Greg Taylor

jofis

14 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Interesting how people can drool over 21 year old Greg Taylor, but trip over themselves to criticise 22 year old Scott McKenna.

Both of them had decent games last night against some of the best players in the world.  Both made mistakes.....as did every single member of the side.....but in general both put in solid performances under the circumstances.

Perspective and all that. In one player, some people look only for the positives and ignore the mistakes. In another player, some people look only for the mistakes and ignore the positives.

Scottish fitba fans, eh ? 

Didn't trawl through the match thread but surely McKenna isn't getting grief for the first goal?

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

He did. A lot.

Not entirely surprising, if not disappointing.

Great movement from an £85m striker but we'll blame the young laddie who plays in the SPFL every week. We'll also forget his team mates who decided to stop playing to allow the cross to come in.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Not entirely surprising, if not disappointing.

Great movement from an £85m striker but we'll blame the young laddie who plays in the SPFL every week. We'll also forget his team mates who decided to stop playing to allow the cross to come in.

You're wrong. He was sleeping, he's the most overrated player in Scotland and if you defend him you're just a biased, burying your head in the sand Aberdeen fan.

Absolutely staggering that anyone could watch that game and not be impressed with the lad. 21 years of age, flung in at the last minute against one of the best teams in the world and acquitted himself well in nearly everything he did. 

2 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Absolutely staggering that anyone could watch that game and not be impressed with the lad. 21 years of age, flung in at the last minute against one of the best teams in the world and acquitted himself well in nearly everything he did. 

He definitely did well, far better than I'd expected on seeing the lineup. Doesn't necessarily mean he's got a huge future in international football but fair play to him that was a huge test.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

He definitely did well, far better than I'd expected on seeing the lineup. Doesn't necessarily mean he's got a huge future in international football but fair play to him that was a huge test.

Totally agree

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He's become a victim of the price tag AFC have put on his head. Every time he makes an error the usual suspects pipe up about the potential fee and take it out on him.

McKenna was slaughtered for a bad pass. De Bruyne made the same mistake later on.

The Scottish support can't leave club allegiances to the side. I can be guilty of it also.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

McKenna was slaughtered for a bad pass. De Bruyne made the same mistake later on.

The Scottish support can't leave club allegiances to the side. I can be guilty of it also.

Oh aye, if and when Ryan Jack plays regularly I'll be sharpening the knife :lol:

I don't think we would've seen much of a difference with Robertson or Tierney in there, which shows how well he did. The other two might have used the ball better but defensively he did well.

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

He did alright. Tough one for him against the worlds number 1 team. However he did make costly mistakes...

Robertson and Tierney both fit he will sadly be back down the pecking order. However great experience and on a whole he did alright.

There's also Barry Douglas when fit again.

Think Teirney might struggle to make a squad now with Taylor and Robertson, shame. Hope Taylor gets a big move this summer to carry on his development. Hopefully abroad or down south.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Didn't trawl through the match thread but surely McKenna isn't getting grief for the first goal?

McKenna is caught ball watching for long enough to lose Lukaku. It doesn't take long at that level. Like with Taylor, he's being asked to deal with a big step up in quality and maintaining that strict level of focus is vital at that level. There are plenty of positives to take from Taylor and McKenna's performances last night but at the same time there were vital moments when they got caught out. It's just a reflection of where they are at the moment in terms of their development. 

1 minute ago, SpoonTon said:

McKenna is caught ball watching for long enough to lose Lukaku. It doesn't take long at that level. Like with Taylor, he's being asked to deal with a big step up in quality and maintaining that strict level of focus is vital at that level. There are plenty of positives to take from Taylor and McKenna's performances last night but at the same time there were vital moments when they got caught out. It's just a reflection of where they are at the moment in terms of their development. 

I agree with the general comment but the movement from Lukaku is fantastic. Players playing at a much higher level will be caught out like that every weekend.

Sometimes we have to hold our hands up and admit our opponents are far superior. Something we struggle to do in Scotland, despite being self loathing by nature.

No, I watched the game objectively. Unlike you who saw what he wanted to see. 

I get it that you're happy someone from Greenock played, and that he's maybe your mate/relative/whatever but you're clearly unable to evaluate his performance objectively. Trying to say he wasn't at fault massively for the 2nd goal is just laughable, and immediately invalidates any other opinion you might have about his performance

How can you be at fault for a goal that shouldn’t have stood? The ref/linesman was at fault.

Guest Bob Mahelp
19 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I agree with the general comment but the movement from Lukaku is fantastic. Players playing at a much higher level will be caught out like that every weekend.

Sometimes we have to hold our hands up and admit our opponents are far superior. Something we struggle to do in Scotland, despite being self loathing by nature.

Both fair comments. 

Like the rest of the Scottish players, McKenna turned off for 2 seconds at the first goal thinking the ball was going out. That was enough time for Lukaku to get a step on him and I doubt if more than a couple of defenders in international football would have been able to prevent the goal once the cross came in.

Equally, Taylor at the second. He was guilty of ball watching, but such is the class of these Belgian players they were instantly aware that our defence wasn't holding a line, and found space accordingly. OK, De Bruijne was marginally offside but still his movement was terrific. 

None of us should be harsh on players like Taylor and McKenna, who are both youngsters still learning the game. How many central defenders are accomplished players in their early 20's ? The last Scot I can think of who fitted that category was Alex McLeish, and even he made his international debut in midfield and didn't become the defender he was for Scotland until well into his 20's.

These players need some breathing space, not constant sniping because they're not perfect.