Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

There was a match changing mistake made by the referee in not awarding the stonewall penalty to Argentina. If that was at the other end we'd be screaming for VAR, and if it happened in a match without VAR people would be calling for it to be introduced.
Did she make a decision of no penalty though? or did she 1. Miss it completely? Or 2. Decide to not give it and let VAR decide for her? That's the problem and the point I'm getting at, 3 possibilities, none of them cover the ref in glory. Decision of no penalty, shes incompetent, was as clear a pen as you will see. Miss it, see above about incompetence, was she in the wrong position? Let VAR decide, shitebag and shouldn't be refereeing at the top level.
I don't have an issue with the penalty but the way it came about is all wrong to me and will cause major problems this season in whatever competitions use it. If it continues in this fashion the epl will be in uproar by September.

There was a match changing mistake made by the referee in not awarding the stonewall penalty to Argentina. If that was at the other end we'd be screaming for VAR, and if it happened in a match without VAR people would be calling for it to be introduced.
Did she make a decision of no penalty though? or did she 1. Miss it completely? Or 2. Decide to not give it and let VAR decide for her? That's the problem and the point I'm getting at, 3 possibilities, none of them cover the ref in glory. Decision of no penalty, shes incompetent, was as clear a pen as you will see. Miss it, see above about incompetence, was she in the wrong position? Let VAR decide, shitebag and shouldn't be refereeing at the top level.
I don't have an issue with the penalty but the way it came about is all wrong to me and will cause major problems this season in whatever competitions use it. If it continues in this fashion the epl will be in uproar by September.

Got up at 01:30 to watch this, highly entertaining at the least.

The penalty was a stone waller, why it took so long to make the decision. I don't know the exact ruling with VAR, but why do they take so long to look at it, then call the ref to then have a look.  Surely the decision can be made in video box, same a rugby union. Retake was also correct decision, like it or not, but we have opened Pandora box with this. Penalty shoot outs will be very interesting indeed.

I just think the management were to blame. 3-0 up with 15 mins to go and through it all away.  Kerr lost her marbles when she should have calm the f**k down all the players.  They were running and chasing the ball while it was our throw ins, when it was 3-1, lack of professionalism.

The ref was clearly out her depth at the end with both teams going crazy at her.

Anyway, I've still got my adopted country still in the tournament. Thailand.😎 A you're not laughing at us now are you!!!! 

Edited by SlipperyP

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

19's foul on Cuthbert in the bottom-left corner was a straight red.

Forgot about this in amongst it all, absolute shocker of a tackle and could easily have done Cuthbert serious damage. She also should have been on a booking for a wild lunge at Docherty 10 minutes previous. 

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

The retake of the penalty is utterly bizarre.
No way is VAR that anal in men’s football.

That said the 2nd goal was horrific goalkeeping. Gotta keep that out.

New rule - cannot move both feet off line before ball is kicked - one must remain on line. How it is policed without VAR though will be interesting.

Edited by cmontheloknow

I rewatched it and I'm astonished that Laroquette finished the game- she had three or four tackles that were yellow worthy before she got booked for a tackle that was nowhere near as bad as the others.

We've been absolutely mugged by VAR in this tournament.

7 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

Yes , we would but we would still agree they had been 'cheated' even if we enjoyedthe fact.

"Cheated" 😂

If Scotland didn't absolutely, completely, bottle a 3 goal lead then this whole situation is utterly irrelevant, staggering so many people prefer to say "if VAR IS USED RIGHT SCOTLAND STILL WIN!!!!" after watching them throw away such a scoreline.

Just accept they shat the fucking bed and stop handing excuses out, the Male team still get away with bottling a match against Italy because folk reckon the ref gave a free kick for diving.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Back, showered, watered.

1) That's a choke. No two ways about it. You don't lose a three goal lead in the last 15 minutes in a match you've mostly controlled without some heads going. Same old problem, a weak defence. Bad positioning and stupid panicky clearances. Lauder was dead on her feet and that led to one of the goals, I don't know why subs weren't made sooner. Lisa Evans barely made a successful pass in the whole game. But it was a choke that didn't have to be a calamity.

2) Caroline Weir is a God. Erin Cuthbert must be an absolute pain in the backside to play against. Neither deserve to be going home yet.

3) I've sort-of reserved judgment on VAR until experiencing it at a game. I'm now totally happy saying I'd rather go back to having more mistaken decisions than have this shit. Sitting there twiddling your thumbs for 5 minutes while some fannybaws in a box somewhere makes a decision. In rugby it's all on the big screen, you see exactly what the ref sees and you can hear the discussion if you want too. It's done quicker as you don't have the review, then the ref going to see for themselves. Rugby is also more broken up in general, with scrums, line-outs and penalties. VAR is for people who watch football on TV, but it's a huge clunking hole in the experience for those in the ground. If it can't be done like rugby then it should be binned - and in particular, it's anathema to what's good about Scottish football so we shouldn't even think about it.

