Euro 2020 tickets

On the face of it, it sounds like UEFA are being a bit arsey in the current climate, saying that they want fans, seemingly pandemic be damned, and if one country is against that they'll go elsewhere.

But Craig's right.  By June, you'd hope a lot of countries are in a pretty good position.  Not like Covid will be gone, but we should be in a position where there's a high enough degree of protection that there can be some kind of crowd in.  If it's a choice between the Scottish Government (or any government involved) saying they can't have fans, and another saying "fire in", they'd be stupid not to go for the latter.  

My question would be, say SG - or, again, any other government - say that by June, they expect everything to be alright, and they can have 15k of fans in at a minimum, or hopefully more.  Then it gets to May, and God forbid, the Twechar Variant comes out and our vaccine strategy is fucked, and everything is, well, fucked.  Are UEFA just going to go "these things happen" and move somewhere else, or would SG be under some kind of penalty for reneging on whatever deal they had?  I wonder if that's coming into the caution.  If it isn't, then I agree that their caution is seeming increasingly silly when we could be missing out on an incredible opportunity on the off chance the worst should happen.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If the choice is behind closed doors in Glasgow or in front of fans in Manchester, Marseille or Malmo, then surely it's in absolutely everyone's interests to go for the latter. UEFA make more money, it's better for TV viewers, it's better for the players and it's better for the fans who get to attend.

Well, they all have a month to get their shit together 

April 7th is the deadline, I can’t see the Government wanting the negative headlines a month before an election 

On the face of it, it sounds like UEFA are being a bit arsey in the current climate, saying that they want fans, seemingly pandemic be damned, and if one country is against that they'll go elsewhere.
But Craig's right.  By June, you'd hope a lot of countries are in a pretty good position.  Not like Covid will be gone, but we should be in a position where there's a high enough degree of protection that there can be some kind of crowd in.  If it's a choice between the Scottish Government (or any government involved) saying they can't have fans, and another saying "fire in", they'd be stupid not to go for the latter.  
My question would be, say SG - or, again, any other government - say that by June, they expect everything to be alright, and they can have 15k of fans in at a minimum, or hopefully more.  Then it gets to May, and God forbid, the Twechar Variant comes out and our vaccine strategy is fucked, and everything is, well, fucked.  Are UEFA just going to go "these things happen" and move somewhere else, or would SG be under some kind of penalty for reneging on whatever deal they had?  I wonder if that's coming into the caution.  If it isn't, then I agree that their caution is seeming increasingly silly when we could be missing out on an incredible opportunity on the off chance the worst should happen.
If there are issues for us and Ireland then they could threaten to reject the UK/Ireland bid for 2030. There may well be a UEFA wide vote between us and the joint Spain/Portugal bid in a couple of years to decide which to back in the main vote. Not sure if this is allowed after the recent changes to voting though.
Spain are obviously having issues too.

There are a few host countries that may be in a similar position to us.  Germany, Spain and Italy for example. I would be surprised if they can say for certain by April that they will let fans in. 

If UEFA are worried about this, it wouldn’t be a surprise if they moved the lot  to England.

As unpalatable as that would be, they would be guaranteed crowds for all games. 

I have 3 x €50 tickets for the Scotland v Czech Republic game at Hampden. It’s looking unlikely that I’ll get to use them at the moment, but cancelling never occurred to me. If Boris is up for games in England then that would be an option. I can’t see the ultra cautious Scottish Government going for it. Pain in the arse. I haven’t been to a tournament since France ‘98 and I was really looking forward to going to Hampden for the first game.

WOAH! Betty doon the road still has a bit of a chesty cough, we can't risk it. Cancel the Euros

If it goes ahead i can see 100 people being let in to Hampden of course all crammed in to one small section of the north stand.

Edited by red23

I think UEFA need to accept individual Government decisions and uphold the commitment they’ve made to the selected host cities regardless whether these stadiums can have fans in 
I think there should be scope for 10,000 fans in June and hope the ScotGov are doing all they can to offer these assurances but it shouldn’t be UEFA’s job to apply this kind of pressure
It’s not going to be a money spinner for them either way, cancelling a host city at this late stage would be shitebag behaviour, especially considering it’s outwith the Scottish FA’s hands 
I’d be gutted and annoyed at the ScotGov if they let this slip through their hands but I’d also be really fucked off with UEFA
Pretty much this

23 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Notwithstanding the fact that I think most of us are agreed it should be possible to have fans in stadiums - that article is blatantly a targeted leak from inside UEFA to put pressure on the governments of Scotland, Ireland and Spain. And as such it should be viewed in the same dim light as any other multinational company which tried to throw it's weight around in order to influence government policy. 

