith stayed on for the whole game ; why Shelley Kerr didn't make changes and tried to slow the game down? Naivety thinking we can score more as they are done?

Whilst there's some good talent in there. The defence look a bomb-scare and think they have kept a clean sheet in only 2 of their last 17 games. The keeper has looked good most of the time and the bits I seen of the Euros and Gemma Fay - Alexander looks 10x better than her - you could argue she might have done better for the second goal , but she pulled off 4 or 5 saves in both the Japan and England games to keep us in it.

I really hope they don't blame this on the referee/VAR, when they are looking over the campaign in a few weeks when its a lot less raw than last night. Yes to an extent they can feel hard done by VAR - especially the Japan game - but the real blame last night was shipping 3 goals in 16 minutes and not making changes nor subs until it was far too late.

Getting to the WC was a great achievement, so there has to be a perspective in this. 15 years ago or so the womens team were getting hammered much like ladies rugby team embarrass themselves these days, so they have come on leaps and bounds in such a short period. Back-to-back tournament qualification is an outstanding achievement especially the WC is harder to get to from UEFA than the mens one, and whilst they should be disappointed they didn't go through, there should be reflection too on what has been a great couple of years for the ladies team, and even if they are mirroring the mens side by going out in the first round, then what a heartache that is (actually just getting to a tournament).

Overall - we blew it, and had little breaks via referees and VAR, but as a cliché as it is 'you make your own luck' etc going out is squarely our own fault - we were 3-0 in the 75th minute!  ; but hopefully we learn from this and it encourages them to go on and get to the Euros and even go a bit further next time.

Its been a blast though. Never thought I'd get as excited an animated throughout the tournament and I've really enjoyed it. Not just Scotland, but the whole tournament.