Street Food / World Cuisine

Spain

On 13/06/2019 at 20:59, doulikefish said:

Love the soups in Asia when im there i basically live on soup in that part of the world
Currywursts are the food of the gods i buy curry ketchup and german mayonaise on the internet and theres always some in the house and get my bratwursts or frikkadelens from Aldi

Only ever had currywurst from the Xmas markets at Glasgow and Edinburgh. What the yellowish seasoning they sprinkle on top?

Only ever had currywurst from the Xmas markets at Glasgow and Edinburgh. What the yellowish seasoning they sprinkle on top?

If that counts as street food, the Edinburgh Christmas Market is terrific.

Tom Yum soup from a street stall across the road from my hotel in Singapore. Loved it so much that when I was back a year later, jet-lagged and wide-awake at 1am, i got up and took a cab across town to eat it again. My sinuses have never been so clear and my mouth's watering just typing this.

Sadly, I've been unable to find the place on Google street view, which makes me fear it's gone.

Every time ive been in India.Best bit of advice i got was go to a shop get 5 litres of bottled water then grab some food go back to your digs and let nature take its course.Just keep drinking the bottled water to flush yersel out and 24-36 hrs later yer good to go

I had the shits for approx 6 weeks when I first went out to India. I was getting all my meals cooked for me. I assumed they were buying from the right places (as I was giving her the dough to be able to buy from proper butchers) but turned out she was buying from local markets. I ended up getting the wife to buy food and cook, within a few days I was absolutely fine and never had it again.

The food hygiene practices in certain areas of India would give you the fear. A Scottish lad I worked with came home to find his maid defrosting a block of a dozen or so chicken breasts under the hot tap. Turns out she was doing this daily, removing one breast and refreezing the rest of them and repeating over and over...

I love seeing the programmes about the street food in the likes of Thailand, however I’m a lot more fussy now when eating abroad after living in India.

I had the shits for approx 6 weeks when I first went out to India. I was getting all my meals cooked for me. I assumed they were buying from the right places (as I was giving her the dough to be able to buy from proper butchers) but turned out she was buying from local markets. I ended up getting the wife to buy food and cook, within a few days I was absolutely fine and never had it again.

The food hygiene practices in certain areas of India would give you the fear. A Scottish lad I worked with came home to find his maid defrosting a block of a dozen or so chicken breasts under the hot tap. Turns out she was doing this daily, removing one breast and refreezing the rest of them and repeating over and over...

I love seeing the programmes about the street food in the likes of Thailand, however I’m a lot more fussy now when eating abroad after living in India.

I am in India one week a month more or less and never (touching wood, rather than cloth) had a problem. The hygiene is a joke and the water seems to be the key.

Have always ate local, cooked and avoided anything raw or could have been washed without cooking and seems work and avoid anything with tainted oil.

Ended up in a bar in Nashik last week that clearly was a den for ecoli. Discreetly dumped the food rather than eat it. Was starving on the drive to Mumbai, but better that than having constant shits.

As for Street food, you really can't beat South East Asia, with Thailand on top, but Vietnam, Indonesia and Cambodia are pretty good. Philippines not so, but you can pick up some nice things.

Singapore and Malaysia are probably the weakest.

Not food, but kvass in Russia during the summer is pretty good.

I survived India, but my mate didn't. I'm 100% certain it's the water that really does it too. Anything that's properly cooked should be fine, but beware any salad or anything unless you're somewhere swanky.

I'm fairly sure when i got it in Vietnam that it was from a can of coke/fanta or something which had been sitting out in an ice bucket in this rural place near the Chinese border. I realised as soon as I'd drunk from it that it was unlikely to have been filtered water/ice it had been floating around in and sure enough around 28 hours later...

Re: my pal in India, we're fairly sure it was when we were absolutely rubbered in a place called Bishnagarth and he did his teeth that night drunkenly using tap water as if he was at home. He got it far worse in India than I'd had it in Vietnam. He had to take to bed for more than 24 hours with it.

Edit: It's just the risk and the price you pay when you go to some absolutely awesome places for some awesome food though.

Edited by Spain

9 hours ago, Spain said:

I survived India, but my mate didn't. I'm 100% certain it's the water that really does it too. Anything that's properly cooked should be fine, but beware any salad or anything unless you're somewhere swanky.

I'm fairly sure when i got it in Vietnam that it was from a can of coke/fanta or something which had been sitting out in an ice bucket in this rural place near the Chinese border. I realised as soon as I'd drunk from it that it was unlikely to have been filtered water/ice it had been floating around in and sure enough around 28 hours later...

This is good advice for those wandering far from the beaten path in countries with a knock-off culture.  Bottled water is often bottled on the cheap, and left out in the sun.  It's a surprisingly common cause of food poisoning.

On 15/06/2019 at 18:38, Honest_Man#1 said:

Has anyone had any street food related shockers in terms of mild food poisoning? I think I’d love the street fold in Thailand and Cambodia but am a tad worried it leaves me on the toilet for half of my holiday. 

I have never had any problems in Thailand or Cambodia. The food in Cambodia was amazing and it costs pennies. Friendly people too. It pisses all over Thailand for me. Was in a pub in Siem Reap one night paying what worked out at 53p a pint. Amazing country. 

Taiwan is one of my favourite places for street food. The spicy beef noodles are something else. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2019 at 10:35, tree house tam said:

It's  no wonder you get the shits in India, the last time I was there I witnessed cows eating used fanny pads and flip flops, put me off beef curry for a while.

Well generally you won't find beef on many menus there anyway. But yeah, it makes you think twice about it after you've seen those poor buggers.

Back to the previous chat, Caipirinha's are outstanding by the way. The beach ones are very hit and miss, I had one that must have been 50% cachaca which was honking but certainly did the trick. Took a bottle of Le Blon Cachaca back home with me though after having a crash course in making them. Food-wise the pastels, caxhinas, brigadeiros and acai were all excellent too. Also, overdosed both on dulce de leche and even more-so on steak (and that was before I went to Fogo de Chao). Brazillians seem to live off either those street stalls, or steak. I decided not to risk eating the prawns on a stick at the beach, but the guys who grill you sticks of cheese... those things were worth it.

Edit: Also enjoyed one particular street vendor who obviously gave zero fucks: "Caipi! Caiprinha! Cerveja! Coca-Cola! Cocaine!".

Edited by Spain

Well generally you won't find beef on many menus there anyway. But yeah, it makes you think twice about it after you've seen those poor buggers.

One of the first thing I did anytime I stepped foot out of India was have a burger. Whilst I found a western butcher, the closest you could get was buffalo. Whilst an alternative, it wasn’t brilliant!