This 100%, given there is a month until the deadline there is presumably no need for the SG to be doing anything at this stage, but the pressure from UEFA working to some extent and getting the question to NS today. 

Anyone giving UEFA assurances is either putting money before public health or they're lying to them. Nobody can say what things will look like in June. Numbers heading in the right direction, things looking hopeful, but there's no certainty.

Although the realisation over the weekend that there is now only 3 months to go and given mass gatherings will effectively be the last thing that is allowed again has increased my pessimism about having fans in. 

The difference I think though would be the fans who would be at Hampden could all be traced, even to a pinpoint location where their seat is, and it would be a very organised and structured event. So yeah it's a mass gathering, but nothing like yesterday. But yeah, I don't feel anywhere near as optimistic as I did.

The coming weeks will be interesting in a sort of soul-crushing way.  Only question is whether we just see a slight rise in cases, or an explosion, as every video I've seen has been maskless fannies all grinding each other.  I doubt UEFA are going to do anything about it, as the Euros will be far more strictly structured, and the Scottish Government know that it benefits them far more to hold the games than go in a huff because of this.  The question isn't with either of those.  It's whether any potential rise in cases pushes back plans for reopening.  At the moment early-to-late April seems to be the slow opening.  If that gets pushed back a month, surely there's f**k all chance of them risking a large crowd at a game, even in safe settings.

But to be honest, us holding the games isn't much of a worry.  Far more scunnered by the crowds gathered near enough my doorstep at Auchenhowie, and all over the city that we're essentially tethered to via health authority.  If we sit unable to do much on a high-risk tier while the likes of Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen etc start getting to live their lives...

32 minutes ago, forameus said:

The coming weeks will be interesting in a sort of soul-crushing way.  Only question is whether we just see a slight rise in cases, or an explosion, as every video I've seen has been maskless fannies all grinding each other.  I doubt UEFA are going to do anything about it, as the Euros will be far more strictly structured, and the Scottish Government know that it benefits them far more to hold the games than go in a huff because of this.  The question isn't with either of those.  It's whether any potential rise in cases pushes back plans for reopening.  At the moment early-to-late April seems to be the slow opening.  If that gets pushed back a month, surely there's f**k all chance of them risking a large crowd at a game, even in safe settings.

But to be honest, us holding the games isn't much of a worry.  Far more scunnered by the crowds gathered near enough my doorstep at Auchenhowie, and all over the city that we're essentially tethered to via health authority.  If we sit unable to do much on a high-risk tier while the likes of Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen etc start getting to live their lives...

My guess is neither, and they'll continue to drop. Only a tiny percentage of the population of Glasgow currently have covid, so the number of people out celebrating yesterday who have it is likely extremely low, and possibly even zero. When you couple that with the reduced risks of outdoor transmission even if anyone was there, I would guess that that yesterday will have less impact on the figures than a single person with the disease going to a supermarket.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

My guess is neither, and they'll continue to drop. Only a tiny percentage of the population of Glasgow currently have covid, so the number of people out celebrating yesterday who have it is likely extremely low, and possibly even zero. When you couple that with the reduced risks of outdoor transmission even if anyone was there, I would guess that that yesterday will have less impact on the figures than a single person with the disease going to a supermarket.

Hopefully you're right, and I'm just yelling at clouds.  Or crowds.  Either.

My guess is neither, and they'll continue to drop. Only a tiny percentage of the population of Glasgow currently have covid, so the number of people out celebrating yesterday who have it is likely extremely low, and possibly even zero.

I was about to disagree with this but then realised that most Orcs are in the clinically and mentally extremely vulnerable and would show symptoms at the drop of a hat.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

the current rate per 100k for Glasgow is 104.6. Assuming there is at least one infected person who hasn't been tested for every one that has, that's 1 in 500 of the population. Working class people have higher rates, and young adult to middle aged people have higher rates than kids or older people. There were thousands of those twats, so it's probable that a few will have been infectious.

That said, transmission rates outdoors are low, even in crowds. And more to the point, it's a few thousand people for a few hours, which is a drop in the ocean compared to the tens of thousands of Glaswegians who still have to go to workplaces with others, and the tens of thousands who will use shops and public transport every day.

My guess is that last night's arseholery will cause some new infections, but it'll be insignificant.

Still doesn't excuse any of it of course, and there's no chance any of those knuckle-dragging imbeciles gave it any thought. We could have had ten times, one hundred times the infection rate and they'd have behaved exactly the same.

Edited by GordonS