Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

Getting this thread started to work out the permutations.

First of all, Scotland need to win (:lol:).

Looking at the third place teams in the groups, we're probably hoping for the following:

Group A
France to beat Nigeria, Nigeria finish third on 3 points with a -2 (at least) goal difference. South Korea would have to beat Norway by several goals to come back into any sort of contention.

Group B
Someone to win between China and Spain, and ideally by a couple of goals. This would leave one of the teams on 3 points and Spain with 0 (at least) GD and China with -1 (at least).

Group E

Netherlands and Canada to beat Cameroon and New Zealand tomorrow, before the latter two play out a draw and both end up on one point.

Group F
Exactly the same as above, just swap in USA and Sweden for Netherlands and Canada and change out Cameroon and New Zealand for Chile and Thailand.

Will be clearer what we need to do by Wednesday. Heading over to this game. Hope we throw our caution to the wind and just go for it. Argentina have a great chance to progress also though and it won’t be easy. Just turn up for the fill 90 minutes this time Scotland. 

Having watched Argentina tonight I’m not that hopeful. They are a well organised and physical team. I think we will really struggle to break them down. At least they have to win to go through which might mean they come out a bit more. Got a bad feeling about it, but probably based on years of the men’s team finding new ways to not get out of the group. 

14 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Having watched Argentina tonight I’m not that hopeful. They are a well organised and physical team. I think we will really struggle to break them down. At least they have to win to go through which might mean they come out a bit more. Got a bad feeling about it, but probably based on years of the men’s team finding new ways to not get out of the group. 

I don't know about better players, but tactically they look far better. Far tighter and better organised at the back in particular.

I suppose the silver lining of Scottish teams' many incredible ways not to get out of a group (including the women 2 years ago) is that we have plenty of precedent. If we'd drawn today we'd have been on course for a 1998; instead it's looking a lot like a 1986.

Would be great to extend our stay and see what happens – nothing to lose and it would mean we won't be the first European team to be heading home. But the important thing is to win. We'll at least have done as well as we were expected to do.

Edited by Mr Heliums

On the assumption that we win, groups A and E look like being our best bets. If France beat Nigeria that'll do us and Cameroon and NZ in group E are one GD and at least one GS worse off than us in the event either win, of course a draw there would be ideal.

Wouldn't put too much on group F, even if the USA put a few past Chile, Thailand seem god awful and Chile could run up a score vs them in the last game.

edit: might have overestimated Chile 

Edited by Fuctifano

I would say that is quite accurate. would expect if we win, we will qualify, and probably two of A,E,F not make it through. All 3 of those combinations leave us with a round of 16 tie in Grenoble against the group B winner(AKA Germany). That’s probably the end of the road, but it’s a substantially Better tie than France, which would be the other possibility

Just looking at the groups and potential third place finishers. 

Group A

Nigeria on 3 points but with France to play. Lose and they’ll inevitably have a worse goal difference if Scotland win.

Group B

China or Spain likely. If they draw with each other they’ll be out of our reach. Ideally, Spain to beat China by 2 goals leaving them on -2 goal difference

Group C

Australia should beat Jamaica. Brazil on +2 so unless they get hammered by Italy then should finish with a better record 

Group E

Cameroon and NZ both on 0 points, -3 goal difference and playing each other. A draw would be perfect. Either wins by just one goal and they’d still finish short. 

Group F

Chile and Thailand on zero points and playing each other. Chile the only ones with an outside chance but currently sitting on -5 goal difference. Would need to beat Thailand by 4 at least 

All presumes a Scotland win of course which is the ultimate wild card 

On 14/06/2019 at 22:21, GordonS said:
On 14/06/2019 at 22:05, roverthemoon said:

I suppose the silver lining of Scottish teams' many incredible ways not to get out of a group (including the women 2 years ago) is that we have plenty of precedent. If we'd drawn today we'd have been on course for a 1998; instead it's looking a lot like a 1986.

Ifs buts

Failure awaits, in new and interesting ways, as managed 2 years ago

37 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Group B

China or Spain likely. If they draw with each other they’ll be out of our reach. Ideally, Spain to beat China by 2 goals leaving them on -2 goal difference

If Spain win either only 1-0 or 2-1 we'd finish above China with any win.