Bonnyrigg Rose 2019-20

bravehearts dad

1 hour ago, TheLad said:

Their first responder in their twitter was ironically a Bonnyrigg/Celtic fan, saying it wasnt fair to award Kelty the league as they could have been caught.

Terrible of him,he should just let wee Barry get on wae it,honest wee guy that he is.

1 hour ago, selfassemblyshire said:

How are we feeling in here then? Lost out by just over .1 points per game

Gutted, but, football seems secondary just now and the Lowland League had a hard decision to make.

6 minutes ago, BS7 said:

Gutted, but, football seems secondary just now and the Lowland League had a hard decision to make.

Well done , your attitude to this outcome is  great .

I shall make a point of attending  one or more of your home games next season .

1 minute ago, weeredbook said:

Well done , your attitude to this outcome is  great .

I shall make a point of attending  one or more of your home games next season .

Let me know when and we can get a blether and a drink.

Just now, bravehearts dad said:

Difficult decision but why make it now?

I suspect it's to protect the position of the Lowland League winners in the tier 4/5 play off scenario. If that is the case, then I think the league have to be applauded.

1 minute ago, bravehearts dad said:

Difficult decision but why make it now?

Think there's more to come. Possibly league reconstruction by the SPFL or automatically promotion from tier 5 next season. Who knows but there's more to this story than we know right now.

1 minute ago, BS7 said:

I suspect it's to protect the position of the Lowland League winners in the tier 4/5 play off scenario. If that is the case, then I think the league have to be applauded.

Agree I think making the decision now is about saying to the spfl, look we have both a highland and lowland league champion ready to play off and go up to spfl2, especially seeing the spfl seem to be considering possibility of league restructure as their way out of their current civil war. It clearly puts two non league names in the ring for any possible expansion of the spfl. 

7 minutes ago, BS7 said:

That’s fair enough but The Rose were still in with a chance of winning the League.

The club awarded the League still had to play away to BSC who held them to a draw in Fife, home to Cumbernauld Colts the only team to beat them in the League this season, and also had to come and visit NDP.  Can’t help but think it’s an unjust decision. If The Rose were unable to win the League  when play was suspended then I would not have had a problem.

C’mon The Rose 

24 minutes ago, morley said:

Agree I think making the decision now is about saying to the spfl, look we have both a highland and lowland league champion ready to play off and go up to spfl2, especially seeing the spfl seem to be considering possibility of league restructure as their way out of their current civil war. It clearly puts two non league names in the ring for any possible expansion of the spfl. 

Im not picking holes in the decision as its gonna be a nightmare whatever outcomes arrive..but is it not a bit off thinking about how the top team gets promoted whilst shutting the door on relegation 

1 minute ago, magoo said:

Im not picking holes in the decision as its gonna be a nightmare whatever outcomes arrive..but is it not a bit off thinking about how the top team gets promoted whilst shutting the door on relegation 

Not if it’s about opening up the SPFL to automatic promotion/ relegation. That has a massive benefit to the whole league.

2 minutes ago, bravehearts dad said:

That’s fair enough but The Rose were still in with a chance of winning the League.

The club awarded the League still had to play away to BSC who held them to a draw in Fife, home to Cumbernauld Colts the only team to beat them in the League this season, and also had to come and visit NDP.  Can’t help but think it’s an unjust decision. If The Rose were unable to win the League  when play was suspended then I would not have had a problem.

C’mon The Rose

Equally Bonnyrigg had to play East Stirlingshire and Spartans amongst others, plus Gretna who only lost 2-1 last time, on a pitch due hosting a game each Saturday.

20 minutes ago, bravehearts dad said:

C’mon The Rose 

It’s not the pools panel mate.

16 minutes ago, magoo said:

There are scenarios within the Lowland League that would see no relegation as things stand. Crowning a LL champion at least allows for a possible vacancy to be created for the the league champion(s) below.

To be fair its the only decision that could be made even this early. No chance of the league starting up again before the end of May. Will still be restrictions on crowd gatherings so no chance Bonnyrigg were going to play Kelty so although potentially it could have gone to the last game the correct decision has been made so congrats Kelty. Hopefully both Kelty and Brora will move into league 2 and maybe a one of play off for EOSFL and SOSFL for promotion to LL.

Also the Shire could have played there remaining game as they are all related to each other so social distancing wouldn't have been a problem!!!

Been a good season for the Rose shame about the ending but all to play for again next season

And with that take care all and stay safe.

32 minutes ago, magoo said:

If the lowland league can expand to 18, they can get around the unfairness of relegation with games unplayed while allowing teams in.

i think it would unfair on the league as a whole if no team got a crack at league 2.

I think what may be about to come out of the spfl civil war is that we will see it announced there will be no relegation from every division this year, but promotion only from every division. So Celtic crowned champions in the Premier, but no relegation from the Premier with the championship champion AND Runner UP both promoted so adding 2 teams to the Premier taking it to 14 clubs, and that same model then follows all the way down the spfl in each division. The spfl then accepts both the LL and HL Champs to balance out the numbers across the spfl leagues by adding 2 teams at the bottom of spfl 2.  Likewise that model goes into the  non league Pyramid, with the LL expanding via promotion into but no relegation from, and same between the EoS Premier/Conferences. So effectively every one shunts up to ensure the extra teams go into the spfl. With the expansion of the spfl would also come automatic promotion/relegation in and out of the spfl2 introduced. 

Edit; so in the spfl premier hearts aren't relegated, but Dundee United and ict go up from the championship taking it from 12 to 14 teams, Partick thistle aren't relegated but raith and Falkirk go up from spfl1 so keeping the championship at 10 clubs, Stranraer aren't relegated but cove and Edinburgh go up from spfl2 keeping the spfl1 at 10 clubs, and brechin aren't relegated but Kelty and Brora come up keeping spfl2 at 10 teams. Taking the total spfl to 44 clubs. Below that Threave come up from the SOS and Bo'ness from the EOS Premier to the LL, Vale of Leithen are not relegated taking the LL to 18 teams. The highland league just goes back to its desired number of 16 teams. 

Edited by morley

The one thing I did wonder was were Bonnyrigg aware of the decision prior to it being made public. It seems they were not. That's not great on the league, and disappoints me - but - the league haven't explained why that was the case.

53 minutes ago, BS7 said:

The one thing I did wonder was were Bonnyrigg aware of the decision prior to it being made public. It seems they were not. That's not great on the league, and disappoints me - but - the league haven't explained why that was the case.

They were and I think they say that in their statement. They were told a couple of hours before the official announcement at the same time as the other member clubs. I think what upset them is one or two media outlets managed to get a hold of the decision prior to the official announcement being made.