Street Food / World Cuisine

Spain

I've only recently started travelling further afield than Europe and it's immediate surrounding areas and one of my favourite things about exploring the world is getting to try all the brilliant local foods that many countries have - especially what tends to get called "Street Food".

I get quite excited about such things. There's a decent Netflix series about Street Food not long out which brought back some memories from some places.

I'm fairly capable in the kitchen so I've tried to recreate some in varying degrees at home, but it's just not the same.

Some of my favourites have been: Pho, Bahn Mi, Massala Chai, Lassi, Stuffed Paranthas, Pad Thai, and a little less exotic but still one of my all time favourites - Currywurst. Also of course there's a number of things I've tried that I have no idea what it was, especially some random curry I had in Cambodia, but having been a meat-eater all my days I could also have happily survived on a paneer based diet in India - I could have lived of roti & mutter paneer.

What's your favourite Street Food's or local delicacies from around the world? And what/where do you want to try?

Next stop for me is the wonders of Brazil next weekend.

Brazil was great for street food. In Rio we just seemed to snack all day rather than go for a proper sit down meal.
The meat and chicken pastels/pastries are brilliant and the spicy popcorn with bacon is worth a try. 
Coxhinas are superb

Love the soups in Asia when im there i basically live on soup in that part of the world
Currywursts are the food of the gods i buy curry ketchup and german mayonaise on the internet and theres always some in the house and get my bratwursts or frikkadelens from Aldi

I'm also a bit of a currywurst  fan. It's the first thing I go for when I hit the fatherland. Another great Berlin experience can be had at the Domke Fleischerei on Warschaur Street.  Basically this is a butcher shop that serves up huge plates of various stews, goulash and the like 

https://www.afar.com/places/fleischerei-domke-berlin

Going further afield I've had some great Falafel in Tel Aviv and some utterly amazing kebabs and the like from street vendors in Thailand.

14 hours ago, spacekid84 said:

Brazil was great for street food. In Rio we just seemed to snack all day rather than go for a proper sit down meal.

The meat and chicken pastels/pastries are brilliant and the spicy popcorn with bacon is worth a try. 

12 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Coxhinas are superb

Coxhinas and the pastels were two things I was really liking the sound of, also the pao  de queijo. I mean, it's bread and cheese. What's not to like? Also of course looking forward to the many Caiprinhas but it's not exactly street food.

Re: the currywurst, before becoming a bit more health conscious it's one of the dishes I'd mastered at home. Might have to resurrect my recipe for it.

19 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Goulash in a hollowed out crusty roll in Vienna at winter time.

Best ever would have to be fish tacos washed down with Victoria beer in a Mexican town.

Enjoy Brazil, ya lucky sod.

I haven't done goulash in a hollowed bowl but it does sound delightful. I've done the garlic soup one in Bratislava though. Enjoyable at the time, but the smell afterwards... ooft.

7 hours ago, Spain said:

Coxhinas and the pastels were two things I was really liking the sound of, also the pao  de queijo. I mean, it's bread and cheese. What's not to like? Also of course looking forward to the many Caiprinhas but it's not exactly street food.

Coxhinas and pastels are good drunken munchie snacks.  Look out for the wee guys selling ciapirinha's down the beach, cheap as hell and blow your tits off.

ETA... Ciapirinhas aren't the only thing the guys down the beach sell that's cheap and blow your head off.  Some good quality imports from Colombia if that's your thing.

Edited by MONKMAN

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Has anyone had any street food related shockers in terms of mild food poisoning? I think I’d love the street fold in Thailand and Cambodia but am a tad worried it leaves me on the toilet for half of my holiday. 

Yeah, my first time in Thailand i spent 3 days in my hotel room with the worst shits I've ever had. By the end it was just clear water coming out of my arse. By this time I was contemplating seeking medical attention but I fell asleep and when I woke  up it was gone. It was pretty painful it must be said.

Has anyone had any street food related shockers in terms of mild food poisoning? I think I’d love the street fold in Thailand and Cambodia but am a tad worried it leaves me on the toilet for half of my holiday. 
Every time ive been in India.Best bit of advice i got was go to a shop get 5 litres of bottled water then grab some food go back to your digs and let nature take its course.Just keep drinking the bottled water to flush yersel out and 24-36 hrs later yer good to go

18 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yup.  A rotisserie chicken in Erbil, Iraq.  It was a hospital/drip job. Lost a pile of weight, and was basically yellow.  Just horrendous.  Those drips are fantastic though, you feel great after being hooked up to one for a while.

I got the old "Delhi Belly" or whatever they call it these days, when I was in Vietnam. I'd just arrived back in Hanoi having been up north near the Chinese border. I'd felt a little off on the journey back, but no more than a winding road sometimes might cause, but then it hit me all of a sudden just as I was about to head out for dinner. Couldn't eat, went straight to bed, and resulted in a rough as hell 8 or 9 hours, then a delicate half-day to follow - I was fit enough to travel to Halong Bay safely though and I was back on the booze that night.

5 hours ago, Spain said:

Delhi Belly

Montezuma's revenge they call it in Mexico. Never had any trouble or took major precautions and was a long way away from Cancun and the touristy bits.