Bonnyrigg Rose 2019-20

bravehearts dad

10 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:

What happened to rab newcy?

They didn't like the fact he was fitba daft and would go to a match every day/night. Oh and his over enthusiastic passion for all things Liverpool F C didnt go down too well wi the younger generation is my take on it.  😉

I'm just back from the game. I though the first half was poor, with Buckie looking the more threatening side. Once Bonnyrigg got the opening goal I couldn't see them losing and in the end they saw the game out comfortably.

It's difficult not to make comparisons between Bonnyrigg and Kelty, given what they have done in recent seasons.  Kelty probably carries a bigger threat going forward, but Bonnyrigg has a better defensive shape.  It should be a good match up when they come up against one another next month.

For Bonnyrigg, they would have gone into this season hoping for a top 4 finish. Given how they are playing, they could easily win the league and progress to the 4th Round of the Scottish Cup, with a good 3rd round draw.

Off to Penicuik v Stenhousemuir for me tomorrow.  I think the home side will struggle to get anything from that one.

49 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm just back from the game. I though the first half was poor, with Buckie looking the more threatening side. Once Bonnyrigg got the opening goal I couldn't see them losing and in the end they saw the game out comfortably.

It's difficult not to make comparisons between Bonnyrigg and Kelty, given what they have done in recent seasons.  Kelty probably carries a bigger threat going forward, but Bonnyrigg has a better defensive shape.  It should be a good match up when they come up against one another next month.

For Bonnyrigg, they would have gone into this season hoping for a top 4 finish. Given how they are playing, they could easily win the league and progress to the 4th Round of the Scottish Cup, with a good 3rd round draw.

Off to Penicuik v Stenhousemuir for me tomorrow.  I think the home side will struggle to get anything from that one.

Bonnyrigg, didn't know which division they'd be playing in so I feel they would have strengthened much more had they known.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Unfortunately/fortunately (depending on your perspective) they won't be meeting on Saturday 23rd November due to the very tie described - Bonnyrigg will be playing Scottish Cup R3 that weekend.

My early season impression was Kelty had an extra dimension: but seeing their home walloping in the flesh last month shook that up.

Here's my take after attending tonight:

Suspect that was a rotten watch on TV. Torrential rain all day long had left he pitch very soft and neither side really got to grips with it. It was dry or drizzle during the tie but bucketed late-on.

Bonnyrigg came out of the traps and dominated opening 5-10mins, then it evened-out but Buckie had control of the middle period of the half and the hosts lived dangerously a few times. Referee was very liberal throughout the game until the closing stages - often letting heavy challenges and obstructions go or sufficing with another telling off - but booked Lee Currie for a fairly unremarkable foul. Sharp clearance from Brett and a good save from home 'keeper kept it 0-0 but Bonnyrigg came into it as HT approached.

Second half they were much the better - Buckie only forced a couple of saves from set pieces - and a mishit cross, then a mazy run from Hunter, were enough to earn a deserved win overall.

Excellent crowd of almost 1,700. Some twitter pics:

EHL_6WYWwAAMtoq.jpg

EHME0gWX4AEZvEY.jpg

EHMQMGRXUAAsq00.jpg

EHMQNVAXkAELzME.jpg

EHMQNVOXUAUnN9d.jpg

EHLdyj6XUAIRENH.jpg

EHLoJPaXYAA3r6I.jpg

Another marker of the seismic shift in eastern non-league football over the last 2 years... Bonnyrigg, top of LL at kickoff, march into Scottish Cup R3 beating HL leaders by floodlight live on TV.

Edited by HibeeJibee

11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It's difficult not to make comparisons between Bonnyrigg and Kelty, given what they have done in recent seasons.  Kelty probably carries a bigger threat going forward, but Bonnyrigg has a better defensive shape. 

No sure if you’ve been watching Bonnyrigg before, but big McGachie is out injured just now. That would’ve been some tussle between him and Lewis MacKinnon the bald no 5 who started at ICT, who I thought strolled through the game. Most of Bonnyrigg’s good work comes down the right where Brett is far too good for this level. Might watch the recording in a few days but for me the game turned on the cross cum shot. No way back for Buckie after that. Bonnyrigg are incredibly strong at home, have had a settled side for years, and I can see Robbie outwitting Ferguson yet in the 2 Kelty games.

5 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

No sure if you’ve been watching Bonnyrigg before, but big McGachie is out injured just now. That would’ve been some tussle between him and Lewis MacKinnon the bald no 5 who started at ICT, who I thought strolled through the game. Most of Bonnyrigg’s good work comes down the right where Brett is far too good for this level. Might watch the recording in a few days but for me the game turned on the cross cum shot. No way back for Buckie after that. Bonnyrigg are incredibly strong at home, have had a settled side for years, and I can see Robbie outwitting Ferguson yet in the 2 Kelty games.

I've watched quite a few Bonnyrigg games over the last three or four seasons. Their strength is their defence.  McGachie is a handful at times, but a bit hit and miss in terms of consistency.

Like Kelty they are capable of bullying other teams in the league just by their pure physicality.

Mackinnon was a striker in his ICT days- which is why I was surprised he was so rash with his late chance. Commentators put it down to a CH not being in that position much but he was once a full time professional footballer who played striker.