Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

10 minutes ago, Richie95 said:

Is it too late to declare a FIFA conspiracy against Scotland? 

If anything we can blame ourselves. SFA have seemingly been content to seal clap VAR through IFAB in quick order, and similarly these alterations to penalties. I recall reading that some other members (Northern Irish and Welsh?) were more cautious but it requires 3 of the Home Nations to block a FIFA proposal unless the 4 delegates from FIFA are themselves split. That said it's also an issue of refereeing quality/consistency/etc.

I'll be 57 in August. I've seen Scotland men play in 6 World Cup finals, never making it out of the first round. I have no expectation of ever seeing them in one again.

And after that performance; if the women never make another one, that'll be fine by me.

My club team; Falkirk were deservedly kicked down to the 3rd tier after stinking up the Championship for far, far too long.

Then my local team; Colorado Rapids have for years, been either the worst or one of the worst teams in the USA.

I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed being a football fan. Part of me is desperate to say "Right that's it, I'm done." And yet, and yet...I just know I'l be back again next year. Why? WHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

She is totally to blame. Too much emphasis on this game.

Yup. 100% to blame. The VAR thing is a different argument, and with the exception of the non use for the handball against Japan, Scotland can’t really (but will) complain. The handball and leaving your line rules are jokes, no question, but tonight was entirely about a manager completely incapable of affecting not just one but three games.

Should the referee be granted asylum in France? Her performance has embarrassed her country on the global stage so I'd worry that she and her extended family might end up in a North Korean labour camp or something.

1 minute ago, ForzaDundee said:

English Premierleague is going to be an absolute farce next season if they are going to be using VAR in this way for handballs, pens etc.

yeah agree.  VAR is going to put lots of people off football.
The penalty kick rule is a nightmare and going to cause major hassle and the hassle will not make football matches enjoyable

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Not necessarily the case here - but referees can now do that if they think the team making the sub has wasted time i.e. gone slowly?

Perhaps not, unsure.

She blew the whistle for the free kick before the sub was actually made. 

The referee was way out of her depth. It showed at the end with the lack of added time - it was clearly too much for her. 

4 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Surely her feet are on the line when the ball is struck?

In the same way that the ball only needs to overhang the line to still be in play?

Either way the referee was a complete and utter Muppet. As they have been throughout the tournament. 

I linked up the England u21 keeper saving a penalty last night where he was two yards off the line and it wasn't retaken.

VAR has been dodgy this tournament and it seems to help richer/bigger countries.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

The worst thing about this has been yet again Scotland fans will blame everyone but their own team and, particularly, management. Hope Solo was spot on, and it showed up tonight.

No-one can fault that team tonight for effort. That must be heart-breaking. Let's leave the post-mortems until tomorrow.

Sloppy crapbollocks from Scotland to be 3 up and get into that situation. Full stop.

But here's a few additional thoughts...

Team looked clearly out of steam before the goals were scored against us so why NO subs? Annoying American tv pundit questioned Kerr's tactical nous the other day. She may have had a point.

Defender Smith has been the standout liability bombscare merchant for the whole competition in my opinion with continual inexcusable giveaways in key positions. She may have done some good stuff but seems to have been at the heart of most, if not all, major disasters. Is there really no alternative or sub for this position?

Whoever coaches women (and men for that matter) to bugger about trying to waste time near the corner or anywhere else before you are 3 up and into the last minute of the game (AND NOT BEFORE) should be papped out the game. I bloody hate it. Doubly so if coaching that sort of negative and/or overly confident shite in Scotland, given our capacity for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

That was a penalty. The save, under the rules was a foul so the retake decision was (crappy but) totally correct.

WTF was going on with the full time thing? Inexplicable.

That ref seemed a right crabby cow. Also wondered at some points if she might pull some Mortal Combat-style 'finish her' manoeuvres.

Can't understand how/why VAR didn't give Scotland a penalty in the Japan game. But even if we'd got it we'd have no doubt just found another way to screw it up.

Rule changes and the use of VAR really need to be better thought out and applied with greater consistency, otherwise they risk ruining, not improving the game. I do find myself wondering if the old system of just thinking the ref is a twat might have been preferable.

The referee was absolutely abysmal but surely VAR actually operated effectively in this game? Not giving the Argies that penalty was a hilariously bad decision. The rules are shite but that’s not VAR’s issue.

I linked up the England u21 keeper saving a penalty last night where he was two yards off the line and it wasn't retaken.
VAR has been dodgy this tournament and it seems to help richer/bigger countries.
Yeah I saw that. Arguably the one last night was 'worse'.

There's no doubt Alexander was well off her line when she made the save but I think as the ball is hit there's no way that she can be adjudged to have moved off.

Scotland shouldn't have let that lead slip tonight, no doubt, but that still doesn't excuse the complete lack of comprehension of the LOTG by all officials involved.