4) The referee was a shitebag. 19's foul on Cuthbert in the bottom-left corner was a straight red. She booked one of our defenders because an Argentinian told her too. At one point there were two balls on the pitch, after play stopped Lee Alexander remonstrated with the lino about it as play should definitely have been stopped. The ref nearly booked her for timewasting. She let Argentina lump a free kick into the box the second our sub had come on - when does that ever happen? She blew for full time one minute after 4 minutes had been announced - fine, the four minutes may have started earlier, but did anyone tell the players? I've never see a match end in such confusion. All-in-all, a woefully inept performance from an official who shouldn't be troubling the knock-out games. Time to go home.

5) Same as on Monday night - if that's a re-take, then every single penalty I've ever seen was against the rules. And you can bet your arse there's absolutely no chance a decision like that gets given against a big country.

6) So in the end it was a 1986, but with a twist - blowing a three goal lead.

Agree with all of that, only thing is it was Kirsty Smith at full back not Lauder.

image.thumb.png.866732faa0da59c8b277bdfb6a698cd0.png

Hearing people on radio etc saying she had a foot on the line when kick was taken... trip to specsavers for some!

What has happened in previous penalties is irrelevant as this is a refinement to the laws from June 2019. It is not a postive refinement,but it is there nevertheless. Not liking it does not equate to a miscarriage of justice.

Edited by cmontheloknow

7 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Hearing people on radio etc saying she had a foot on the line when kick was taken... trip to specsavers for some!

What has happened in previous penalties is irrelevant as this is a refinement to the laws from June 2019. It is not a postive refinement,but it is there nevertheless. Not liking it does not equate to a miscarriage of justice.

The refinement in the law is to relax the rule, previously goalkeeper had to have both feet on the line. 

7 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Both feet are in mid air, which is allowed so long as at least one foot is above the line. There is absolutely no way that anyone can say from that shot that this is not the case.

Let’s see if this rule is consistently applied everytime. I have my doubts. In fact, I could pretty much state now it won’t be, as use of VAR is still very inconsistent.

From the initial TV view, which is what most people watching saw, there was nothing wrong with that penalty save.

Also, the time taken for officials to confirm things on VAR is an absolute joke. That penalty was a stonewaller. The TMO in rugby is better at it, and they often have to try and see through more bodies when it’s a disputed try.

In summary VAR has been a dreadful addition to the game so far.

What’s next for using VaR then? Stopping every corner to check for a free kick? 

Unless the technology or interpreting it speeds up quickly the stop start nature will ruin any enjoyment of watching the game.  As mentioned above, fine for shit stop-start sports like rugby. 

"Cheated" [emoji23]
If Scotland didn't absolutely, completely, bottle a 3 goal lead then this whole situation is utterly irrelevant, staggering so many people prefer to say "if VAR IS USED RIGHT SCOTLAND STILL WIN!!!!" after watching them throw away such a scoreline.
Just accept they shat the fucking bed and stop handing excuses out, the Male team still get away with bottling a match against Italy because folk reckon the ref gave a free kick for diving.

For once I agree with you.

Heard a few of them say post match we were outstanding and we feel hard done by.

Yes the ref was shite but throwing that away is inexcusable. Want to look at problems with mentality? This is exhibit A.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Sadly, VAR will f**k up more games than ours.

As to the referee, well that's simply part and parcel of the women's game.....most of them will rarely officiate under the kind of real pressure that a high profile World Cup game live on TV brings.  

We've had a bit of bad luck with them in the last 2 games, but again, we're not the only team to get the shitty end of the stick.

More pertinent is the fact that....for a long time now by the looks of it.....our defence as a whole isn't fit for purpose. Too many stupid, slack 10 yard passes, no real pace, full-backs who are constantly out of position, and 2 central defenders who look big and strong but are actually as weak as wet toilet paper. 

Virtually every single goal we conceded in this world cup came from an individual error. That should be the first thing the management team look at....solve these errors and VAR and pish refereeing won't matter so much. 

17 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

The refinement in the law is to relax the rule, previously goalkeeper had to have both feet on the line. 

I imagine it will be relaxed after this. 

They changed the penalty law to be given every time theres a pull in the box. Falkirk conceded three penalties to St Johnstone in one half, and common sense dictated that the law was relaxed.

Same will happen here, its just what happens when things change and the kinks are being worked out.

Shame its affected Scotland but it happens and every team will have decisions against them, focusing on it and ignoring the real problem is just daft, but it's easy to see why Kerr is trying to put the spotlight on the officials...

31 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

There are lots of different angles of the penalty, including several which suggest that she was much closer to the line than this, if not even on it. The only angle which can conclusively tell is the one looking along the line, and I haven't seen that. If the VAR team are using the angle above to make their decision then they are not doing their job properly, because it's not conclusive in any way.

I think what's worse here was that the keeper stepping off the line made no difference to the save as it was a tamely hit penalty. The basis for a retake then becomes questionable in the context of what advantage was actually gained by the infringement.

The rules or the interpretation of the rules need changed as that, and other new rules (such as handball) are ruining the game.