That Jo Brand "Joke"

Wrong, just wrong: Adlington had an unfair advantage at swimming because she has the face of a dolphin.  Pete Townshend was the back of the spoon thing and that was from way before Boyle came to the fore..

I haven’t googled this yet but I’m certain he said Addlington was the one who’s face looked like she was looking at herself in the back of a spoon and then a few months later said something along the lines of “what else was I supposed to make fun of? Their Olympic uniforms?” Wasn’t the only reason he left MTW but he was sick of being given subjects to talk about rather than just say what he wanted which is why he got some of his own TV shows.

Wrong, just wrong: Adlington had an unfair advantage at swimming because she has the face of a dolphin.  Pete Townshend was the back of the spoon thing and that was from way before Boyle came to the fore..

Boyle made the dolphin joke in 2008 and then the spoon joke in 2012.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/stage/2012/jul/30/frankie-boyle-versus-rebecca-adlington

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

I haven’t googled this yet but I’m certain he said Addlington was the one who’s face looked like she was looking at herself in the back of a spoon and then a few months later said something along the lines of “what else was I supposed to make fun of? Their Olympic uniforms?” Wasn’t the only reason he left MTW but he was sick of being given subjects to talk about rather than just say what he wanted which is why he got some of his own TV shows.

It was Rebecca Adlington and after she'd complained to the BBC she admitted she was being hypocritical as she had laughed at comedians making jokes at the expense of others. 

It was Rebecca Adlington and after she'd complained to the BBC she admitted she was being hypocritical as she had laughed at comedians making jokes at the expense of others. 

It is harsh as f**k but I can’t help but laugh at both the dolphin comparison and the back of the spoon every time I see her face.

I suppose the thing about Rebecca Adlington was that she hadn’t done anything to annoy anyone and she hadn’t really sought fame, she just happened to be good at swimming and fame was the consequence.

On 14/06/2019 at 09:13, 19QOS19 said:

What a load of shite. Comedians and Politicians are two entirely different things. If folk take what comedians say seriously they are clearly a fucking moron.

:lol:

Aye, you should definitely take what politicians say seriously though. 

I suppose the thing about Rebecca Adlington was that she hadn’t done anything to annoy anyone and she hadn’t really sought fame, she just happened to be good at swimming and fame was the consequence.

Yes it really was a shame for her to be on the receiving end of the joke, even FB’s jokes about Harvey were more appropriate on account of Katie Price constantly parading him about for her own personal gain in the public eye.

Danny Baker tried to be funny and failed badly, presumably we all agree on that. Where is the line crossed exactly?

Context and intent.

These two incidents have almost nothing in common.

And for the record comedians and politicians should be held to a different standard.

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

Katie Price constantly parading him about for her own personal gain in the public eye.

In what way was Katie Price 'parading' her son and what did or was she expecting to 'gain', out of interest? 

In what way was Katie Price 'parading' her son and what did or was she expecting to 'gain', out of interest? 
This is an interesting one.

My mate is a comedian and I've discussed this with him before, where he defended price's son as 'fair game'.

I'm not entirely convinced.

But she certainly bounces about from media appearance to media appearance and hasn't tried to shield her kids from the limelight, therefore her family becomes a part of her z list schtick.

4 minutes ago, Dele said:

She used him as a publicity tool for years to get herself attention like she did with other aspects of her socialite life. I'm not saying Frankie Boyle's jokes about Harvey were acceptable of course but they were more aimed at Katie Price who is a socialite and who is more deserving of criticism from comedians than the likes of Rebecca Adlington who is actually talented and does nothing to bring on any additional attention to herself.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

the likes of Rebecca Adlington who is actually talented and does nothing to bring on any additional attention to herself.

Apart from give interviews, appear on TV panel shows etc? 

On 6/13/2019 at 17:52, MixuFixit said:

Considering I still think Farage not dying in that plane crash was the moment we forked into the hell timeline, I don't think I can act all po faced at the joke.

Nah it was Brown calling Gillian Duffy "a bigoted woman" on tape.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Nah it was Brown calling Gillian Duffy "a bigoted woman" on tape.

Similar dynamic to the Brand witch hunt? 

Curmudgeon says something mean about a little englander and generates gammon indignation. Middle ground sides with gammon when they should have just conceded that it was a fair point. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Curmudgeon says something mean about a little englander and generates gammon indignation. Middle ground sides with gammon when they should have just conceded that it was a fair point. 

TBF that was about the only thing Brown got right when he was PM.

8 hours ago, coprolite said:

Michael McIntyre (yes, I know) was correct on this when he said that all Gordon Brown had to say when she was repeatedly asking him "where are all these Eastern Europeans coming from eh?" was "Eastern Europe" and he'd have swaggered off into a likely second term.

Your forgetting that literally everything Gordon Brown did in that election campaign turned to shit.  No doubt he would have walked off.  Tripped over some minority kid.  Stumbled to his feet and accidentally stamped on the wee lads face.  The photo of his foot on his face would be a symbol of British imperialism.  He’s mumble an apology and get public backing from Prince Phillip.  Plus his zip would be undone too.