Euro 2020 tickets

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

What would be more likely if it's moved to England/Britain: moving the tournament to align with potential easing or moving easing to align with the tournament?

Tournament won't be moved back to align with the easing, powerful European clubs would be apopleptic with rage. I could see the government moving it forward by 10 days though, given that cases will be minimal by June

6 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Would you really want this tournament though? This probably takes England out of applying for the Euros for the next 20-30yrs as it will go down as their tournament.

They were already hosting the semis and final anyway. If anything, helping UEFA out when they were in a bit of bother makes it more likely they can host it again soon.

6 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Would you really want this tournament though? This probably takes England out of applying for the Euros for the next 20-30yrs as it will go down as their tournament.

You can't guarantee getting it anytime soon anyway plus they will be wanting the world cup at some point. I don't think they'll turn their noses up. 

Looking at potential future hosts, only a handful of countries have enough stadia to host the 24 team tournament alone.

France and Germany hosted/hosting 2016 and 2024 respectively so they're out

Neither Spain nor Italy have hosted a European championship for over 40 years (For Spain it'll be 64 years by the time the 2028 tournament rolls around) so you'd expect them both to get their turn pretty soon. Both have expressed an interest in 2028, in Spain's case that would be a joint bid with Portugal who are a dead cert never to host alone again after the 2004 tournament led to most of the stadia turning into expensive white elephants after a few years.

Russia are a dead cert to get one soon

Turkey have bid five or six times in a row now, surely they'll get it eventually.

Outside of the countries already mentioned, I expect future European championships to be hosted jointly. We've already seen this in 2000, 2008 and 2012. Quite easy to see a tournament held in the Balkans at some point, a Scotland/Wales/Ireland effort, a Scandanavian effort, a central European tournament (e..g. Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary)

9 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It seems like Orban has built every team in the country a new ground recently. I guess they aren't as grand as I imagined them to be :lol:

Their stadia have come on a long way in the past 10 years but all bar the Puskas Stadion are below the requisite 30k capacity. 

The fact Hungary is essentially Budapest and a few small provincial cities hasn't really lended itself to hosting a Euros, possibly even since they went to an 8 team format. 

In The Times this morning:

"Scotland’s SNP leaders are said to be particularly intractable and it is understood they have proposed the lowest number of fans of any host city. Uefa remains hopeful the issues can be overcome and the need to shift their matches, perhaps to Wembley, can be avoided."

The first sentence wouldn't really surprise me. Of the 12 hosts we've probably allowed some of the lowest number of fans back over the last year.

53 minutes ago, charger29 said:

In The Times this morning:

"Scotland’s SNP leaders are said to be particularly intractable and it is understood they have proposed the lowest number of fans of any host city. Uefa remains hopeful the issues can be overcome and the need to shift their matches, perhaps to Wembley, can be avoided."

The first sentence wouldn't really surprise me. Of the 12 hosts we've probably allowed some of the lowest number of fans back over the last year.

The pejorative language in that quote pisses me off. Yes, how dare a government stop people from going to a spectator sport in the middle of a pandemic that has killed 130,000 people in the UK so far.

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 09.46.11.png

The pejorative language in that quote pisses me off. Yes, how dare a government stop people from going to a spectator sport in the middle of a pandemic that has killed 130,000 people in the UK so far.
2039081021_Screenshot2021-03-03at09_46_11.thumb.png.f6f30565232b3fc5575760c392bf175c.png
The only direct quotes in the article itself point towards the opposite of any hosts being removed (it's also the reason for the article itself).
I'd be amazed if we're not hosting come June. Around 15k would be my guess just now.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It's not the "middle of a pandemic" in this country though, it's the end of a pandemic.

Not yet it's not. We're nearly there but there's an awful lot of jumping the gun going on. People look at a line coming down and just assume it will keep going that way, but we were here in December too. 

14 minutes ago, charger29 said:

The only direct quotes in the article itself point towards the opposite of any hosts being removed (it's also the reason for the article itself).
I'd be amazed if we're not hosting come June. Around 15k would be my guess just now.

I think it's still possible that it will be nobody in Hampden, or 50k. We need to see how the next couple of months play out. If everything goes well then we could see a re-issue of tickets to people in Scotland/ UK only and be able to fill the ground. I know plans need to be made in advance but I hope they wait as long as they can to make a decision.

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Not yet it's not. We're nearly there but there's an awful lot of jumping the gun going on. People look at a line coming down and just assume it will keep going that way, but we were here in December too.

Not yet, but by June it will be. Unlike December, a massive chunk of the population have been vaccinated, and pretty much everyone will have been done by June.

It's not the "middle of a pandemic" in this country though, it's the end of a pandemic.
Really? I could have sworn we are still in lockdown and slowly fighting our way out of it. Looks like the tables are turning (thank feck) but I don't class that as 'the end'. On the downward slope of the Gaussian curve, maybe.

Edit: just saw your subsequent post. Indications are that we'll be close to the end of it by June, yes. However, I'm inclined to favour caution here all the way though. I've waited 23 years to see Scotland back at a tourney, but I'd prefer to forego the chance if there was any risk of knocking the whole pandemic effort back.

50 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Not yet, but by June it will be. Unlike December, a massive chunk of the population have been vaccinated, and pretty much everyone will have been done by June.

We can't know that yet. You're probably right but there's too much uncertainty.

Also, they'll only have had a first jab, which is 80% effective against strains currently circulating in the UK. 20% would still mean far too many cases if we were to open up, and new variants (like the Brazil variant) could be more resistant.

We can haud our horses for another month and see where we are. I fear opening up from 15 March will prove to be a mistake but I hope I'm wrong.

19 minutes ago, GordonS said:

We can't know that yet. You're probably right but there's too much uncertainty.

Also, they'll only have had a first jab, which is 80% effective against strains currently circulating in the UK. 20% would still mean far too many cases if we were to open up, and new variants (like the Brazil variant) could be more resistant.

We can haud our horses for another month and see where we are. I fear opening up from 15 March will prove to be a mistake but I hope I'm wrong.

My original issue was with the phrase "middle of a pandemic", which June will patently not be, accompanied by a complete non-sequitur of a graph. Who would have guessed that a cumulative number would keep going up? None of the following has anything to do with the football really, but I feel like it needs saying.

There's always going to be a case for doing this for another month, and another month and another month and so on. Plenty of people in a comfortable and well-off position would probably not be bothered with a lockdown until July, because they can still do their job, get paid, meet their family who live round the corner for a walk and so on. These people generally have this "haud our horses", softly, softly approach, because they are unable to see the damage that the restrictions are doing to thousands of others around the country.

Even the 15th March date will take us to 12 months of being unable to do most of the normal things that people want in life. Children a whole year old who haven't been able to meet grandparents, parents who have been completely shorn of a support network at the most difficult point in their lives. Businesses closed for an entire year, countless people out of work and uncertain what their future looks like. Every day that the lockdown is extended is a nightmare for these people.

The data so far suggests that the jag is far more successful than that at preventing serious cases of covid, which are essentially the ones which caused the lockdown to exist in the first place. It also appears to be reducing transmission. Therefore, if the whole population is vaccinated, even with a single dose, by the middle of the summer which is currently seeming more and more possible, the public health risk associated with covid will be minimal. People will still be getting it, a handful of people may even still be dying, but there will be very little pressure on the NHS, and it will be inhuman to continue large scale restrictions at that point.

June may come too soon for that, and it's very difficult to predict exactly what will be safe when you're still three months away, but I would hope the Scottish government are actually thinking about this logically and rationally and not taking the Helen Lovejoy approach that many others are still advocating.

Edited by craigkillie