Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

The worst thing about tonight is all those young girls lost to football after that capitulation, this could have been a huge night in encouraging young females to take up football.

Shelley Kerr needs punted after her disastrous showing during this tournament, we've never had a manager of the mens side with such a shitty subservient wee team happy to be there mentality.

27 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Did we really blow this due to lack of confidence in ourselves though?

Players looked shellshocked, then it was heads-gone - not like they expected it.

Poor game management to be 3-0 up and cruising then screw-it-up.

I'm not saying that was the reason for tonight's result but just in general that is how the majority of people in Scotland live their life.  When this was first brought to my attention I was told to accept any compliments without trying to dumb down whatever it was that had resulted in the compliment.  Since then I've found I generally feel a bit better about myself.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I disagree. If it takes a full 8 minutes to  make a decision and carry out the resulting award when it should have taken two at the very most, it's not effective at all. 

Especially when that 8 minutes does not then get added on at the other end. If this is the way forward, then they HAVE to pause the clock for VAR decisions until the point where play is restarted again. That is the only way it will ever be effective or approach efficient. 

But the point is VAR worked effectively, it got the big decisions right. You’re talking about the application of it, which still needs work. 

I don’t like VAR one bit but tonight wasn’t some VAR disaster - no worse than the rest of the time it’s used. Had England been knocked out in such circumstances this place would be full of people laughing their cocks (sic) off.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

14.3 The goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot on/in line with the goal line when the kick is taken; cannot stand behind the line.

yip and she wasn't,  I hate this rule, absolute hate it but they wont change it.

The only way for a keeper to have any chance is to move side to side on the white line, a change to every goalkeeping coaching at penalty kicks,  nightmare

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why wouldn't it be?

She broke the law so it was retaken, its not debatable. Blame the manager and players who bottled a three goal lead, not the officials who were simply, correctly, doing their job.

Why didn't VAR check notice that the free-kick in the build up to the penalty was taken when a subsituted player was still on the field of play?

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Oh i understand the rule. I was asking more where do you draw the line on what VAR is used for.

When it first came in - i don't think checking the position of a gk at a penalty was on the list.

It's pretty clear what it is to be used for - goals, penalties, red cards, and mistaken identity. Since the offence of the GK having both feet off the line results in a retake (if missed) i.e. another penalty, VAR can intervene.

Edited by Ginaro

1 minute ago, Muzza81 said:

But the point is VAR worked effectively, it got the big decisions right. You’re talking about the application of it, which still needs work. 

I don’t like VAR one bit but tonight wasn’t some VAR disaster - no worse than the rest of the time it’s used. Had England been knocked out in such circumstances this place would be full of people laughing their cocks (sic) off.

Penalty should've instead been brought back to the free-kick as subbed player was still on the field of play.

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

It's pretty clear what it is to be used for - goals, penalties, red cards, and mistaken identity. Since the offence of the GK having both feet off the line results in a retake i.e. another penalty, VAR can intervene.

How many times did it intervene in the men's world cup last year?

3 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I'm not saying that was the reason for tonight's result but just in general that is how the majority of people in Scotland live their life.  When this was first brought to my attention I was told to accept any compliments without trying to dumb down whatever it was that had resulted in the compliment.  Since then I've found I generally feel a bit better about myself.

Dindy you're one of the best fuds within the Killie fanbase.

1 minute ago, Dindeleux said:

From when I was at school people got slagged/bullied/battered for being smart and knowing the answers in class.

Mmm, not so sure that's just a Scottish thing lads. I went to school in England and smart kids were pariahs. The worst crime you could commit was to be a swot or a crawler. Us cool kids were thick as pigshit and proud of it.

That said; I remember circa 1988 drinking in a pub in Glasgow while one of my sister's mates was defending his support of the SNP and Scottish independence. 1/2 a dozen proud Scots guys standing round him giving all the reasons why Scotland couldn't possibly succeed as an independent country. Fuckit, maybe they're right.  

Just now, ForzaDundee said:

Penalty should've instead been brought back to the free-kick as subbed player was still on the field of play.

That’s not really the point in VAR though. Otherwise where do you draw the line? How far back do you go to pull up an incorrect decision? 89th minute goal and they need to rewatch the whole game.  

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Why wouldn't it be?

She broke the law so it was retaken, its not debatable. Blame the manager and players who bottled a three goal lead, not the officials who were simply, correctly, doing their job.

I'm not blaming anyone, simmer down.

I didn't say it was a wrong decision either.

We going to use VAR to check for throw-ins and corners now though, or just cherry pick which laws it gets used for. Would they check for encroachment?

I don't remember if any penalties were saved during last year's world cup - i certainly don't remember any taken penalties being reviewed.